Anyone running BMC CDA or similar..

Dec 20, 2007
Hi guys im running one of these, air filter hose runs down the wing, to the front bumper.

Now ive just thought would i be better to remove the ducting off the end of the filter, and leave the end open but leave the filter in place, so the filter is still enclosed but has access to more air ?

Could drill some holes in the plastic houseing too ?

Thanks Rob.

Dec 20, 2007
i just thought doing this would keep the cone shielded from heat whilst allowing a flow of more open air.

Its not a carbon BMC the one with the plastic around it instaed its BMC CAI or something

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
I ran my BMC CDA with about a 2" gap between the filter housing and the cold air feed, made some nice noises like that.

Bing_17

i know cupra_elliot runs a bmc on his, apparently it sounds good! not sure about how the cold air feed it though, PM him, or im sure he will see this thread.

TurboCupra

Aug 24, 2007
This is a wind up right? buy an enclosed filter to get cod air directly from a cold source... then open the passage to the warm engine bay? open filter in warm engines bays are a complete waste of time.. give away power..

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
I honestly fail to understand now it's going to make any significant difference when the air is going through an intercooler first anyway.

Dec 20, 2007
so air sucked through the air filter goes into the intercooler ? ... thought it went down TIP into turbo..

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
From Air filter -> TIP -> Compressor housing --> Intercooler --> Inlet Mani --> Engine --> Exhust Mani --> Turbine housing --> Exhaust

Dec 20, 2007
Ok, so the theory of havin the cold air feed there, but not attached is surely better cause the filter has access to more air .. ?

Nov 2, 2004
South Wales
I dont get long CAI's anyway. Surely sucking through 1 foot of pipe is better than sucking through 3 foot.

Plus your turbo works hot and your got an IC for cooling.

Dec 20, 2007
I understand what your saying Robbie, on a saxo for example id leave it enclosed, but 1.8T sucks a hell of alot more air through and its only a 2" intake on the BMC i think which i though was possibly a bit to small.

I was under the impression people use jetex open cones and they have the best ratings, but there open to all the heat under the bonnet.

Jan 8, 2007
Wiltshire
Indeed, I recently changed my standard airbox with Green panel filter to a Jetex cone and to be perfectly honest didn't notice any difference in performance (and at this time of year heat soak isn't going to present a major issue anyway) but the MAF logs that Benny and PhilW have done show a clear increase in air flow so that's what I'm sticking with.

On an N/A car it's a different story but with an intercooler I don't see heat soak presenting a major issue. The filter on the Cupra is fairly out of the way of direct engine bay heat and with a decent CAI I don't think it'd be sucking in much hotter air.

Last edited:
Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.