You Know You have a mk2 Ibiza When........

Chrisdaman

1 gearbox dead, any more?
Mar 21, 2007
Kingston
www.flickr.com
i'm going to see how it runs on the 020 gearbox, if it's killing it then i'll look at an 02A conversion, cable change, sports clutch and lightened flywheel, means its all done in one go

random question? do gearboxes get hot? i might buy one and spray it up nicely to colour code it with my car, just wondering if normal aerosol spray paint would work?

BEARDY

i'm going to see how it runs on the 020 gearbox, if it's killing it then i'll look at an 02A conversion, cable change, sports clutch and lightened flywheel, means its all done in one go

random question? do gearboxes get hot? i might buy one and spray it up nicely to colour code it with my car, just wondering if normal aerosol spray paint would work?[/

GEAR BOXS DO GET PRETTY WARM, BUT YOU CAN GET THAT ENGiNE LAQUER FROM MOST AUTO PART SHOPS. REALLY GREAT STUFF, PAiNTED THE ENGiNE ON A PREViOUS CAR AND DiD'NT FLAKE OFF
NOT SURE i SPELT LAQUER PLOPERLY :doh::doh:

Bentley1989

Mk2 Ibiza 1.4s
Dec 18, 2007
Hartlepool
you just got the car and still aint used to the clutch being canny high (dunno if there all like that :s) and you stall at the lights or roundabout! :| then it takes ages to start agian and the revs dont pick up straight away! end up takin it out of gear and everythin to get it goin :O whats goin on lol

get your panic on time ! haha!

(that was in my 1st few days of gettin the car tho, dont stall it now :happy:)

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
You know you have a Mk2 Ibiza when.........you can't sell the bloody thing :(

Sure you can. Just not when you are after £3k when you see some mk3 1.8T's go for £3600 :p

Personally I had a deposit for full asking price for the valver within 18hours of putting it up on autotrader ;)

denty76

you know when you have an ibiza when you dont thin k theres anything wrong with it but come mot time your shelling out £500 :censored:

Mckellar

I think everyones just unlucky:

on my 1.4 - zero problems
on my GTi - pedal box (then a shady weld caused my annoying waterleak so not the cars fault)
- rear light stopped working.

Thats been it in 14 months!

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
To be fair i aint had that many problems. Had my car 2 years past january and the only real problem i had was the pedal box issue. Most other things were the usual wear and tear.

Power steering pump and starter motor.
Brake pads
Clutch and clutch cable (after pedal box issue).

Thats about it.

Oh and i had the hose for the rear washer pop out and soak the boot, but that was an easy fix.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Mines not so good in 2 years:

*new tyres x2 sets
*pedal box x2
*clutch
*clutch cable x2
*new brakes all round discs and pads
*new brake pipes
*engine rebuild due to head gasket - went the whole hog on it though which was why it cost
*new radiator
*new header tank
*gear linkage
*bonnet release mechanism

I'm sure its had more but i can't be arsed to dig out the file on it right now, all the important stuff is brand new on it now though :) £3k+ in repair bills

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
WEll on my 1.4 had zero problems.
On the cupra (have had it about 2 years now) ive had:

New gear box
NEw clutch
New cv joint (drivers side)
New radius arm (drivers side)
2 new rear passenger side bearings
New hub/hub carrier (can't remember the official name)
2x new pad and disk (rear passenger side)

Although in all fairness, apart from the clutch and gear box the rest were kind of my fault. Slid on black ice which sent my front drivers side wheel smahing into the curb. ANd the rear passenger wheel hit a kerb when i may have entered a roundabout a little too enthusiastically :whistle:

Can't think of anything else at the moment except i have a knocking sound at the moment when i put go to change gears!

Czechboy

Tarmac terrorist
Apr 14, 2005
Hampshire
Mine had been really good as well:

1.4 ibiza- 14months

- throttle sensor had to be changed after I hosed down the engine bay with a pressure washer

GTI 16v-18months:
-drivers side electric window mechanism gave up the ghost

And thats it. I'll probably never get another car as reliable as the Valver again :cry:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.