overheating...a bit long...sorry

CARL BRIGHTON

Chicken Choker
Jan 8, 2002
Gainsboro
Visit site
Righto...

I have looked via the search, but i guess im after some reasurrance...

I picked a 2001 20vt up from a garage today,

All was fine until i got it home and left the engine running, after driving about 1 street length the temp went up to 120 accompanied with a beeping and flashing light...then steam came out the bonnet...

Opened up to find it coming out the "valve" of the header tank(?)

I lost some water (about a litre judging by how much i put in)

I left it a while to cool and put some water in...

Drove it home (5 mins away) and the temp just started to creep over 90..

Ive called the garage, but it was after 6 so i got voicemail, i will be calling in the morning, but will it be ok for short drives over the weekend (as long as i keep an eye on the temp?)

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Im sure everyone else on here will echo my point do not under any circumstance drive it.

Whatever you do to get around whether it taxis etc is going to be a lot cheaper than having to skim a head plus the cost of whatever is causing the overheating.

Personally id get it booked into a garage and its perfectly justifiable to call your breakdown service to get it towed there.

Its usually fairly simple to work out what is causing the overheating, could even be as simple as the cooling fan fuse, so i wouldnt risk real damage.

smiler220

rollin at 220 want more!
Oct 16, 2006
Bournemouth
Sounds like the water pump a common problem here. I would nt drive it you could do some serious damage. Make sure you get a metal impeller not the Seat standard plastic crap.

Ricardo_Smooth

Powered by Apples!
Jun 26, 2007
sheffield
hang on is everyone missing the key point. take it back to the garage and demand it be sorted of get your money back!!! how much did you pay for it if you dont mind saying?

i'd say buy a different one if they refuse to sort it

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Ricardo has a point, consider the point momentarilly unseen.

A private sale has no come back, however a trade sale is a different matter.

I would contact them politely and give them the opportunity to fix the problem in the first instance.

If they dont fix it straight away or make excuses tell them you will go to trading standards.

If it is a dealership of SEAT then if you get any issues get in touch with their head office, that will put pressure on them to sort it.

But as I said in the first instance be polite and give them the chance to sort it for you before you get pushy.

smiler220

rollin at 220 want more!
Oct 16, 2006
Bournemouth
From previous experiances with garages i dont think it would be that simple!!!
Nice if it was. You could demand that the car is not fit for purpose but i think if you give them chance to fix the issue im sure they will if not you too send in nasty squad[:@]

CARL BRIGHTON

Chicken Choker
Jan 8, 2002
Gainsboro
Visit site
Thanks guys, ive left the garage a voicemail telling him the issue, it wasnt a Seat dealer, it was an independant....

Trouble is, its on Nottingham, im near Lincoln....

Ill wait to see what he says....

robreidmotors

RobReid
May 10, 2008
Lancashire
Actually might be an idea to get your breakdown people out, for one it should tell you exactly what the issue is. And from a legal point of view its a record one day after sale of the problem.

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Definatly sounds like the water pump, mine did exactly the same when mine went. 5 mins normal driving then it goes over 90 degree's. Definaly get in touch with the garage mate or its going to cost you atleast £300 to put right

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Even with stopping to let it cool down you've go no hope. I tried to get mine from my house to a mates house so we could fix it, that was a 6 mile trip and i had to go half way then the other half after it cooled down enough to drive again which turned out to be overnight so i could get a full 5 minutes drive out of it

smiler220

rollin at 220 want more!
Oct 16, 2006
Bournemouth
take you all day mate to do 60 mile id get them to recover the car as really its there problem and u need to state that if u drive it to them it could damage the car further and could end up as a full engine build!!!! cheaper for them in long run.

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
sounds like the water pumps up the creek or the fuse on top of the battery has melted, for a quick fix check the fuses on top of the battery!! if its not that then yeah it sounds like the water pump

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members