wiper & washers have a mind of their own

Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
hello. for about 3weeks now ive had a problem with my wind screen wipers front and back ( but i dewipered the rear anyway now ) my wipers seem to come on all the time and turn off when they want to and so do the washer jets. Soo in the dry weather ive been pulling the fuse out lol any suggestions would be great thanks :p

Dec 3, 2007
cardiff
could be the wiper stalk mate. i know one of the guys had a problem with his and this was the issue! welcome to try mine on it one day to see if thats your problem. you probably dont live to far

Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
Hmmm i might pop into seat tmz then and see how much the stalks are. Is it an easy job to replace or ?

thanks for the reply aswell!

Blucupra

Jan 1, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I have got the same problem. When i spray and wipe the front windscreen also my rear wiper starts. I have to press the button on the stalk several times before it stops. Also my wipers (front and back) come on once in a while without even touching the stalk.

Can this problem be solved with the replacement of the stalk or is there an other way to fix this annoying problem?

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
My rear wiper has started like BluCupra's in the last few weeks. I do find that the rear one will switch off if I move the stalk to make it wash/wipe. Front ones do as they are told at the moment. I'm wondering if there is a short in the stalk connections - why replace the stalk without checking? Is it too complicated to self repair?

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
Ive had a little look but culdnt see any thing rong visable. Went to seat today and they said its best to do a diagnostics test on it and see the problem thats £29 then if its the stalk its £90 for the part and £45 fitting

Ouchy! still drivin around with my wipers foooked soo looking out for an electrical garage around my area. anyone fixed theyrs?

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
Mine has been good today - only went off 2 by itself in 80 miles of motoring... mind you, I have had a word with the rear wiper and threatened to undo it and sling it in the boot - maybe I frightened it into behaving?????

NowGottaIbizaMk5

Feb 5, 2005
Beverley
The easiest and cheapest solution - which I might well do for a few weeks - is to remove the rear wiper completely... but then the rear window gets messed up and no way to clean it ;-(

Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
did that but after a while the front starts then. mine does it all the time. solution fuse out on a sunny day fuse in on a rainy day muhaha

Mar 16, 2007
SouthWales
FINALLY! ive fixed the problem! on a day off i decided to go to the local scrapies and my luck was in they had just had a 51 ibiza in soo i helped my self to the wiper/indicator stalk and paid the man! £15 BARGIN! considering theyr £93 from the stealers lol . anyway went to a local garage then and he changed it for me for £30because i didnt want to go touch the airbags my self. just got it back and its awsome forgot wot it was like to have wiper haha soo i advise it to anyone having the problem

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members