really worried about fuel consumption

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Ive been doing a search but not really found what im looking for....theres loadsa threads discussin what people get MPG wise but mine seems to be mega low and I cant think why!

Basically Ive got a 2001 LC 180 petrol done approx 75k.

the full tank before my last full tank of 55 litres I got 250 miles out of it, then the last full tank I have just got 264 miles out of it....however after about a quarter of a tank I changed the spark plugs as they needed doing.

now I'm thinking maybe ill get more miles out of my next full tank as it will be totally with the new spark plugs, however what else can I check/change to help improve it?

My tyres are in good condition and pumped up, like i mentioned...new spark plugs, also have used a d-tox fuel injector cleaner to and the car isn't due a service for a while yet!

no engine mods at all...except a smoothed airbox which ive had for ages! and I dont go driving round too heavy footed....with the windows open or aircon blasting out. I've already replaced the temp sensor to a green one to.

My stock dump valve sounds a bit louder with the woosh which one of my mates said means its on its way out? could that have any affect on mpg?

Any suggestions or ideas welcomed!

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
For the most part, being on 11 points and rarely speeding helped.

I got 290 miles from a tank last week - not great, but better...

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
sounds really daft but what/how do you actually use the car ?

just daily work traffic bump n grind commute i'd be lucky to see over 195miles out of 45L in a 16v

Timmyboy

Former Cupra Owner
Aug 27, 2005
Bristol
Driving style and journey type make an incredible difference.

I had a V5 Tolly before my LC and they both return similar MPG and mileage per tank.

On a motorway journey, I can get around 330 miles, more if you really try.

My daily drive to work and the gym (daily??) however (both very short journeys) plus my P-Torque remap which is still amusing me on every drive after 4 months mean I only get around 200 miles from a full tank - a 40% difference.

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Slightly off topic, and with all due respect, but you see this kind of thread a lot. If fuel consumption is of any concern why buy an LC petrol? If you have to drive it like you are driving Miss Daisy to get decent fuel economy then you may as well get a 1.4 or a diesel.

777cupra

Jan 12, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Slightly off topic, and with all due respect, but you see this kind of thread a lot. If fuel consumption is of any concern why buy an LC petrol? If you have to drive it like you are driving Miss Daisy to get decent fuel economy then you may as well get a 1.4 or a diesel.

When I bought the car petrol was £1.08 a litre!! and im used to getting about 50-60 miles more per tank than what I'm getting at the moment. Ive not changed my driving style either...not driving like miss daisy...or driving it like i stole it just a happy medium

Yeah my drive is at the moment mainly town driving to work, gym and that!

stevo lcr

Oct 29, 2007
Tividale
Fuel consumption! im lucky if my lcr does 22mpg,but my 6 mile drive to work is on dual carrigeways,so it would be rude not to cane it!!!My old cossie used to only do 15!!

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.