Cambelt: To change or not to change...

Robbie Romero

Mar 4, 2008
... That is the question.

I honestly don't know when my cambelt was last changed - I don't have the log book.

It says every 60,000 miles.

Mines done 134,000 - mainly motorway miles.

Its not had any mods or remap.

Is there a way to check it out without taking half the engine apart?

Should I just get it done anyway?

I've had a quote of £300 min to change it and a new water pump.

It may have been done at 120,000 - I simply don't know.

Help please...

Robbie Romero

Mar 4, 2008
Anyway of knowing what condition its in - other than taking everything off - which would take ages and the garage would have to do it.

I'd hate to pay out for a new one to be fitted if its only done just over 10,000 on a new one.

Any tell tale signs if one needs changing?

NB: If I take her into my local garge for a service etc - will they use the correct oil, oil foilter, coolant, plugs, air filter etc. Only asking as I know how specific VAG can be with there parts etc.

Is it worth me buying all the service bits myself and just getting the garage to do the fitting / oil change etc?

Chris20vT

Touch the pipe...!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2006
Norwich
The only way to check is to get the garage to assess it, they can look at the state of the teeth on the belt and signs of fatigue, i.e cracking.

I wasn't too sure when mine came up for a change, having only covered 38k, but the car was over 5 years old. This persuaded myself to get it done, for £300 its a small price to pay instead of a trashed engine.

Its not just about mileage, I generally go by 60k or every 4 years.

Besides you know its done and if you sell the vehicle buyers will always ask when the belt was changed.

Bananaman

Just got mine done for £335 - that was the cambelt, tensioner and the pump.

The guys at psituning did - as always - a sterling job, and told me afterwards that it was not always the belt that snapped but that the pump can seize and cause problems.

The Seat service book with my 2001 Cupra recommended a cambelt change at 120k (!!!!!), but having phoned Seat recently, they've revised it to 60k or 4 years. If memory serves, psi recommended 50k or 5 years.

Either way, for the peace of mind, I'd get it changed. I know it's a lot of money, but some of the pictures on these forums of engines AFTER a snapped cambelt would convince me to get it done.

Last edited by a moderator:

airfilter

Mar 29, 2008
Derbyshire
I've just had mine done at 65k miles on the clock. I had done about 800 of those miles since I had bought it. I just didn't want to risk it. Cost me £230 but without the waterpump change.

Worth the peice of mind in all fairness.

Dec 31, 2007
Reading
Without the water pump change? It takes next to no time to change the waterpump whilst you're doing the belt, and a genuine part is only £40 (on a p/x basis). If the pump goes you'll have to shell out basically the same again to get the pump changed

airfilter

Mar 29, 2008
Derbyshire
Without the water pump change? It takes next to no time to change the waterpump whilst you're doing the belt, and a genuine part is only £40 (on a p/x basis). If the pump goes you'll have to shell out basically the same again to get the pump changed

Yeah, unfortunately, I didn't know about the water pump at the time. It's only since I have been reading this forum did I hear about it! :cry: