Smoothed airbox

super cupra R

Diesel Power
Apr 23, 2006
Hampshire
I spent the weekend smoothing my airbox its not as easy as i thought it would be (blisters to prove it).
On the way home tonight i gave it a bit of a blast in 2nd gear and it seemed to pull better than before, am i imagining this or does a smoothed airbox really make a little difference. While it was off, in the bottom box there was a hole in the corner about 7mm so i drilled another 3 holes in each of the other corners, not a huge sound but i heard the turbo spin up more than usual.( or maybe its because i didnt have the radio on :shrug:)

The MoffMeister

Half Hoff, Half Moff.
Apr 4, 2006
colchester
it will make a little difference yes as they is less drag inside so to speak this has been done laods of times as well increase your intake to the ebox i fitted a 107mm duct to it that helped also

you drill extra holes it only more ways for air to escape

super cupra R

Diesel Power
Apr 23, 2006
Hampshire
I havent gone ott with the holes, as i said there was allready one hole there dont know what for, if it was for drainage it was on a raised section of the lower box, and i only drilled 3 more little ones about 6mm

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
Speaking of which, I've just bought one from a chap on eBay - ready smoothed, including a custom 3" feed for £40 including postage - a bargain I thought.

If that was anyone here, thanks :)

caveo

Speaking of which, I've just bought one from a chap on eBay - ready smoothed, including a custom 3" feed for £40 including postage - a bargain I thought.

If that was anyone here, thanks :)

you lazy git :D

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
Yup :)

TBH, having it smoothed (and a nice job it is too) was worth £40 to me alone, in terms of putting in the effort and inevitably knackering my existing airbox and having to buy another anyway!

caveo

i'v got a spare air box to practice on when it gets warmer so if all goes well i mighnt sell that.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
I would personally not reccomend smoothing airbox as gains are so little and the whole process is very time consuming.

Just buy a CAI kit in the 1st place, better results and no hassle :)

Also, drilling additional holes into your airbox, im sure you'll be drawing more hot engine bay air into the system and defeating the object of having a closed system?

7mm hole in LCR airbox? I cant remember that from memory, where about?

Last edited: