£20 unleaded = 70 miles??? oh dear

loveturbopower

Jun 13, 2007
Frome, Somerset
Guys i think my car is well overfuelling, its done 83k and needs a service which probably isnt helping matters, but other than that its standard apart from air filter and front mount but i put £20 which took it to half a tank on tues evening, since then i have done approx 65 miles and its gone already, i didnt rag it either that was mainly cruisin at 70-80 on motorway for about 35 miles of it.

wat u reckon?

rhysox

Ibiza Cupra 1.8T
Jun 18, 2007
Cardiff
mine doesn't seem to fluctuate much if im driving it hard or just on motorway for some reason. usually 20 quid will get me about 80 miles

loveturbopower

Jun 13, 2007
Frome, Somerset
yup, petrol prices are already extortionate, i aint payin the extra for super lol

surely coolent temp sensor would only effect engine when its warm? this is always idling roughly, do you think air flow meter could be linked with both problems?

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
You mean you put normal unleaded in your car?! :blink:

Why not? We're not running supercars here!

And I'm still to really prove/disprove the "more mpg" from super unleaded. Considering i got about 425 miles from one tank of normal on a VERY slow motorway run....

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Its not about more mpg its about the quality of the petrol and how the car runs on it etc aswell as performance. Thats all for another thread though.

JimyFloyd

Sep 13, 2004
Maybe but I've never had an issue with normal fuels (and I used to runn super before the price went through the roof!).

Back to the topic...£20 - 70 miles = very bad!

MAF, fuel filters, sparks, one of the exhaust sensors causing it to overfuel.

Had it on the VAG-com? Any fault codes?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Off topic- Theres no maybe about it. Super unleaded has a higher ron rating which has a cleaner burn. It is not only better for your engine as it lubricates it better but it can effect CFs aswell and it will give it more power if constantly run on it.

On topic- Like others have said you need to vag com your car. Does it feel like its running ok? Did you sit in traffic or still with the engine on during the 70 miles?

pj1985

1.8T Power
Oct 31, 2006
Hampshire/Surrey
Also fuel filter and plugs will be changed in your service so get this done before trying to 'find' if there is anything wrong with your car.

tony2311

£5ish a gallon, £20 = 4 gal or 21miles to a gallon, not good for a med size car

TommyCupra

Just Like That
Mar 30, 2005
West Yorks
seems a little bad i can usually get 90 miles out of £20, £1.10ish / litre

but if i hit the B roads and take it above 3.5k rpm that can drop a huge amount

tony2311

seems a little bad i can usually get 90 miles out of £20, £1.10ish / litre

but if i hit the B roads and take it above 3.5k rpm that can drop a huge amount

thats 22.5mpg which is really bad, i think you need to find out whats wrong as small/med car should make around 30mpg minimum

AdamHarling

Feb 7, 2007
Bath
I are been mostly getting about 17mpg this week.. :(

(That's B Roads - Country Lanes - Touch of dual carraigeway - and I don't think the rev counter spent any time at all under 3.5k apart from cruising to warm the engine up).

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
what are you all playing at lol!! you must have lead weights in your shoes...I used to get about 70 miles to £10 as a rough guide and no that was not driving like a granny.

Also I used to drive to Reading and back everyday from Bristol. It was 80 / 90 miles and it used to cost me £10 each way.

Your cars remapped at all? I found my MPG actually improved when I wasnt flooring it lol

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.