My boot wont open??

roberts189

I cant open my boot, it just suddenly stoped working and now feels like the S handle is not connected to the mechanism inside so I think I need to get the trim off inside but am realy strugling. Ive taken the 2 pieces of trim behind the lights off and taken the screws out of the handle and give it a realy hard yank but even with 2 of us it stil wouldnt budge. Can the inside panel be removed with the boot closed?? and if so how??

Does anyone no how much a new 1 is if mine is to break when I try removing it??

[:@]

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
Take my expert advice that fixed my own boot locking problem, it will be cheaper and lot less effort.

Forget you even have a boot for about three or four weeks folding the rear passenger seats down when you need to get to the space in the rear of your car (remember you can’t call it a boot because you are trying to forget you have one). Then after this time click your fob and magically you will hear the sound of the “space in the rear of your car” lock kick back to life. It worked for me.

It does not sound right mind, much nosier that it used to be so I would not be surprised if it goes again. I was going to take the plastic trim and screws off etc but got halfway through and decided to leave it. Fiddly job with fragile clips left right and centre. If you have a search you will fin loads of other posts about it mate.

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
New one is about £40, However have a read of the below and if you still can't budge it then remove both your boot light clusters, 3 bolts accessible from inside with the bulb covers removed. You should be able to reach inside the panel and prise a few clips off with a screwdriver. This should make removal easier and I wish I knew this before writing this :lol: :

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=114846&highlight=boot+lock

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Mine used to do this when it got wet, usually from when I washed my car.
It'd lock shut, no matter what I did it wouldn't open.

Sometimes if I left it for a day or so to dry out I could then open it.

I got fed up with this so had SEAT fit a new door lock/handle. I did actually have about 3 new handles, but eventually they supplied one that worked!
Been fine since :)

roberts189

Im not sure mine is the electric side of things tho because I can here some sort of magic happening inside the boot lid when I press my fob so I have a feeling it mite be the rod inside has come away from the mechanism or something along those lines. Id feel alot happier if I could get the "space in the back of my car" lid to open rather than fold the seats down all the time because I have the feelin the catch on seat is about to go aswell which iv read isnt a rare thing either which would make getting into "the space in the back of my car" even harder especialy with the sub.... Il try and attempt to get the plastic bit off again the weekend and let you know how I get on, if any1 has any advise or tips on how to make this easier theyd be much appreciated because if I dont manage it this time I mite just reverse it into a lampost!!!

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
Did you read my post?. My issue was not electrical and the solenoid was working. My issue was the handle was not connected to the sliding mech as it was stuck. Easy fix and has been fine since. Removing your rear lights is the best way to get to the clips to undo a few before you prise it off.

roberts189

Yeh just read it I will try it thanx alot, il let you know how I get on.

andycupra

status subject to change
Im not sure mine is the electric side of things tho because I can here some sort of magic happening inside the boot lid when I press my fob so I have a feeling it mite be the rod inside has come away from the mechanism or something along those lines. Id feel alot happier if I could get the "space in the back of my car" lid to open rather than fold the seats down all the time because I have the feelin the catch on seat is about to go aswell which iv read isnt a rare thing either which would make getting into "the space in the back of my car" even harder especialy with the sub.... Il try and attempt to get the plastic bit off again the weekend and let you know how I get on, if any1 has any advise or tips on how to make this easier theyd be much appreciated because if I dont manage it this time I mite just reverse it into a lampost!!!

its exactly as in the thread link provided above. in post #3
Honestly, take our word for it. its a common issue, one ive had myself also.
That is an excellent guide.

(in short the mechanism is working but not fully. So it sounds like its operating, but unless the solonoid operated fully it does not lock into place.)

Last edited:

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
not sure about the leon,but my toledo has a series of rods on the mechanism,my boot wouldn't shut properly,the rod had become bent.
the garage i bought it from had straightened it,but it soon came back.what they had done is not sdjudted the rod properly as it is threaded for length at one end.
your rod may have become disconnected at one end and that why it feels like its not attached(because it isn't ).thin as a stick rods they are,and i imagine eaily bent.

andycupra

status subject to change
if any1 has any advise or tips on how to make this easier theyd be much appreciated because if I dont manage it this time I mite just reverse it into a lampost!!!

Where are you? (some helpful members on here...)

Ok, fold seats down, get in boot.
Grab trim at top, one hand either side of the middle. Pull towards you, (takes some effort) the trim will bend so try not to pull on one part too much.
The trim is fitted with once fit push fittings, (kind of arrow head design into square holes in the boot) so they make a horrible sound when they are pulled out. (some gloves may be advised if you have soft slin ;) and dont fall backwards when the trim come away :) )
When you have got just the top of the trim to come away take a moment to try and look down the back of the trim, with the guide above you may be able to grease the relevant parts without removing the trim completely. (by feeling your awy around). If not then keep pulling the trim away untill you have sufficient access.
If you remove it, id advise leaving it off for a few days to see it if has worked and also allows you to relube after some use.

Last edited:

roberts189

I took the boot trim off and lubed it all but stil nothing, My mechaism doesnt do anything when I press my fob so i'm assuming its the central locking motor thingy, im gona get round to putting a volt metre on it and if it has power make my way to Seat for a new one.

Has anyones done this due to resistance of the mechanism ie the mechanism is jammed and dosnt move at all and if so what was jamming it?? I cant see any reason why myne dosnt move freely???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.