overheating problem?

The yellow bird

This started the other nite had driven my mum 2 drop something off to a mate on the way back had a quick look at the temp gauge and it was slowly moving to 120 so i pulled over checked water and oil both were fine... thing is if i drive it slow it will sit at 90 as soon as i open up it slowly moves to 120 anyone know what the problem is? thermostat maybe? cheers Tom

May 30, 2002
Bedford (innit)
Yeah I had this also, I'll 2nd the water pump gone also.....

Not a cheap job either as the cam belt has to be removed, so you might as well have that done too while it's off :(

I reckon costs will be about £300 to £500 (mine was more the latter as I had to pay for a hired car whilst it was getting fixed)

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
I'm not saying its not the water pump but another thing it could be.
Before I fixed them I had a problem with my twin fans, these fans have two speeds, slow and fast. There is a resistor that controlls the slow fan speed that blows and causes the fast speed fans to pulse on and off.
You would notice this problem as when the fans come on it draws quite a bit of power from the engine.
Just another thought

BJM

Sep 25, 2005
Houston, Renfrewshire
Run the engine to temp and once the thermostat opens and the coolant is being circulated through the entire system, you should get water flowing from (If IIRC) the top hose into the expansion tank. But I ain't no Mechanic - its just a guess as will everybody else who makes a suggestion without seeing the car.

The yellow bird

sorry could u explain it a little bit better lol

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
if it overheats when idling.... its the fan fuses on top of the battery.

if it over heats when driving and cools during idle is more than likely the water pump which is common. make sure its replaced with a metal impellar pump, rather than the stock plastic.
as said cam belt and tensioner are worth doing at the same time. i paid 350 ish.

Stubbo

Nov 8, 2007
Stoke on Trent
I had the same with a golf GTI, ok on idle but when you were driving it the thing would overheat put a stat in it checked all the system and that turn out to be the water pump.

Traumapat have they replace the plastic water now with a metal if so it is about time.

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
I had the same with a golf GTI, ok on idle but when you were driving it the thing would overheat put a stat in it checked all the system and that turn out to be the water pump.

Traumapat have they replace the plastic water now with a metal if so it is about time.

i heard somebody mention they had stopped making the plastic ones.. but id still mention it. metal impellors dont break . the plastic ones are a big weakness. when mine came out it literally crumbled.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
There are still two impellors, one metal ane plastic. The plastic one has been upgraded, I've been told its just as good as the metal one.
I still fitted a metal one though so take from that what you will

moody2k

same problem

i am having the same problem as have had and was wondering if u changed ur water pump if so did it fix the problem. i took it to a garage and they looked at me as if i was a bit weird lol.

The yellow bird

well first of all i took it to a garage and they said it was either thermostat or water pump but wouldnt like to say which it was so that didnt really help , I then took it to another garage they were sure it was the water pump so i said go ahead and change it a few hours later I collected it and it was sorted New cambelt , New tensioners , New water pump and new coolant for £300 I think that was a fairprice and espically as they dropped everything for me as soon as i turned up will defentley be going back to this garage.

They also showed me the water pump and how it had worn down been driving the car around all today kept smiling when the turbo would kick in and the temp stayed down!:funk::clap:;):p

moody2k

thanks my car goes in tomoz so will tell them wot i think and go from there and hopefully it will be sorted :D

moody2k

took my car to the garage b4 work and dint hear nuttin all day got to the garage and they go yeh its all fixed mate its workin fine it was def the thermostat, i was a bit dubvious bout it but took it out for a test drive and guess wat it overheated again so i have told them i want them to check the water pump as havin readin this has got to be it , good jus its still under gurantee so wnt cost me :D. thanks for pointin me in the rite direction ppls

Sulli

3rd Cupra
Exactly the same happened to me, yesterday.
As for the prices for cambelt and water pump, independant garage will be around £200, not a massive job on the LCR, and parts aren't expensive.
I was hoping it was the thermostat but from what you've said it's the water pump.
Part number and supplier for the metal water pump would be appreciated if anyone has them.

moody2k

i pick my car up today hopefully i will see if i can get a part number for ya. it better be sorted after i told them i thought it was the water pump they were like na i doubt it but then found me up bout 5 o clock yesterday and goes yeh it is lol water pump i just laughed lol tried not to glote to much thanks for ur help :D

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Exactly the same happened to me, yesterday.
As for the prices for cambelt and water pump, independant garage will be around £200, not a massive job on the LCR, and parts aren't expensive.
I was hoping it was the thermostat but from what you've said it's the water pump.
Part number and supplier for the metal water pump would be appreciated if anyone has them.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=150891&highlight=water+pump+part+number

always worth searching ;)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members