Coolant Leaking, possible heater matrix fault?

thefingers

I wonder if anyone can help me out, BTW sorry for the long post thought the info may be useful to others!...

My 3 year warranty expired at the start of March and you guessed it, thats when I start to get problems...

It started two weeks ago when I noticed a loss of coolant in the reservoir when I went to top up my washer bottle. So topped it back up and a few days later checked it again and it had gone down again! (not just a bit, a lot!). So last weekend I got under the hood and located the problem, alongside the water pump at the top of the engine one of the bolts which holds the pump to the engine has been wearing its way through a rubber hose (found out there is a rubber separator around the pipe which I guess is supposed to hold the pipe away from the housing but wasn't!).

Not sure if its a common fault but you may want to check it out on your own Ibiza (I have a 1.9 TDI diesel, petrols may be different), the pipe is located under the main engine cover (from the top) and is a black rubber hose about 8 inch long x 0.5 inch wide (again at the top of the engine) on the right side (looking from the front) of the main engine block. The hose runs from the front to the back of the engine joined by T junctions at both ends. To me it looks like a silly design and is ridiculously close to the water pump (in fact touching on mine).

Anyway solved this problem by shortening the hose, re-connecting and placing the separator so it does its job properly, the plan is to head to a local scrappy for a replacement pipe soon (preferrably one a little bit longer!). This seemed to work for a week until, same thing again. I've spent most of the afternoon tracking down the leak and this time it looks much more serious. The leak appears to be be at the back of the engine compartment where two steel/aluminium pipes pass through into the main passenger compartment, just above the exhaust heat shield.

It looks like it may be the heater matrix but it looks like a pain to get to and I'm not totally convinced it is the problem. I have looked around on this forum and others and it has been suggested that on VW and Audis that the heater matrix leaks into the foot compartments, however on the Ibiza the interior is bone dry.

So my questions are:
1) Has anyone experienced anything similar?
2) Does anyone know what work is involved to get to the heater matrix? (Haynes manuals don't seem to exist yet for anything since 2002!)
3) Is there anything else which could be leaking rather than the heater matrix?
4) Does anyone know where I may be able to order a heater matrix in at a reasonable price? I have looked around and I can find VW parts, would these be suitable for an Ibiza?

Many thanks in advance!

jay.ing

Red Blur (And soot!)
Nov 17, 2007
Southport, Merseyside
Yes, ive had a simular problem! Those two metal pipes your talking about, i thought the rubber hose was leaking where it connected, however after replacing all those crappy clamps with jubilee clips i found chaffing in 4 of the rubber hoses behind the engine, turns out those crappy metal clips had chaffed through one!!!

Get your engine hot and give them pipes a twist and a pull, if you got a leak from there you'll know about it!

D4V2K1

Yes, ive had a simular problem! Those two metal pipes your talking about, i thought the rubber hose was leaking where it connected, however after replacing all those crappy clamps with jubilee clips i found chaffing in 4 of the rubber hoses behind the engine, turns out those crappy metal clips had chaffed through one!!!

Get your engine hot and give them pipes a twist and a pull, if you got a leak from there you'll know about it!

I had the same problem last month on my 6 month old FR :lol:

thefingers

Thanks jay.ing for the fast response! I've spend today having a closer look and hoping it was just a leaking joint but I've actually spotted the problem and it doesn't look good! On the two aluminium downpipes there is a mounting bracket which has been welded over the two pipes, only I guess the person who welded it was having a bad day. After taking the pipes off it is obvious on the underside there is a 2mm crack next to some rather shoddy welding. [:@]

I suppose the next thing is to wait until Seat open tomorrow and see if I can get the part and how much its going to cost!

Thanks again!

jay.ing

Red Blur (And soot!)
Nov 17, 2007
Southport, Merseyside
If its the ones that go into the cabin they come off just inside the cabin the number is 6Q0 121064 N.

And you'll need two seals N 908 905 01

Good luck

Elfman

Jan 12, 2008
Durham/Darlington
i had a coolant leak to, luckily i had a month left on my warentee, dont think it was as bad as yours though, seat just replaced some pipes and my thermostat housing

thefingers

Many thanks again jay.ing! The part numbers were spot on. I phoned my local Seat dealer this morning and although they were a bit surprised I knew the part numbers for the downpipes and seals, I couldn't find the part number for the top hose which I had problems with initially. I found the same part on a '04 Ibiza but part numbers were slightly different even though the diagrams seem identical. Anyway, Seat weren't as helpful as I had hoped over the phone and insisted I drive over to look at a diagram! It is perhaps as well I bridged the in and out feeds yesterday! Went in and had the parts ordered in no time and price was not quite as bad as I expected, still perhaps a bit steep though for what they are! On a plus note, there doesn't appear to be any further leaks, my coolant level hasn't moved!

Elfman, it was lucky you had a month left, if only my leaks had happened in February!

Elfman

Jan 12, 2008
Durham/Darlington
yeah thats when mine happened, i spotted it and got it sorted, had a service and mot done by them before the warrentee finished to so if there was any other problem which there where (wishbone bushers and rear wiper washer) it would get sorted for free :)

broadld

Hello i have just got a problem with coolant leaking out of the two metal pipes that go from engine bay into the heater matrix. Is it possible it is just the O rings that have got worn and started leaking?
Does anyone knoe how it comes off to replace them is it just one bolt in the middle and it pulls off?
Any help would be much appreciated took me ages to find the leak.

Thanks
David

Parodius

David,

ditto, mine started doing it a few weeks ago. I cant actually see what leaks however I see its from the Right hand pipe. There is an aalen bolt in the middle and I'm hoping I can replace the pipework in situ without the need to rip the dash out. You can get the matrix, grommet and gasket separately from seat.

Mines a 1.2 S 52 reg btw.

Let me know if you have taken apart yet

Jon

broadld

mine is a 1.9tdi model. I can see two metal pipes that go from to of engine down and then curve around and go into matrix. I will have to have a closer look when i get parts from seat i think there is two rubber orings that seal the pipes in. I have looked at the etka parts thing and it looks like some models are different and have rubber pipes going into the matrix.

Thanks
David

Deleted member 13581

I had a coolant leak on my 1.9TDi and i located it to a burst pipe at the top of the engine.

Take the air feed off that goes across the top of the engine between the air-box and turbo, have a look for wet/damp patches in there. My hose was rubbing on a clamp-clip that was behind it. £20 for a new hose and fitting and all was well.

broadld

Took the metal pipe off going into the heater matrix. It is held on by one 6mm Allen key bolt in the middle of the two pipes. Got the pipe off and one of the orings is nearly in half so thats probably where it has been leaking. The part number has been mentioned earlier in posts and they cost 17p each from dealer. Very easy to replace.

FRich

sorry to revive an old thread but how hard is it to replace the heater unit that the two alu pipes go into? I think mine's leaking as I'm quickly loosing coolant

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Looks like I have the problem with the two solid pipes going into the bulkhead, loosing a load of coolant. Can I get these pipes off from the engine bay side? It looks tight.

FRich

yeah, you have to remove the boost pipe to get access. think it requires a 6mm allen key and pair of plier to get the hoses off

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Cheers, got it off no problem....well just the stubborn oem hose clips to contend with. O-rings don't look to bad but I will replace in hope, can't see how it could be anything else. Water was dripping from behind the heat shielding just down from the pipes, there is no water in the cabin either.

Any ideas on the O-ring size? Or is it a trip to Seat?

Cheers

FRich

I've got no idea on the size but if you search previous posts someone has said the part number from seat. they are pennies so you can afford to get oem parts in this instance

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise