Leon - Niggling or annoying things about this otherwise great car

adrian t

May 10, 2008
south west dorset
jk1 did you get the mirrors as a extra?? or you mean it dose not have the folding abilaty ??

don t have parking mirrors fitted .
gas struts on bonnet ( like jk1 last car did and that was 10 y o )
only one remote key . as this car replased 2 cars i would have liked 2 key fobs one for me one for the wife ..

LEO LION R

if you need to ask . . .
Mar 25, 2002
on the edge
It's when the car can't put the power down and the driving wheels bang up and down. You get that horribly unsympathetic bang bang bang noise when pulling away quickly! It can usually be cured by improving the suspension set up.

That's the price you get for so much power in lower gears, LCR did it too and replacing the dogbone mount virtually eliminated it. LSD also helps it too, but costs a tad more than replacing that mounting/bush.

littleandy0410

- No Armrest.

Arm rest can be bought from Seat as a retrofit add on - but it is £100+fitting!

Maybe it's worse with Bluetooth, but I phoned 7 people and went through 15 radio stations while trying to steer round this BMW-moron
Yep, done that a few times.

Sooty torques - your signature at the bottom says you have a TDi FR, but with a towbar. Did you have to do much modifying to get it to fit? I'd read that you can't get a towbar for the FR.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I was gonna say that i dont like the plastic bit at the back of the FR and the bit under the windscreen.... but just seen a brand new Civic Type S in the car park here at work and it has a similar type plastic front+rear bumper and skirt..... EWWWW!!!! So i dont feel so bad now....

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
You have to turn on, close the door and buckle up before you can use the MFD to display remaining km

If you hold down the top button on the stalk for a second then it clears the MDF back to the screen that shows MPH, remaining KM etc....

amills2005

Same here im 6'4" and no problems at all although my son who is 6'5" complains if he is a passenger for too long...

I do agree about the mirror though, its enormous and with the sloping windscreen it just makes it seem bigger still.

Im 6'7" and find the seat fine, although i wish the steering wheel came out further

I think the problem is where the rear view mirror is rather than its size, its a similar size to the Mk5 golf and they are located on the screen rather than on the ceiling of the car and dont look half as bad.

Agree with everyone, speakers / stereo is crap, fuel cap is annoying (try resting it over the flap), vibrations at high speeds etc

Ive never had the electric shock but some of my passengers have. Ive also managed to fit the manual in the glove box, but thats it!

Also lack of a heated front screen (or is this an option i missed).

However I do find the cup holders very usual, although i use them for my phones and my ipod not a cup haha

adrian t

May 10, 2008
south west dorset
I would prefer shorter intervals so that things can be checked more frequently. But that is my own preference since my mileage is not that high.

:blink: what you be like with a yank car that dose 100 000 between services :headhurt:
10000 miles is low for moden cars [B)](depending on what modl you have anyway )

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
You have to turn on, close the door and buckle up before you can use the MFD to display remaining km

If you hold down the top button on the stalk for a second then it clears the MDF back to the screen that shows MPH, remaining KM etc....

Of course you can turn the seatbelt warning off :)

Jan 18, 2007
West Of London
:blink: what you be like with a yank car that dose 100 000 between services :headhurt:
10000 miles is low for moden cars [B)](depending on what modl you have anyway )
I have the cupra and fully envisage that once I start fettling, I would want to keep on top of things. The fact that a car has 100k service intervals means things should not be checked regularly anyway. Often little things which can be caught at a service interval can be fixed before they become bigger issues.

Lance

changing from a Leon Cupra R to a Cupra K1 I guess the 'niggles' are founded on comparison between the two, after just 500 miles I am starting to prefer the K1 but there are a few things which i miss from the Cupra R - no great surprises here as most of them have been mentioned - firstly the 'manual' bonnet stay is a retrogrades step and I mentioned this to the dealer when they called me after 2 weeks to see how I was getting on - response was that they changed them as if the gas strut fails and the bonnet injures you, it's their liability, if you secure the bonnet and it falls on you, it's your own fault - not sure if this response has any credibility. Secondly, the overall vision in the new Cupra is sometmes a bit dodgy with some 'blind spots' being experienced. I'm only 5' 6" but you head can sometimes get close to the rearview mirror and a passenger did band his head on it when getting in. I find the stereo in the new Cupra K1 OK actually and the drive is really smooth, powerful and fun. I too have problems finding the horn and yes I changed the channel and have turned up the volume.

Maximus2000uk

1. Not having the 30mph thing is exeedingly irritating, but you get used to it after the first few drives. Alternatively, drive at 20mph!

2. Seat-belt warning 'bong' and screen can be changed through the VAG system

3. Blindspots in the car are substantial but I noticed this when I test-drove the car and I find I use the small windows at the front quite often to check.

4. I only got one keyfob. Was told that an extra one would be about £60 since it has to be programmed etc.

5. Stereo quality might be bad, but its a car, not Dixons. If I wanted better quality sound, I'd have bought an Audi A3/4 and put the B&O system on it, at great expense!

foxy367

May 12, 2007
Wigan
  • Can't operate wing mirror folding from the remote - I have to fold them in everyday for work otherwise I will lose them, and I often forget and have to go back and do it.

What position have you got the electic mirror knob in?

I had the knob in the fold postion (to the rear of the car) and the mirrors wouldn't fold using the remote but if its at the front (L,R or heated mirrors) they fold fine