Cupra Storage advice - Does it need running to prevent damage? (6month Period)

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Maybe I'm missing the point here, but could you not bring the car back to the UK for six months and leave it with your family?:)

You'd know it was safe with them and someone could take it for a run every now and again for you.

My son is also going to Afghanistan in September, and I imagine his car will be left with either me, his dad or his girlfriend.

Mind you............... he doesn't own a Cupra (unfortunately!):)

This would be the most obvious and easiest option...

Unfortunately (well fortunately) I bought my cupra tax fee because im posted over seas which means for the 1st year i shouldnt have it in uk for periods as long as 6months... Something to do with the fact ive de registered it with dvla and registered it as being a british forces germany owned car.... Pain in the arse

Aug 20, 2005
stafford
The advice for motorcycles which are commonly stood over winter is to change the oil prior to leaving it stood. Obviously let the clean oil run round the system a bit before leaving. Make sure it is clean. On a bike I would spray all the bits that could go rusty with wd40 or similar(not so important on a car.
Tyres? put the wheels on pieces of cardboard.
If you have access to power buy an optimate trickle charger/battery conditioner and leave it switched on(available at most motorcycle shops for £40 ish) the cover would also be a good idea indoors to keep dust and bird crap off it in the hanger.
:shrug: Up to you really

smilley792

May 1, 2008
got a super plan, pay for me to holiday in germany for 6 months, and i look after her for you
:)

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Am I the only one who thinks this is over kill?

Your car will be grand..

Never left a car for any length of time, the 1st car I've had that's worth a bit...

Didn't want to risk cockin my engine/transmision up, had to ask like....

The comments Ive had have reasured me, Im sure it'l be fine. Just gonna make sure its under some kinda hard cover, get some kinda dust sheet and miss it like mad! lol

Last edited:

Fast_Eddie

BMW 1series M please!
May 16, 2004
Bradford West Yorkshire
My 30916v sat for 3 years without a single look in... I have recently moved her and I needed a new battery, new oil/filter, fresh air for the (admittedly square and flat and knackered) tyres, 5ltrs of super plus and away she went on the trailer....
She's an old girl, but the the old ones are the best lol

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
I think it will be fine.

My mate has an XR2 that is off the road 6 months of the year sat in his garage. Apart from minor problems he doesn't have any major issues when he fires it up for the first time each spring, but that is on a 20 year old car.

Also look at is this way, many new cars are probably sat around in compounds for at least as long as that when they have been built for stock.

smilley792

May 1, 2008
i agrre with above, take a drive into grimsby and theres thousands upon thousands of veedubs just sat there

smilley792

May 1, 2008
are there any storage conpanies that take a car near you.

its just i've remembered a story, where my mate was told he could keep his car in his factory while he passed hiis test again.

when he fetched it 2 months later, 3windows where smashed, a dint in most panels, and graffitti scrawled on it.

and all his uncle said was "**** happens"

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
are there any storage conpanies that take a car near you.

its just i've remembered a story, where my mate was told he could keep his car in his factory while he passed hiis test again.

when he fetched it 2 months later, 3windows where smashed, a dint in most panels, and graffitti scrawled on it.

and all his uncle said was "**** happens"

F8ckin hell thats crazy, failing acces to the hangers on camp Im gona make most of ali's offer to rent his garage like

flakmunky

Olympic Knitting Champion
Aug 23, 2005
Marmitehampton
My mate used to work on the rigs as a Tiffy and for a laugh when they were building a rig they put a big red button on a panel with a big sign saying "Emergency Only - Do Not Press" connected to a simple counter. It got pressed 28 times...

The point of my post? People are curious. I would hire Ali's garage - you just know people are going to have a peek under the cover, try the door, etc... Its human nature!

joshW

Dec 26, 2005
Swansea, S. Wales
Just thought id mention, iv not long bought one of the stormforce car covers you were on about and i think its great! really well fitted (as its custom to your car) and nice and soft inside so good on the paint!
i only really use it to keep the bird s**t off my nice new paint through the week but thought its worth gettin the best lol!

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.