MAF test

rhysox

Ibiza Cupra 1.8T
Jun 18, 2007
Cardiff
Hi all, some of you may be aware of the problems i've been having, occasionally it runs properly, and boosts full, sometimes it runs "normally" i.e. not as fast as it should be.

did the MAF test today, but not sure what i should be looking out for.. traction light came on however the car didn't drive any different at all. is this to be expected?

on the lookout for a new n75j at the moment to see if the n75 is the cause of my problems!

thanks, rhys

Forbez

Huge Member!
Feb 11, 2004
S.Wales
Visit site
If it drove no better, then its suspected that its not a problem with the maf.

What mod's do you have engine wise?

Do you have VagCom, in order to read your MAF readings?

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Thing is, when I unplugged my MAF when having intermittent boost issues last week it made no difference but after I'd plugged it back in and turned the engine off and back on again my boost returned.

Since replacing my MAF on the weekend everything has been fine

VAG COM is the only sure way to know really

Glassy80

HUZZAH!
Jul 24, 2007
Camberley, Surrey
Weird. When I had MAF issues the car drove like a new car without the MAF plugged in, and would konk out if I plugged it back in and started the engine.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
Maf readings with vag-com would be the only 100% sure way to see if its givin up the ghost or not.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
It's been my experience with ( a number of) completely failed mafs that they feel the same, plugged in or unplugged.

I agree. I logged my maf last week and its pulling a whopping 0.08 g/s however the car drives fine with it plugged in or disconnected...

rhysox

Ibiza Cupra 1.8T
Jun 18, 2007
Cardiff
well im just trying to eliminate all possibilities at the moment, philw logged my car a few weeks back, and the MAF seemed ok.. but seeing as though the car drives the same with it plugged in and not plugged in, im not sure what to think. however, im thinking it's probably the n75 now.

__B3NNY__

OEM with a 'Twist'
May 5, 2005
Oxford
I agree. I logged my maf last week and its pulling a whopping 0.08 g/s however the car drives fine with it plugged in or disconnected...

Surly you would get a fault logged if its reading that low? Thats totally had it!

Im surprized the car ran as thats saying theres next to no air going in to the system.

Mar 10, 2005
Walton on Thames
Surly you would get a fault logged if its reading that low? Thats totally had it!

Im surprized the car ran as thats saying theres next to no air going in to the system.

yep you're right it is throwing up a fault and yes it has totally had it lol I wouldn't expect it to run but it did

....not anymore tho, a coilpack gave up on me driving home tonight! rac are on their way now (i've heard people say they carry spares)

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
When the maf is goosed and giving negligible readings, the ecu ignores it and estimates airflow based on readings from (mainly) the map sensor.

So it runs reasonably well, but not good for the car long term.

acidstrato

My Fast says shut up!
Dec 9, 2004
Newport, South Wales
the only logical explaination is that the maf readings are so stupid that the ecu already runs without the maf sensor and therefore unplugging it does nothing either

im not always sarcastic :p its jst more fun that way

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise