Wiper annoyance

LWCARAB

Aug 21, 2007
Essex
One thing which really annoys me expecially on a wet day like today, if you turn off the ignition when the wipers are on, they don't come back on again until you change the position. Is it just mine? Can it be solved?

rob2005

Jan 11, 2007
thanks for highlighting this...........i had never noticed

its now annoying!

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
agreed it's a bit of a pain in the neck but I only have to start rolling forward and they start working again...

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
agreed it's a bit of a pain in the neck but I only have to start rolling forward and they start working again...

your talking about when they stop when you stop.....

we are talking leave them on, turn car off - come back later (still raining) get in car, start it, drive off ..... nothing.....

Turn wipers off ..turn on again .. all work.

Grrrrr.

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
I read what you wrote the first time, and I'm talking about the same thing.

I live in Devon where it rains all the time.

I come home in the evening.. rain pouring and with wipers on. Park car on drive with wipers on and turn off car.

Come out in the morning, turn car on (it's still raining) roll off the drive and the wipers start again.

If yours doesn't do this then there would seem to be a problem...

Mines an 06 Stylance.

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
can't say I've looked at it that closely (although it was something I noticed pretty soon after taking delivery of the car)

I'll test it it the morning - it's raining here again now and no doubt it still will be in the morning...

mik

irregular participant
Jun 26, 2001
Glasgow UK
Visit site
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Wifey always switches off engine without switching off wipers, so in winter you regularly start up the car only to realise the wiper motor is busy burning out it's windings.

Easy solution is the one I tell my wife - TURN OFF THE ****ING WIPERS BEFORE YOU SWITCH OF THE CAR FFS YOU ***** :D

Tam

Santa in disguise :)
Feb 10, 2005
Near Reevo :)
I read what you wrote the first time, and I'm talking about the same thing.

I live in Devon where it rains all the time.

I come home in the evening.. rain pouring and with wipers on. Park car on drive with wipers on and turn off car.

Come out in the morning, turn car on (it's still raining) roll off the drive and the wipers start again.

If yours doesn't do this then there would seem to be a problem...

Mines an 06 Stylance.

Really..... hrrmm.... Apologies!

Mine must be broke .. or I aint driving further enough for em to start. :shrug:

GhostMjr

Dec 27, 2007
I might be getting the same fault i haven't got a rain sensor its just plain windscreen wipers.

Are you guys having faults with full speed, intermittent or slow only? or all?

microgerry

Apr 11, 2007
Connah's Quay, Flintshire
Sounds like a great idea to me.

Wifey always switches off engine without switching off wipers, so in winter you regularly start up the car only to realise the wiper motor is busy burning out it's windings.

Easy solution is the one I tell my wife - TURN OFF THE ****ING WIPERS BEFORE YOU SWITCH OF THE CAR FFS YOU ***** :D

About time someone mentioned this. Both my wife and eldest son won't listen either and leave them switched on when turning off ignition. In the winter both wrecked their wiper blades as they were stuck to the icy screen! Better than the wiper motor I suppose but still unnecessary in my opinion.

smilley792

May 1, 2008
yep mine does the same, which ids annoying, i can get halfway to work, before i re4alise, so mine dont come on through driving.

also find my aircon does the same.

if i turn the aircon on from off, it starts straight away, but if it was on when i turn car off, it takes about 20seconds to come back on after i've restarted the engien.

very annoying

shaunfriend

Feb 25, 2008
Devon
I've spent a few hours tonight trying to find the time/speed value setting for this in vag-com.

The upshot is I can't... I'm sure it must be in here somewhere as it's enabled on mine and the wipers start when I start rolling (from ignition off in the morning)

I'll have another go tomorrow night...

chrisboyle999

MFD3 for sale, inbox me.
Nov 28, 2006
Geordieland
I've spent a few hours tonight trying to find the time/speed value setting for this in vag-com.

The upshot is I can't... I'm sure it must be in here somewhere as it's enabled on mine and the wipers start when I start rolling (from ignition off in the morning)

I'll have another go tomorrow night...

have you the convenience pack?

Who. Me?

Mar 24, 2007
have you the convenience pack?

I think that's the issue.

I've got the convenience pack and, if the wipers are left on auto, they park themselves correctly when the ignition is turned off.

They start again after I restart the car, but only when it reaches whatever speed causes the doors to auto-lock.

This is much better than my old Renault Megane, where I had to re-set the auto-wipers completely (switch from auto to off and back to auto) each time I turned the ignition on and off.

Having said that, the Renault did have some convenience features that VW group could do with adopting.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.