Retrofit cruise control

muddyboots

Still hanging around
Oct 16, 2002
Cruise uses more fuel if you an analogue driver (i.e gently on/off, use momentum from hill to run you up next hill while backing off speed a little). However if you a digital driver (I'm amazed how many are...) then it saves you.. Digital drivers have 2 positions on the accelerator... full on .. full off .. as a passenger you feel the car surging all the time so no steady/slow movements of accelerator.
That's a good way of explaining it.

But going up/down hills is only a small part of the story.
A lot of it comes down to how well you concentrate on behaviour of traffic far, far ahead, how you analyse what's going on to anticipate what's going to happen, and how well you use the accelerator to adjust speed in advance before everyone else does ("acceleration sense" as Roadcraft and advanced driving people call it).

Be prepared for me to bore you to tears, the following is going to be mighty dull reading :)

Keep in mind the following principles:
1) Whenever you reduce speed by lifting off the accelerator, the engine uses no fuel.
2) Every time you brake, you've wasted fuel - because it cost fuel to gain that speed in the first place, and unless you slow down by lifting off (and cutting fuel) you've effectively wasted it.

Consider the typical driver, using cruise control:
Scenario 1....
You're on a motorway, with a light amount of traffic, you're following a long but spaced out procession of cars in lane 2 at a steady pace. You are running on cruise control. It's a typical day; you're maybe thinking about work, listening to something on the radio, perhaps talking to a passenger. You notice brakelights of the car in front, or maybe you see the high level brakelights of cars 2 or 3 ahead. You need to slow down slightly, so you brake, killing the cruise control. Cars behind you brake too.

Scenario 2....
You're driving in a single-carriageway national speed limit road with cruise control set to 60mph. There is a 40mph limit ahead. The cruise control pushes the car along at 60mph. When the driver gets near to the 40mph signs, he brakes to bring speed down, killing the cruise control.

Consider the skillful driver, not using cruise control:
Scenario 1...
Same motorway, same traffic, same scenario. However. Your mind is 100% on your driving. You have positioned your car so that with a combination of good distance from the car in front, and a slightly right-of-centre position in your lane, you can see what's going on a long way ahead. You've been watching the typical driving styles and reactions of the drivers up ahead of you. You've already spotted that a couple of hundred yards ahead in lane 1, a truck is closing the gap on another truck in front of it and is likely to pull out to overtake, but it hasn't started indicating yet. The cars in lane 2 behind where the truck will pull out are approaching it at a higher speed, which means they will have to start braking soon. This will cause all the other cars behind to slow down. Because you know this is going to happen, you very gently start to lift off the accelerator, and you gently lose speed, opening up a slightly larger gap ahead of you, while the typical drivers ahead of you maintain their speed. As expected, the cars ahead do start to brake because they're all typical drivers, event-driven by the sight of brakelights. When the brakelights of the car in front of you come on, then - no drama - you've already dropped back and adjusted your speed and you don't need to do anything; when the car in front has braked down to the desired speed, you're back at a normal distance behind him. But at no point have you touched the brake pedal, and you feel smug :) Also, you've smoothly controlled the speed of the cars behind you, so you break the procession of brake lights, and prevent those phantom jams caused by Typical Drivers. Your change in speed was so gradual and imperceptible (sp?) that your passengers didn't even notice it.

Scenario 2....
The skillful driver is driving in a single-carriageway national speed limit, not using cruise control. There is a 40mph limit ahead. The skillful driver lifts off the accelerator at exactly the right time, so that when he passes the new speed limit signs, he's lost exactly enough speed for that limit. (Advanced driving observers & examiners just love it when you perfect this...).

In both scenarios, the Typical Driver has maintained speed for longer - which requires fuel to do so - and then used the brakes when he has to.

But by the time the typical driver brakes, the skilful driver had already lifted off to adjust speed several seconds ago, and had not used any fuel during the same period.

We're only talking tiny amounts of fuel. But repeat this process over a long journey, and the skilful driver without cruise control will use less fuel than a typical driver who IS using cruise control.

On a long journey at constant speed with no speed interruptions, these situations would not occur, and there should be no difference in economy between using cruise and manual control.
HOWEVER - this type of journey rarely happens in the UK (unless you're motorway driving at 3am) and you're pretty much guaranteed to have to slow down and speed up on a fairly regular basis.

Under these circumstances, a skillful driver will use less fuel than someone using cruise control.

My Ibiza and both Passats had cruise control, and I think I can count the number of times I've used it in the UK on both hands. I've always achieved better economy and a smoother driving style without it.
TBH I think cruise control is a waste of time in this country unless you're a nocturnal motorway driver.

On the continent it's been a different story. On the autoroutes through France I've driven for well over an hour on cruise control without once having to adjust speed - partly because there is much less traffic, and partly because drivers on those roads have much better lane discipline. In these situations the car has returned mega mpg.

I think I've even bored myself now, I'm going to get a coffee :D

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
"nocturnal motorway driver" :lol:

That's me, 80 or 85 on the cruise for 95 miles and somtimes I can do it without touching the brake pedal at all during the trip

bizzaboy

I'd be asking for £175 fitted.

DSC00967.jpg

All genuine parts used.

That's a GREAT price - all inclusive! (apart from the free cups of Tea and jaffa cakes obviously) :D
Will be getting in touch within the next couple of months.

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
Muddyboots,

Yup ... more shades of grey from good to better analogue drivers..

Now I use cruise control every day commuting for about 60% of a 25 mile drive in rush hour ... but then I live in NE Scotland and chose my house relative to work to get an easy life;)... others at work spent twice the time yet move about 5 miles:doh: where an automatic is sensible:headhurt:.. in fact they could nearly walk faster (as I used to when I was there...) And I use my brakes... oh perhaps 10 times in 25 miles at junctions/roundabouts .. and end up having to use the brakes a little harder every couple of days, and use handbrake to try and keep the Cupra brakes from seizing up:(

£175 sounds a good deal to fit.. still want to know how they get the dash board out to do it properly;) for that cost..

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
i've had my cruise control fitted on my FR since about 2 weeks after buying it. My Dad fitted it. and he's since done my mam's 08 1.2 Sport Ref! Not many 1.2s about with cruise control i bet ya.

He can do it in a couple of hours, although in my mothers he had to replace the "plug thing" where all the stalks n stuff plug in down in the drivers footwell somewhere. not very technical i know. the plug that goes to the ecu... i dunno. cos mam's didnt have the right one for cruise to work. Mine did, and my bro's 52 plate 1.2 has the right one, though he's not cruised up yet.

He is considering fitting it, anybody up in the north east fancying it done? price would be similar to that above. Involves making up wiring loom, removing airbag and steering wheel, replacing stalks, wiring the loom into the cruise stalk (the hard bit!) and down to the "plug thing in the footwell" (!), testing it, and putting it all back together.

He's been a mechanic the last 35 years, the last 20ish of it in VAG. I must say even though i'm biased he's very proud of figuring it out and did a great, professional job on both our cars.

I use it for driving to work most days if i'm not late. only a 5 mile drive and quite twisty roads, but i can just set it at 40-50 and concentrate on the road, cancelling it off for the tighter corners, and increasing speed when the road opens up.

definately more economical on my drive to work. driving manually i'd be braking for corners, hammering it up the hills etc. as for motorway driving i see what people are saying about it holding your speed downhills etc, but just switch it off! use some intelligent driving.
set it at 80, it works only as hard as it needs to to keep it there. a bit harder on the ups, just enough on the flat, and not at all on the downhills if its steep enough. i dont see how it cant be more economical, unless as someone said you're cruising up to the traffic and then braking, hitting resume to get back to speed is going to use more fuel...

anybody interested in having cruise fitted?

as for the discussion on driving styles, mpg with cruise etc, very good :)

mgrays

Dec 9, 2006
Aberdeen
The engine ECU wires up to the bulkhead multiplugs in front of driver behind the windscreen wiper motor. You need to populate the bulkhead multi connector with one terminal from the dashboard side. This connector is mounted on the dashboard side and you cannot get this out or to it without taking the dash out ... you can aftermarket it by just feeding a wire somehow into the engine bay to get to the ECU (as I did at the multi connector while most seem to splice in down at the ECU which to me is a no-no (in wet dirty enviroment where cannot reseal and when it fails you have no spare wire as it is too close to the ECU connector whereas bulkhead area is clean, dry and has plenty of room to reterminate)) .. but that is then not the Factory method. It is just about possible if you have small fingers and a few extra joints in extra long arms to populate this connector in place.. but while you can see it.. you require to unlatch the connector from multi plug, unlatch connector lock, slip in new terminal in right place of 6 options, relatch, reload to multi connector.. all in about 10mm at a place you can just about touch with your finger tips..

So it works fine at a fair price but not a fully factory style installation then I suspect...;)

markthommo_84

Sep 10, 2006
England
i dont know the full details, but my dad went into the ecu in the engine bay, and to the connector down near the drivers footwell. he didnt take any dash out, just steering wheel and clocks.

and its factory enough for me. its neatly wired, and it works.

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
I use cruise on every journey, even around town, its great
Wish my old Mk1 GTI Cabby had it!
Trying to match the economy driving manually is difficult as ultimately I go faster, keep ending up putting my foot down!
I wouldn't be without cruise now, its just so antiquated without it
Drove a DSG automatic with cruise recently - now thats the future - fabulous!
Super smooth and the car just sorts it out. Particularly impressive at the first roundabout, pulled the car up at the junction, fed it out into the traffic and hit the resume button. The car just accelerates itsellf back up to seventy through the gears. Its just so serene!
Thats what I want myself next

ANdy947

Mar 20, 2003
Visit site
I have a kit that doesnt require the dash to come out, wee bit fiddly to get the bulkhead connector, but thats the only, all the other wires are plug and play.

Andy

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
That's a good way of explaining it. -/....../- I think I've even bored myself now, I'm going to get a coffee :D

That's got to be one of the longest posts I've ever seen on SCN! :blink: ;)

Just wanted to let anyone thinking about cruise control know that I had it fitted by Ross/techie yesterday (Saturday).
Took about 3 hours but I'm sure the revised wiring diagram will take 45 minutes off that time. ;)
Looks factory fitted and works a treat even if I did forget it was there for the first 10 miles of the M1. :redface:
At this price I'd recommend Ross to anyone. Think he can fit it to virtually any VAG car.
Thanks for a great job Ross and good to meet you again m0rk.

Regards Guy.

PS Nice cup of tea but where were the biscuits? :shrug: :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Ross forgot to tell me to bring biscuits:)

glad it's working & you got back missing out the A43

qwert

Jan 13, 2008
There is a how to guide on here, just do some searching, mainly in the common FAQ Ibiza MK4 section. I managed to fit it myself in about 3 hours in total. Thats being a complete novice to modding cars/electronics etc. As long as you can do one solder connection, follow a simple wiring diagram and be patient when removing all the trim. Just because your fiddling with wires people seem to assume its harder than it is, when its not! Good luck.

great_kahn

Spooge
Nov 19, 2009
Leicestershire
My recently bought 56 cupra tdi came with cruise control? was it an optional extra??? or was mine retrofitted. Its superb little gadget btw, i was so pleased when i found it.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.