16621 MAP & 18048 Eeprom faults

Sebp

Hi

Been having some slight problems with my 2000 Ibiza Cupra 1.8T and VAG-COM has thrown up some error codes someone might be able to shed some light on.

I was told about a year ago my MAF was playing up as this code was coming up and the boost was not as powerful as it should be. I recently bought a MAF for it replaced and all seemed fine. Until I noticed it stalling when I gave some gas at low revs and before the revs picked up engaging the clutch which was strange as it didnt do this before.

So I plugged it in to a mates laptop who has VAG-COM and it came up with these codes:

3 Faults Found:
16621 - Manifold Pressure / Boost Sensor (G31): Signal too Low
P0237 - 35-00 - -
16490 - Manifold / Barometric Pressure Sensor (G71) / (F96): Implausible Signal
P0106 - 35-00 - -
17536 - Fuel Trim: Bank 1 (Mult): System too Lean
P1128 - 35-10 - - - Intermittent

I cleared them and started the engine again to get these codes:

2 Faults Found:
18048 - Internal Contr. Module (EEPROM) Error
P1640 - 35-00 - -
P0237 - 35-00 - -

I ran it a bit again and plugged it in today only to find the 16490 code has returned.

I believe the 16621 could be the MAP sensor? Any ideas where this is and what it looks like?
The 16490 could be because the MAF sensor housing is slightly loose which should be an easy fix hopefully.
As for 18048 I read it could be faulty ECU :-o Its strange as I hadn't seen it before I cleared the codes yesterday? Could I have corrupted the Eeprom with VAGCOM? Is it serious? I cant see its had any effect on the engine running. Oh and its not chipped so not that.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated! :)

beezasport

Sold the car to buy a....
P0237 - 35-00 - -
for that one check all 3 wires are connected and not broken. just repaired one of these on a ibiza and the middle wire was broken think it cost about a fiver for the new plug and 3 new wires. really easy to do.

Map sensor is on top of the intercooler located down the front of the engine off to the left hand side when stood looking at the car.

Sebp

Thanks for the info, had a look but not sure what i'm lookin for here so I took a couple of photos:

I circled the area where I think what im looking for is.

Close up:

Is this it?

Cheers

EDIT: These are just thumbails, click on the pics for the full image...

Last edited by a moderator:

Uwe@Ross-Tech

Jan 7, 2002
www.Ross-Tech.com
17536 almost always points at a bad MAF sensor. Given that you've also got a code for a bad MAP sensor, I'd suggest looking for something that these have in common, perhaps a ground?

As far as the EEPROM error: VAG-COM does not touch any control module memory directly. When you clear codes, it simply issues the same command that the factory tool uses to clear codes. The software in the ECU then clears the codes from the EEPROM.

-Uwe-

Sebp

17536 almost always points at a bad MAF sensor. Given that you've also got a code for a bad MAP sensor, I'd suggest looking for something that these have in common, perhaps a ground?

As far as the EEPROM error: VAG-COM does not touch any control module memory directly. When you clear codes, it simply issues the same command that the factory tool uses to clear codes. The software in the ECU then clears the codes from the EEPROM.

-Uwe-

Thanks for the reply. Thing is this is a brand new MAF, and it seems to have solved the "fuel system too lean" code (17536). However it hasn't cleared the MAP fault, which leads me to believe this is a separate fault.

As for the EEPROM error, will this be definitely a fault with the ECU then? Any suggestions on fixing it?

Does anyone have any more info where this MAP sensor is? Im still at a loss with that one...

Cheers

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
map sensor is in the top of the intercooler, drivers side, look down behind the headlight

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.