Dashboard rattles

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Firstly Hi from a newbie, although not new to SEAT had a Cupra for 6 years and now just got my FR TDi on a 56 plate. Very happy with it.:D One question though, done 600 miles at the weekend and a couple of rattles in the dash have appeared!! Not there when I test drove or on the trip out but developed on way home!!:censored: One appears to be coming from the right hand side air vent or the headlight switch and another from behing the main console or main air vents. Searched the thread and notice that this seems fairly common. Dealer says can fix but may require a dash out. I am not sure I fancy this - would it cause more problems than it solves? Anybody any experience of such work?

Cheers
JB

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeShaw100

Leon FR - White Lightning
Aug 7, 2007
Wakefield
I have had a few rattles and know from this forum that the air vents are the usual suspects. My dealer was happy (under warrently) to remove/glue and re-install suspect units and no problems since.

Mike
57 FRTDi, Cupra08 Grill, BT, 18", Armrest, Alu Trim, Muddies and Mats

mitchathome

My dash has a couple of rattles too. Seems to be speed related and only appears at 60mph+(irrespective of road surface) like others it seems to be coming from air vents on both passenger and drivers side. Will speak to dealers after Easter to see what they can do.
Will post any result and what the cause may be.

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
My dash has a couple of rattles too. Seems to be speed related and only appears at 60mph+(irrespective of road surface) like others it seems to be coming from air vents on both passenger and drivers side. Will speak to dealers after Easter to see what they can do.
Will post any result and what the cause may be.

i have the same one!!

Saw a thread a while ago about it being a cover under the car ( jack point??) causing this

Am going to ask dealer to check on its 20 k service.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
thanks for the responses, I will take the car in next week and see what they think needs doing and go from there. The rattles are quite minor and not too annoying at moment but be nice to get rid of them. It was just on a thread there seemed to be concern on taking the dash out hence prompting my question as I did not fancy this work being done.

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
My 2.0 TDI Stylance is due to go in for it`s 13th visit to the dealer to try to cure the dash vibration via the nsf air vent that has been there since day 1. 15 months. Starts buzzing from 2000 rpm in 6th. It`s a real Pain in the a***e

Seat UK have been involved and the noise had been heard, but only really shows up when it`s colder. Now Seat UK are sitting on the fence, as I have insisted that the dash is removed. The stealer will not get paid if they cannot justify work to Seat warranty dept. I am at work by 6.45 in the morning and my local dealer opens at 8.30am, so I just can`t be there to demo problem. I write how to replicate vibration, but once air temperature rises, problem temporarily hides. Now I have realised that my centre air vents do not blow air to face like the Leon demo I had on loan, so if I can prove it, then there is justification to ok dash removal. IMO it`s bad assembly at the factory

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Sorry to hear about your problems. My rattle or noise is fairly minor but annoying nonetheless. I phoned my dealer and they said bring it in and could be a dash out job there did not seem to be any debate as to whether they would do the work or not - we will see. I do not fancy the dash coming out and I only have one day when they can have the car so if anything goes wrong I am stuffed! I hope the RHS air vent can be done without dash out but the one behind the main air vents could require dash out. I bet you any money when I take it to the dealer it won't happen!! Anyway it is quite minor so not worried - they can do it on service. I have just noticed right headlight gets condensation in it will have to get that done too. All minor though the car is great!!!!

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Sorry to hear of the problems you have been having. I had to have the dash on my previous Ibiza taken out to cure a problem with the heater. That seemed to develop a rattle when I got it back, which I can only assume was caused by the dash coming out and going back in.

Gib83

Neeow!!
Mar 3, 2007
Sheffield
Brisaleon, Had any issues with your car? When was it built?.
Mine`s same colour private plate

adriaticman - it was built april 06. Only issue i've had is the seat belt sensor in the passenger seat went wrong and wouldn't shut up beeping, happened within first month of getting car so was done under warranty (new car niggles).
Other than that its been great. Good colour choice, I think its at its best when its polished up and the sun shines down on it. Lovely.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
yeah not sure I want the dash out - more trouble than worth. Hope to get headlamp replaced though.

MartH

Jul 18, 2006
Cullompton, Devon
My car had a dash rattle from behind the centre console/stereo, there were two problems one was a loose cable in the engine bay and the other was a loose crash pad?? which involved removing the dash, both fixed by dealer and touch wood no probs since.

140SPORT

Aug 22, 2007
My 2.0 TDI Stylance is due to go in for it`s 13th visit to the dealer to try to cure the dash vibration via the nsf air vent that has been there since day 1. 15 months. Starts buzzing from 2000 rpm in 6th. It`s a real Pain in the a***e

Seat UK have been involved and the noise had been heard, but only really shows up when it`s colder. Now Seat UK are sitting on the fence, as I have insisted that the dash is removed. The stealer will not get paid if they cannot justify work to Seat warranty dept. I am at work by 6.45 in the morning and my local dealer opens at 8.30am, so I just can`t be there to demo problem. I write how to replicate vibration, but once air temperature rises, problem temporarily hides. Now I have realised that my centre air vents do not blow air to face like the Leon demo I had on loan, so if I can prove it, then there is justification to ok dash removal. IMO it`s bad assembly at the factory

My 06 tdi sport also had low air volume output from the centre vents and after my dealer having it in for 7 days and completely removing my dash they found that when my car was built it has had a left hand drive part fitted that obstructed the airflow while they had it they also replaced the flap control motor and now it all works great with no extra rattles touch wood.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Well thanks for the replies - it goes in tomorrow. Dealer recommends not having dash out if possible - but I suppose they would say that (I agree though!!!). On the condensation thing - dealer says SEAT have said that due to the lights being plastic that they can develop condensation and the dealer needs to do an 8 min test on them before they will change them under warranty (unless of course the unit is actually faulty with a crack or something). Anyone else had this?

anthb

Nov 8, 2007
Newcastle upon Tyne
My other halfs Stylance had condensation in both headlamps. Not from new but after a few months and it coincided with days and days of rain so we assumed water ingress. However a quick trip to the dealer brought no joy - not necessarily their fault just it wasn't that noticeable on the day. They said policy was photos had to be taken and sent to Seat (on a day it was bad) for approval for replacement. Supposedly there's a spec on allowed condensation in the headlamps (unless like above there's a visible fault)..... Anyway it went over a couple of weeks and I don't think it's been back since.

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
My other halfs Stylance had condensation in both headlamps. Not from new but after a few months and it coincided with days and days of rain so we assumed water ingress. However a quick trip to the dealer brought no joy - not necessarily their fault just it wasn't that noticeable on the day. They said policy was photos had to be taken and sent to Seat (on a day it was bad) for approval for replacement. Supposedly there's a spec on allowed condensation in the headlamps (unless like above there's a visible fault)..... Anyway it went over a couple of weeks and I don't think it's been back since.

I had the same on my Astra and they refused to replace them. I think it was getting to expensive as they just read out a memo from Vauxhall basically saying they wouldn't cover it under warrenty and the solution was to leave the lights on for 10 mins to burn off the condensation.

Anyway if the dealer can't find the fault, just get the to aim a hosepipe at the faulty light, that should replicate the problem.

JB

JB
Mar 18, 2008
Car went in and dealer heard rattle - looks like air vents and requires dash removal:cry: they say takes 2 days. gonna run car for few more weeks then book it in, i can access near rattle and will have a look myself. seems like fairly common and to do with the clips they use when install the ducting at factory - rather annoying esp when the rest of the car is so good :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members