Downpipe query

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Hello all,

I am currently looking at 2 different down pipes...both are for the Golf GTI so I know that it will have to be bent slightly to not rattle underneath, but that is not a problem.

However, 1 of them is made from 1 piece, whilst the other is 2 pieces (seen more of those on here)
Question is which is better? Refer to pics below...they are actual pictures of the product.

By the way both have measurements of 2.5"
And both cost exactly the same

REGDPVG9803.jpg
[/IMG]

5ccf_1_sbl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
i dont think it really matters as long as there is no silly joins in it. And as for the bending. All u need to do is add an inch pipe to the downpipe part. Works a treat. Just need to find someone to weld it for you

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
i dont think it really matters as long as there is no silly joins in it. And as for the bending. All u need to do is add an inch pipe to the downpipe part. Works a treat. Just need to find someone to weld it for you

Which part of the downpipe are you talking about then?
The side which attaches to Turbo or to catback?

I would guess the side which goes to turbo...lengthening that would make it hang a little lower and thus clear bottom of car? correct?

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
isnt the top one a sports cat and the bottom one a decat pipe, i prefere the top one!! but you may get a little better performance with the bottom one

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
No they are both decat...I also thought looking at the piece (what looks to be a silencer) just past the bend that it was a sports cat, but that is not the case...I asked.

I must say that I was also going for that one...it looks better and if there is a little bit of silencing in that box, then it will keep the sound down a bit more...don't want any chav sounds coming from my beauty lol

SEATCOOBER

LOVE MY IBEEZA!!!
Mar 11, 2007
LINCOLN/NORWICH
think the top one will be easier to fit as it has the flexy bit at the top so it will be easier to get past bulkhead with little modification, it looks more like the dp bluefame do!!

tashacupra

Next up "twin scroll"
Jul 26, 2007
suffolk
Hi all, i've had both of these and the top one is a nightmare to modify it needs majour reconstruction to make it fit (so much work you would be better making one from scratch from pipe and fittings) so i would avoid it at all cost.

The second one however is the one to go for and it is correct what you have said in post #3.

Tasha:)

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
sorry mate i missed that question. Yeah your spot on. Its the pipe that comes off the turbo. The actual down pipe

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
So bottom one it is then!
cheers guys...also thanx for answering the question!

By the way just wanna share this as it just happened....
but was driving on freeway...about 150 km/h when i heard a pop and lost all power...I thought damn! Drove it on the (in rest of europe) total right side where there is a piece of road you can't go on except for emergency....

Went to look under bonnet everything was fine...then looked under car and saw a hose popped off intercooler. Glad I had read about this from others who it happened to. Also glad I always have tools in the car so I could put it right back on...
So was lying under the car next to freeway, fitting hose when I hear someone asking me what I was doing...I look up and its....THE POLICE!!

They weren't jackasses about it though...I explained what happened (they had no idea what I was talking about) but got it fixed in minutes...and drove back off again.
Everyhting is fine now but tomorrow gonna do up all the clamps again...

Sorry for posting that here but just wanted to share with you guys...

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
Ok a small update on this.

I took the plunge last week, and on Friday I was delivered a very nice looking 2.5" downpipe.

Although some of you on here said that I should get the 2 piece DP, I was stubborn and bought the single piece one in the first picture of first post (from EB store on EBay). It was only 100 Euro delivered!! That is a great price

Well anyway, I fitted it on Saturday, and have to say its a great piece of kit. The quality is great, and very nicely finished, including the welding. And although I was worried of knocking (almost all of you said that would happen) there is no knocking whatsoever.

There are only 2 small downsides: First of, as I am still running standard exhaust, the clamp delivered with the DP is for 2.5" to 2.5". Whereas the standard exhaust is 2". This resulted in quite a leak. I am picking up a better reducing clamp today though so that will be sorted.
Second problem was that the back lambda sensor sits on top of the muffler, and therefore doesn't clear the bottom, so I took it out. Now I have to remove it from the system when get it remapped.

All in all I am really happy. I will post pics tonight!

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
I got a standard cat and knocked the brick out, fitted a boss to the second lambda so it sat out of the flow of gasses, didnt think it would make much difference but spool up is quicker and throttle response is better, so i can imagine with a 2.5inch system your going to notice the difference.