Noise problems with new FR TDI

Sl8er

Hi,

I have seen a few posts on here about this but thought I'd start a new one as I'm really keen to hear of any other issues that people have had with the noise levels in the new FR TDI.

I bought a 56 reg (2007) FR TDI about 4 months ago that had about 7k miles on it - upgraded from a Mk1 Leon Cupra TDI (205bhp) and everything was "ok" until about November/December when suddenly lots of "road" noise started coming from the back of the car.

After a month or so of getting more and more annoyed about it, this also developed into a wuuring noise similar to worn wheel bearings, I decided to take it back to the dealer for a check up.

The rear tires (orginal Bridgestones) were stepped and needed to be replaced even though they had loads of wear left on them.

So I bought 4 new (as the fronts were worn out) Michellen Pilot Sport 2's and this has sorted the wheel bearing type sound but the road noise that the car makes is unreal and it has got to the point where I just want rid of the car!

So, has anyone else had any similar problems with this sort of thing? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to sort it - apart from selling it!! A mate has a 57 reg 1.9TDi and this is so much quieter on the road - which really annoys me!!

Si

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
Mines on 24000 and has just started making the wheel bearing type noise! so its going to be looked at. Guess there going to say its the tyres. My mates sport is doing exactly the same...

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
My 2006 sport 2.0 tdi had this and the Bridgestone rears were worn on the inside like a 50p,i replaced them and the noise is a lot better and I also had 4 wheel Geo done the Tech said that they have equalized the setting the best they can but the rear still has a Lot of camber and this is what wears the inside edge.

There is nothing else that can be done to change this as it is just down to the build of the car unless you had some parts made up to allow the rear end to be changed more.

Hi all

As I have built my own car I do know a little bit about precise setups. With regard to Camber - generally 0-5 degrees is tolerated on production cars - this should not have any major adverse effect upon tyre wear.

I'd be very surprised if the problem was not toe out... this is very difficult to adjust one production cars. I used to have a Vectra that had had a rear end shunt, this had the result in the toe-in being altered and I used to get outside rear tyre wear.

Has the car been involved in any rear-end collisions and not re-jigged properly? Though I do hope this is not the case...

As for my Novemeber 2007 Leon Mk2 - it's very quiet on motorways, much quieter than my Octavia TDI 140 and my Mazda 6 - it's now covered 7000 miles since brand new.

Steve

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
II had mine done by AWESOME GTI but I have spoken to a Seat dealer who new about this problem it appears to be a manufacturing issue that affects certain cars.

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
I had mine done by AWESOME GTI but I have spoken to a Seat dealer who new about this problem it appears to be a manufacturing issue that affects certain cars.

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
My Mates sport had the geometry changed by seat but not the tyres, so we'll see what happens when he gets the tyres. Unfortunately he doesn't know how they changed it but apparently a problem on earlier cars which is fixed on later ones.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members