How do you remove the standard radio?

scriv

hi,just recently bought a leon cupra an was wonderin i fany 1 could tell me how to remove the factory fitted radio.all infomation will b appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

jasonconnell

Easiest way is to buy a set of radio removal keys from Halfords - they just clip in either side of the radio and then it pulls straight out (it is possible to do the same with callipers / assorted small screwdrivers but its a pain and you risk scratching up the dash if you are not careful).

Jason

ChrisUK

Eat My Smoke
Oct 20, 2004
Liverpool, UK
I bought a new Headunit & used the keys from that to remove the SEAT one. Not the best fitting keys, but they worked OK

(Takes a while though, you need to put some effort into it !!)

caveo

i got rather pissed off with mine and ended up smashing it up and shoving some plirers in and ragging it out, felt good though.

slatord

SlatorD
Aug 2, 2006
witham, essex
I read a thread on here a while ago that i didnt think would work, but it did:

Get an old credit card and cut it in strips long ways to the width of the holes on the head unit. Push them in slightly angling them outwards. When i did it it took a few attempts but you will feel them click and push past something (something being the sping clip holding the head unit in). Once you get to this point, slowly wiggle the head unit out.

May take you a few attempts but it saves doing the above and wrecking the headunit when taking it out! believe me i almost got to that point of just ripping it out, i know how you felt!

Jayt

Oct 5, 2007
i used a set of jigsaw blades, they were cheaper than the removal keys and i had them in the shed. just make sure they are small enough to go through the gaps at the top.

oedwards

Jul 11, 2005
CR6.UK
www.banter-box.com
4 slots indeed. You need to put the keys in straight then put them outwards (I think) to release them from the clip whilst pulling it towards you. I will need a bit of a wiggle before it comes out.

I snapped my girlfriends tweezers and used them, doing the top first then the bottom along with a log of wiggling.

Are you having problems with the Sat Nav by any change? Receiving not satellites? If you have the idea of re-seating the GSP plug to get it working again, it did not work for me.

olliegeko

They pop up on ebay a bit, dont normally go for more than about 40 quid...something like that.

My Standard radio came out no problem! just used a thick zip tie in each hole and pulled the stereo out by sort of wedging my fingers into the cd slot and pulling.

also did it just as easily with a couple of sony stereo keys yesterday!:clap:

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members