Ibiza Sold, New Car....

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Not surre what these are like but the standard 172 struggled against my my old 1.6 VTEC Civic...if I was to buy one, i'd be expecting great imporvements TBH.

Welll for comparison, the standard Cup handles better than my Cupra on Bilsteins and from a standing start it can comfortably pull away from a mk4 Golf AUM running Custom Code. The Cups around 90kg (around 14stone) lighter than the standard 172, so the standard 172 has the equivelent weight of a 'fat passenger' already built in. Then of course add the Cup suspension (lower/stiffer/wider) and you have yourself some pretty good real world performance gains.

For a rough idea of performance see vids here...

Standard Clio Cup (bar exhaust) vs Standard 2004 Civic Type R: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEESHsPqx5k

Mildly modded Cup 0-100mph: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BE4edzLua8

Lots more 'vs' vids here: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=MarkCup70&page=4 Obviously driver skill plays a big part here but it shows the car is capable in the right hands.

So far from what i've read, watched and experienced considering the total cost or owning/running one the Cup is a very capable car. :D

Last edited:

JamJay

California Bound
They are very nice cars indeed & if you're happy with it...who cares :)

French hot hatches are alot of fun! My 1st car was a 106 XSi 1.6 and it was a little pocket rocket.

I am still finding it hard to find anything as fun as VTEC though. If you get a chance to drive an early shape Japanese import Civic Type R (1997 - 2001 model) you'll love it. They were 180bhp from the factory (out of a 1.6 :D) and easily tunable to 200bhp with a couple of breathing mods. The Cupra R I have is nice, it's a 210 & still only has 20,000 miles on it but i'm still not sure. It's more grown up than a CTR but doesn't quite put that same smile on my face.

hughes86

Dec 3, 2007
manchester
the only things to watch out for really is the back boxmounts perrish, the back box snap, the injection computer bracket snaps cos of the movement of the engine, the hazzard light switch and number plate light stop workin, other than that they arw mega cars. better than the 197 cup. i drive them all the time as im a mechanic at renault. my mate had a normal 172 and he loves it. mint cars

ace163

DPM Power
Apr 30, 2008
south shields
I like the clio sport but would never have one due to the power they actually have, the 172 and 182 NEVER make standard power, 3 of my mates have clio sports and 2 of them had them on the rollers a few weeks back and here are the results from the day

Ace163 - Astra VXR - 238bhp
Marko - MG TF - 202bhp
Elliott - Seat Ibiza - 200bhp
Sean_Rae - Clio 182 - 164bhp
Sean - Clio 172 - 159bhp
Linzi - Fiesta ST - 147bhp
Scott - Megane - 144bhp
Knacka - 143bhp
Carl - Focus TDCI - 112bhp

Beaker™

Slightly Unhinged........
Nov 21, 2005
C:\UK\Glos
Cheers guys, already been over the exhaust brackets and all looks ok at the minute. As for not making power the Cliosport forums seem to think otherwise, either way its all pub figures at the end of the day. Regardless of wether its making standard power or not it still has a very healthy power to weight ratio (same as a series 1 Lotus Elise). Which adds up to huge grins all round tbh. :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.