Wheel alignment

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
Bought and FR TDI just over a month ago from a national dealer, the car was and ex Seat UK, 7k on the clock and less than a year old. After a couple of weeks began to notice one or two problems mainly:

1. delaminated windscreen (white marks along the bottom)
2. noisy steering rack
3. excess condensation in headlight

All of which were repaired under warrenty no questions asked to my surprise.
However, I now think my steering wheel is not centred i.e. when I hold it dead centre on a good straight road the car steers to the left. To maintain a straight line I need to steer to the right about 2.5 minutes (if the wheel was a clock) think that equates to 15 degrees. I know roads can be off camber for drainage, but it appears to be more than that. Also, the car tracks ok and is not veering to the right. It is almost as if steering wheel was not centred properly during the alignment.

Despite having paper work to say an alignment has been carried out I am convinced it was not like this before, so I booked it back in for a check. Seemingly this takes 2 hours:confused: and I am a bit worried that they will try to charge me if they say it's ok. I am thinking blood and stone if they try:)

Was wondering if everyone elses drives "true" or if 15 degrees to the right seems "normal"
Thanks

wheelwright

Nov 28, 2002
Birmingham
Visit site
Take it to a tyre fitting center and get them to do an alignment check (they are usually free)
before you go back to Seat.....

I know i have had cars where the wheels are perfectly aligned BUT
the steering wheel isn't central when driving in a straight line but they can adjust something to
get the steering wheel aligned.

As mentioned 20 minute job not 2 hours!!

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
I'd take a guess that the dealer thinks the rack was not correctly centred when it was installed, or the steering wheel wasn't put on in the right position, or the angle sensors aren't set up correctly.

I did the rack on my first banger. Made the mistake of assuming the replacement rack would be centred before fitting. Turned out it was off by a bit, so one wheel rubbed against the wheel-arch liner on hard lock.

When I got my Leon; the dash was damaged pre-delivery, so the dealer replaced it. I think they said it took them three hours, most of which was spent configuring the angle sensors for the electric power-steering, as they'd not done one before.

Wheel alignment takes 20mins or so, so I'd doubt that's what they're planning to do. It might be a bit early to tell, but is there any feathering marks, or scuffing along either edge of the tread?

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
I'd take a guess that the dealer thinks the rack was not correctly centred when it was installed, or the steering wheel wasn't put on in the right position, or the angle sensors aren't set up correctly.

I did the rack on my first banger. Made the mistake of assuming the replacement rack would be centred before fitting. Turned out it was off by a bit, so one wheel rubbed against the wheel-arch liner on hard lock.

When I got my Leon; the dash was damaged pre-delivery, so the dealer replaced it. I think they said it took them three hours, most of which was spent configuring the angle sensors for the electric power-steering, as they'd not done one before.

Wheel alignment takes 20mins or so, so I'd doubt that's what they're planning to do. It might be a bit early to tell, but is there any feathering marks, or scuffing along either edge of the tread?

No feathering as yet but as you said it's early days.

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
I believe you can remove the steering wheel and locate it on a different notch to straighten it.

andycupra

status subject to change
the dealer is thinking 2 hours as:

The typical dealer set up means its takes some time to book you in, get car into workshop etc...
Then, they are not sure what the issue is.
is it just tracking?
is it also the geometry that needs doing?
it is the steering rack?
is it the steering wheel?
tyres?
wheel bearing...?
drive shafts..?
the list goes on.

If they appear to be dealing with it ok, then why moan about how long it takes? surely you want it done properly? If they said 30 mins and then it took an hour are you going to get upset?
im sure they could do it in 20 mins if you demand this, but then your not letting them do the job properly.

Do it right, do it once.

rosco07

Apr 7, 2008
the dealer is thinking 2 hours as:

The typical dealer set up means its takes some time to book you in, get car into workshop etc...
Then, they are not sure what the issue is.
is it just tracking?
is it also the geometry that needs doing?
it is the steering rack?
is it the steering wheel?
tyres?
wheel bearing...?
drive shafts..?
the list goes on.

If they appear to be dealing with it ok, then why moan about how long it takes? surely you want it done properly? If they said 30 mins and then it took an hour are you going to get upset?
im sure they could do it in 20 mins if you demand this, but then your not letting them do the job properly.

Do it right, do it once.

They've already done it once when they fitted they new steering rack! I don't care how long it takes, just thought that was a bit long and was wondering if anyone else had theirs done?
I agree if a job's worth doing and all that. Just getting a bit annoyed, as this is the 3rd visit to them (1st to diagnose, 2nd to fix and now 3rd cause they didn't do it right the first time despite them having it 3 days!) and it's a 2 hour round trip for me at the weekend when I'd rather be doing something else.

neilandbob

Dec 17, 2006
uffculme devon
mine is off centre and is very annoying , i mentioned it to a dealer and they said if i hit a pot hole it would knock it out ,so went the garage ,they checked it , and the alignment was spot on , but seat wont do anything about putting it right cos not covered by the warranty [:@] any suggestions ?

Jul 10, 2007
Leeds
mine is off centre and is very annoying , i mentioned it to a dealer and they said if i hit a pot hole it would knock it out ,so went the garage ,they checked it , and the alignment was spot on , but seat wont do anything about putting it right cos not covered by the warranty [:@] any suggestions ?

I was told when I got the tracking done on the Celica last year that one pot hole wouldn't knock out the tracking. :confused:

marks97

I was told when I got the tracking done on the Celica last year that one pot hole wouldn't knock out the tracking. :confused:

Depends how hard you hit it. Fell down a huge one that was full of water (was raining) so I couldnt see it. Dented my alloy and knocked out the tracking. I was surprised the wheel didnt rip off with the noise! :-o

lasbazrre

Sep 15, 2007
Manchester
Quick fit , do a FREE check up ( stand right there and watch they don't scratch anything ) £ 25 if you need them aligned.

They also check the steering.

leon

lil_pidge

Aug 12, 2008
Hi, Only just registered, so probably a bit late now, but I had the same off-centre steering wheel problem with my Mk2 Leon (5 or 10 degress).
Mentioned to dealer at 10k service and they said they would adjust the steering wheel centre position by adjusting both the tracking/push rods. This they did, and all ok since. Adjustment was too slight to consider changing the actual steering wheel on to it's next notch.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.