Replace seals or can it be glued down??? (Car flooding)

Malice19

.:Cupra 4 The Win:.
Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
I have had a week off work, so my car has been sitting on the drive way in the rain....

I got into the car this morning and looked at the front passenger floor and there was an inch of water sitting there :cry:

wet%20carpit.jpg

So i got a tub and tried to soke as much of the water up, lucky the Matt had soaked up a lot of water.

Only problem is that once i had pretty much soaked up as much water as i could i decided to be on my way.
As i started the car and drove off i had my radio off and could hear the sound of water going back and forth as in accelerated, break, or turn left or right..... :-o

What the hell am i to do.... I'm driving a submarine :censored:

i found out by tipping a bucket of water over the windscreen that it started coming under the carpit of the car...
i could also see that the windscreen seal in some places no longer sticking to the windscreen,:headhurt:

So what is the best bet?
  • Take it to my local Seat garage and get new seals and see if they can make sure no more water is building up.

• Or just use a recommend glue to put the seal together again as its only in 3 small parts of the seal?

Please Recommend :blink:

Cheers

Last edited:

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Is it still in warranty? if so, take it back !

I wish.... Its 2003 LC.

Just popped down to the local Swindon Seat garage and they told me that it would need to be booked in for a water test to find where it is leaking £47

And then it would have to be booked in for 3-4 hrs work lifting up the carpets and sealing the leak... So she said it would be about £180 + Parts :-o:-o:-o

Think it would be cheaper to just go out and buy me some swimming trunks :blink: £4.99? :blink:

dasmith83

Formerly "Dave FR PD130"
Jul 1, 2006
Kent
quite a few posts before on this m8....here is a guide to a possible solution-
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216&highlight=leaky+door+seal

it basically could be a poorly fitted pollen filter/cover, or leaky door seals...another possibility i recently discovered is badly welded seams on the bulkhead...or even blocked drainage holes either side of the windscreen

i've been trying to seal my water problem in the drivers side...fingers crossed i've done it now, only a downpoar will tell!

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
quite a few posts before on this m8....here is a guide to a possible solution-
http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44216&highlight=leaky+door+seal

it basically could be a poorly fitted pollen filter/cover, or leaky door seals...another possibility i recently discovered is badly welded seams on the bulkhead...or even blocked drainage holes either side of the windscreen

i've been trying to seal my water problem in the drivers side...fingers crossed i've done it now, only a downpoar will tell!

Thanks 4 the link mate, will have a good read after work :rolleyes:

Cheers

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
Found the leek, it is my seals on the windscreen is is no longer sticking.

What can i do.... can i just clean it up and find some sort of windscreen glue to glue it back down....?

Or would a windscreen company like auto glass replace the seals?

Basically do people get the seals replaced when they no longer stick or do they just re-glue it down?

Cheers:rolleyes:

Seals.jpg

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
If you have free windscreen cover .... maybe the screen might get 'accidentally' damaged and need replacing along with the seals?

HA LOL! yeah not sure? I'm with Direct line and think i would have to pay an excess any way... and on my insurance i have to pay the first £750 :blink:

Naa found out that if windscreen needs replacing i pay £60..... if it can be repaired then it for free....?

Last edited:

J@mes

e46psi.com ;-)
Jun 14, 2004

What can i do.... can i just clean it up and find some sort of windscreen glue to glue it back down....?

Basically do people get the seals replaced when they no longer stick or do they just re-glue it down?

Seals.jpg

from seeing this picture it seams to me that the seal bit that your finger is pulling up is not clipped into place onto the screen properly hence not forming a seal!
try pushing hard about half an inch from the top of the seal lip and it should click/snap into place on the screen!

if no luck id suggest removing the scuttle and try clipping it back on!

hope this helps!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net

Seals.jpg

This is not really a seal.

The large plastic valance has a downward facing lip near it's top edge (about 20mm down from where your finger is), running the width of the windscreen.

The lip clips into a metal groove which runs along the base of the windscreen. This joint prevents water getting down the back.

It is possible for the lip to become part detatched from the valance. You really need to replace the whole valance then.

The lip on mine separated through me removing the panel several times. I repaired it easily by removing the valance and running a hot soldering iron along the join at each side, melting the plastic back together.

Picture of back of valance showing sealing lip...
P1010005-2.jpg

Metal groove in base of windscreen
P1010006-1.jpg

Last edited:

dainott2105

mk1 Cupra and mk2 FR TDI
Nov 4, 2006
swansea
anyone know if the windscreen did get broken (accidentally of course ;)) then could the metal groove be replaced at the same time as im sure that i have a problem with that. Changed everything else once already and cant get the bloody thing to stay in the groove. Really starting to annoy me now cos the wiper arm catches the plastic trim and marks it badly :(

Malice19

Mar 16, 2006
Swindon
from seeing this picture it seams to me that the seal bit that your finger is pulling up is not clipped into place onto the screen properly hence not forming a seal!
try pushing hard about half an inch from the top of the seal lip and it should click/snap into place on the screen!

if no luck id suggest removing the scuttle and try clipping it back on!

hope this helps!

Just popped down my local AUTOGLASS and the guy there was really good and took off the scuttle and tray and cleaned it up and relayed it on the runner of the windscreen for free :happy:

Unlucky i tested it when i got home and no joy still water leaking into the car.
I checked the pollen filter and it was soaking and water had gone where the air vents. :censored:

after pissing about for about 2-3 hours I'm giving up... Didn't mater what i did water is still getting onto the pollen filter and into the car :cry:

Mite have to bit the bullet and get charged the earth at the local seat garage?

Unless any one knows of any other place they would recommend to fix this type of problem? :shrug:

THANKS ALL!

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
anyone know if the windscreen did get broken (accidentally of course ;)) then could the metal groove be replaced at the same time as im sure that i have a problem with that. Changed everything else once already and cant get the bloody thing to stay in the groove. Really starting to annoy me now cos the wiper arm catches the plastic trim and marks it badly :(

The metal grove /channel is bonded to the windscreen - It's actually a part of it.

Thanks DPJ for the help mate

Sorry that didn't solve your problem. (Did Autoglass check the drain holes weren't blocked and refitted the two gutter pieces properly before they refitted the valance?) Have a good search here, there's stacks of information on the problem.

Deleted member 20376

mines come apart from the screen in the middle but not at the edge. i have no leak or anything just scared of it leaking now.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise