LCR High temperature problem

Sulli

3rd Cupra
Yesterday, after driving through a deep puddle, the LCR temp guage went high over the usual 90, with the red light showing when it got near the top. Stopped car, fan came on, it seems very late, and temp went back down. Got car home, left for a few hours, and took it out again - seemed fine, temp stayed at 90ish, so near home booted it to see how it would cope - again temp went high so stopped.

Have done a search and think maybe the thermostat is faulty. Any other ideas?

Irritating cause I serviced the car with oil and a green filter at the weekend!!

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
had no codes when mine failed.

was it the metal impellor pump you had fitted?

ive not had any thermostat problems... but would have thought that would show as a fault? not sure tho

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
Check the fuses on top of the Battery, this controlls the cooling fan, when my water pump went it was full on 120 degrees all the time, when the fuse went the temp was 90 and while driving in clean air it stayed around 90 till i got in traffic then it climbed steadily.

check your coolant level as well becasue mine is really picky if its slightly low.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
I checked the car again with vag.com, and found that the temp showing on vag.com was a fair way out from the guage, so after a search I decided to replace the temperature sender. Did this, and tried again, but the fan wasn't coming on at all when stood idling, all the way up to what vag.com read as 108 deg, the guage showing around 100ish.

I am wondering why the fans aren't kicking in by that time to cool it. I checked the 30A fuses on top of the battery and they're all OK.
I also noticed, when checking under the bonnet, a very fast clicking sound from the box which is just in front of the expansion tank - never noticed it before......

I have a new cambelt kit and water pump with brass impeller to fit anyway, as the tech at SEAT I spoke to when I got the temp sender told me it sounded 99% like the water pump, especially if never upgraded from the crap VAG item. He said don't get the VAG water pump as they still use plastic, despite the fact that they all fail!

Will do cambelt and water pump, but does anyone think there may be a fan problem?

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Once the cars idling, can see water circulating from the top of the coolant tank?
Well with vag.com Not sure with lcr, if you do a ouput test in the instrument section, one of the test, does a fan test.

Big_daddy

Going going gone.....
Oct 20, 2006
Brummy
Try this on a cold engine, remove the cap for the coolant, start the engine, you should be able to see some water dripping from the top of the bottle, feel it with your finger. PLus the if one pipe is cold and another hot that will show as well.

Sulli

3rd Cupra
All sorted. New water pump with brass impellers, cambelt and tensioners. Parts cost me £82 at GSF (trade), and £45 labour (my mates a VAG mechanic). All sorted and not too painful, and at least I know I have another 70k miles of worry free motoring :)

Shame it happened now though - all set to get a remap with Custom-Code, and then this happens! I'll save till next time they have a discount, or may go for P-Torque who are cheaper anyway, when I next get paid.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.