Klang J

Apr 15, 2006
Apart from the power is it worth changing? am taking about the petrol versions

Ibiza 130 tdi

Black Magic
Jan 15, 2007
Somerset
Simple answer - yes it is.

It'd not just about the power - it's about little things like the wishbone bushes aswell. It's not just the power and looks - EVERYTHING is better. :D

Damoegan

Sir Bob,a geordy legend..
Oct 15, 2007
Newcastle
I test drove both FR (both tdi and 1.8T) and CUPRA (1.8T) and I had to go for the Cupra, its just a better car.

I only pay £380 insurance for it too :p

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
I just bought an FR TDi, but cannot compare to Cupra. Decided that i'll be buying a mk5 Cupra towards the end of the mk5 life (huge discounts + extras :) )

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
depends on what yoru buying. You can now pick up 30k mile examples of early 1.8T Fr's for 6k. Cheapest i have seen the cupra 1.8T's goign for is 7k for more miles. Engines are exactly the same and bar the map and intercooler. so if remapping ti will always be close between the 2, although for extra engine work you'll want the front mount. Brakes, i don't think its a case of the Cupra ones are amazing its just that the FR ones are crap. thats why i fitted the Brembo GT kit on my Ibiza and they were a lot better then the AP ones off the cupra ont eh 2 i tried. Exterior the Cupra is better on the early ones than the FR, however the phase 2 FR's stepped the game up a bit i think and can sometimes looka s good or if not better than the cupra. interiro the cupra wins only on acount of its black. however there is nothing on the inside any better than the FR as its all the same stuff just different covering or colour.

Big thing to bear in mind is the Insurance. Cupra's are loaded compared to FR's,

Personally i don;t think you can go wrong with a £6k 2004 Ibiza FR 1.8T. Stealth car, can be made fairly quick. and fairly reliable.

scooby slayer

Aug 24, 2005
wakefield
to be honest i looked at a cupra and the insurance was crippling and i couldnt get xenons,

so i looked at the fr tdi and to be honest apart from the brakes im not bothered im glad i got the FR plus the fuel consumption is better than the cupra so i dont regret it at all

the only thing i do regret is not having a sunroof

NickyJam

FR - gone, not forgotten
Mar 17, 2008
SW LONDON
as Ant FR & Scooby Slayer have just mentioned...you can't fault the FR because they are better in consumption and are the stealth hatch of the bunch if you remap them. The interior quality is just as good and I too am pleased with my choice [B)]

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
as Ant FR & Scooby Slayer have just mentioned...you can't fault the FR because they are better in consumption and are the stealth hatch of the bunch if you remap them. The interior quality is just as good and I too am pleased with my choice [B)]

To be honest, 0.4 mpg isn't that much of a difference between the FR and Cupra. The red and black Cupra interior does look nicer than the FR imo.

If anything the Cupra is the stealth of the two. The FR has 'FR' badges, silver wing mirrors, silver centre console and is always in the TV adverts :happy:

yeah and dont underestimate the fr diesel it can beat alot of cars and they dont expect it

And the Cupra can beat even more :lol: But this thread is mean to be about petrols anyway

cuprakel

Feb 10, 2006
Lanarkshire
the cupra is better than the fr, dont think you can question that..... but whether i'd change from an fr to a cupra i dont know, i'd prob aim even higher in the car chain, leon cupra for example.

kriso

_______ C U P R A _______
Jan 29, 2007
Brighton
Yea I'd have to agree. Depends on whether you can get a good deal or not. Maybe not worth it if you are losing out in the exchange.

Ant FR

Feb 15, 2005
Kent
If anything the Cupra is the stealth of the two. The FR has 'FR' badges, silver wing mirrors, silver centre console and is always in the TV adverts :happy:

Are you blind or something. how the hell is the cupra more stealth. The big uck off intercooler at the front, the big brakes, the wide looking alloys, the massive bumpers, the rear spoiler. Oh and not to mention the massive cupra badge across the back of the car. :rolleyes::rolleyes: