Cheap tyres,brand snobbery ?

willyd

I've just bought Vredestein Ultrac Sessantas. Not that cheap, but they piss on the Pirelli P Zero Rossos they replaced, and at 50-60 quid a corner cheaper I reckon that's something.

Deev

May 28, 2006
Croydon, South London
I wouldn't touch Bridgestones. The Bridgestones that come as standard are a load of crap and are the cause of massive road noise caused by uneven tread wear - there are dozens of threads on this.

At the end of the day I buy low cost decent tyres by buying them from somewhere like blackcircles. That way I get my Goodyears for the price of the budgets at Kwik Fit et al.

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
You've just asked a question that is too open. It's like asking whether you should buy a BMW, or would one of the cheaper brands be just as good.... and the answer is.... it depends which cheaper brands (and more specifically the tyre type) you are looking at.

As already noted within this thread :-

Goodyear GSD3 ~ cheap as chips at the moment. Has just slipped from Goodyear's premium performance tyre to no.2 with the launch of the F1 Assymetric. The GSD3 is still a great tyre though....just got a set for the scoob.

Toyo T1R are excellent for the money. Excellent wet and dry grip. Not the stiffest sidewalls, but that has allowed tramlining to be banished completely in 2 cars I've tried them on.

Falken FK452 are right at the budget end, but are known to be an excellent tyre. Many people on the Porsche Club GB forum rate them highly, and apparently they are "the" tyre to get if you own an E39 M5.

Check out Camskill for excellent prices and service.

Dillinja

Throbbing Member
May 16, 2003
Beds
Visit site
Apart from one set of Vredesteins, I've always hd GSD3s. They last a long time, slice through puddles, are very grippy and I love the tread pattern too! :p

You can pick them up for fairly cheap these days.......

Xe

Definately not!

Cuprascott where is the picture in your avator from?

I went from Bridgestones to Goodyear F1's GSD3, and I'm really liking them, but then Bridgestones were not bad either. But it was also a change in tyre size so even more difficult to tell 16" to 18".

cuprascott

Leon FR DSG 150 Tdi
Nov 28, 2006
I wouldn't touch Bridgestones. The Bridgestones that come as standard are a load of crap and are the cause of massive road noise caused by uneven tread wear - there are dozens of threads on this.

At the end of the day I buy low cost decent tyres by buying them from somewhere like blackcircles. That way I get my Goodyears for the price of the budgets at Kwik Fit et al.

Kwik Fit will price match black circles!!

May 13, 2007
ive got dunlops on i set of wheels very noisey havent worn too well but have khumo on the other set hardly any noise million times better not sure on wear havent had too long to know

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
My PZeros are lasting longer than the GSD3's I used to have on my LCR. Will probably see 10k out of the fronts. Used to get about 8-9K from the GSD3's.

However, you could put that down to any or all of the following:

1) The LCR had more power (remapped)
2) The Cupra has better suspension
3) I don't drive like such a knob now I'm a bit older (and have a child) :p

Not sure what I'll go for come replacement time.
(going to move this thread to more appropriate forum)

Scott

Adrian_T

For some reason I have had Avons fitted by the SEAT Sealer I bought my LEon FR TDi from. No complaints but is this normal - I have a feeling they went to NATIONAL Last month as they had a buy 1 get 1 Free I think.

Any thoughts???

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.