Petrol or Diesel

alfiembra

I'm sure this will have been debated several times already but with diesel now 10p a litre dearer than petrol is it still the most economical option.

I had more or less convinced myself on going for a 2.0 Tdi Leon probably a Stylance but now I'm thinking a petrol might be a better option.

I do about 18k miles a year 90% of that on dual carriageway A roads and motorways. So if a 1.6 petrol could get me around about 40 mpg and a 1.9/2.0 Tdi gets me high 40's/low 50's, with the petrol car being cheaper to buy initially does it still make sense to go diesel.

Alan

smilley792

May 1, 2008
diesel costs more, but last a **** lot longer, hence why you save more.

buy a diesel, a 20tdi will be alot nicer to drive than a 1.6petrol

bqd

need some chocolate
Apr 19, 2008
Belgrade, Serbia
big mileage + lots of cruising speeds = diesel (less consumption + quieter as someone said)
imho only petrols in Leon worth buying are 2.0 TSI+DSG in FR and ofc Cupra :D :D :D
anything else go for 2.0 teddy :D

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
see what mileage and average tankful people get for both fuels and weigh that up with the cost of a tankful

Jace

Sneaker Freaker
Derv, not question with that milage

Put it this way, to cover 500 miles its will cost you :

Derv £68.00 ( 1 tank full)

Petrol £83.00

I'm getting better mpg as the miles pile on, I've just hit almost 18k, returned 49.9mpg on todays commute, speeds varying from 50-99.9mph on my commute

Mar 26, 2007
Norn Iron
Derv, not question with that milage

Put it this way, to cover 500 miles its will cost you :

Derv £68.00 ( 1 tank full)

Petrol £83.00

I'm getting better mpg as the miles pile on, I've just hit almost 18k, returned 49.9mpg on todays commute, speeds varying from 50-99.9mph on my commute

Id agree with the MPG, im driving average 60-80mph and getting 50mpg. FR TDI remapped.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
Premium Unleaded is almost the price of Diesel now anyway so its a no brainer really.... If you can afford it buy a petrol, but you will be paying almost as much for 30% less MPG at least... Also a Diesel engine MPG will increase over time greatly, especially after 20K

EenyMac

Feb 4, 2003
Hemel Hempstead
Visit site
I'm thinking of moving up from my MK1 TDi 130SE around the end of the year and have been considering a move back to petrol too.
I do a 100 mile round trip to the office every day so the diesel has been great but given the price outstripping that of petrol I'm having second thoughts.
The 1.4TSI, on paper, isn't too far down on mpg compared to the diesel, given the price difference now (around 13p / Litre and rising). I think if the marine companies get shafted by the EU and have to change to derv it'll push the price up even more.

So, keeping options open right now. Of course, if they get their fingers out and decide to put the newer 1.6CR TDi in the Leon to replace the aging 1.9L it may be worth a look too for the extra mpg.

So many decisions to make :shrug:

May 25, 2008
S.Wales
www.seatcupra.net
I think it depends how you drive too, I mean having the sixth gear for the dual carriage ways would make petrol alot better, I went for 1.4 tsi myself i thought it was the better choice am not a diesal person. But i alot ppl say its alot more improvement nowadays...but err yea it still remains how you drive it, slow = more petrol / fast = less petrol

Nov 6, 2007
Newark
I would have to say defo go for test drive in the 1.4tsi, its smooth quiet even when doing 80, 6 gears and has 125bhp, really nice and and goes well and good mpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.