2 fingers to the cost! I'm keeping it!

Colonelk

Nov 17, 2006
Since the cost of motoring is sky-rocketing I have been considering whether I should sell my LCR. Having looked around at cheaper alternatives I just can't bring myself to get rid of it. Diesel is now so much pricier that I need to average around 25 to 30k a year to justify it (I don't get close to this!).

Downsizing is not really an option since I've driven some of the best current small cars and they are all pants compared to the LCR. Ok they were smaller engined but they felt cramped, uncomfortable and all had wallowy body roll!

CTR or Focus ST? No thanks, use even more fuel!
Audi S3? Nice but no better really than the LCR!
New Cupra? Yuck and too expensive!

All in all I really can't find better than the LCR in its market. Its fast, comfortable, mod-able, versatile, and a real good looking car. Its not THAT expensive in the grand old scheme of things. I'm just going to have to get on my cycle a little more often thats all!!

Molehill_Mike

Rollin' on 20s
Jan 3, 2005
Bedfordshire
Fair play to you!

I currently drive a remapped Leon FR+ PD150, and to be honest it hurts puttign £65 worth of Diesel in her when I fill up, but it gets me 500ish miles and to be fair, I don't use it THAT much, during the week the wife and I commute together in her SmartCar. I did contemplate changin the Leon for a 1.7CDti Corsa, but to be honest, moneywise it wouldn't be HUGE. Plus the Leon is SOOO much better lol

Roll on next year tho, plan is to chop her in for the 1.4 Biturbo Ibiza SportCoupe thingy, IF they make it as per the Bocaneggra! :)

Mike

BCM

Keyboard Gangster
Feb 1, 2005
Wishaw, North Lanarkshire
I'm the same as you ColonelK! Keeping mine, was up for sale aroun march but i couldn't bear to part with it, got offered part x on some nice diesels but when i weighed it up i just couldn't do it, wasn't gonna work out that much cheaper and the LCR is just such a great all rounder!

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland
Dito, i sold my 03 LCR recently and when looking around for something else around the 20K mark, i was so shocked at the crap out there, nothing really took my fancy, all in all i justed ended up buying another, but nicer LCR.

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
In the same boat mate, keeping mine :)

Can't sell mine, just can't! Looked at an FR TDI, but it's just not special enough...(waits for FR TDI lovers to bite ;))

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Dito, i sold my 03 LCR recently and when looking around for something else around the 20K mark, i was so shocked at the crap out there, nothing really took my fancy, all in all i justed ended up buying another, but nicer LCR.

What crap did you look at mate? VXR's? Mini Pooper S maybe?

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent

Or..
Focus ASBO-T
New Civi Type R - worse than predecessor..
Overpriced Golfs?

Though Mk5 GTI in brilliant white with those shiny big rims they do look the tits. I'd pay for one.

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland

I was looking for a MY05/MY06 cars, looked at the below, plus a few more, but can't remember them

Golf GTI, didn't like the interior unless i could get Full leather, also hard to find 4 door models, Bremboless!!
Civic Type R, Looks to lite/small for me, only 2 doors, boy racer look, good performance though
Audi A4 1.8T, over priced, interior is mank, unless of course full leather.
Cooper S, Hairdresser stigma.
S3, well the LCR would beat the pants off this.
TT, Squeak, rattle and role.
New Cupra, well they retail for €38,000 standard in Ireland, say no more, maybe next year!

At the end of the Day, i felt the LCR looked the nicest by far, best performance, best value for money, 4 doors, so you can give more than one person a lift without people have to get out to let the rear passenger out, booth space etc.....Plus in Ireland they are not common at all, I have only seen 4 in the last 3 years, the above cars u see around every corner.

Of course there are cars i do like, but to be honest they are out of my price league and the above is only my opinion others may differ.

Last edited:

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
I was looking for a MY05/MY06 cars, looked at the below, plus a few more, but can't remember them

Golf GTI, didn't like the interior unless i could get Full leather, also hard to find 4 door models, Bremboless!!
Civic Type R, Looks to lite/small for me, only 2 doors, boy racer look, good performance though
Audi A4 1.8T, over priced, interior is mank, unless of course full leather.
Cooper S, Hairdresser stigma.
S3, well the LCR would beat the pants off this.
TT, Squeak, rattle and role.
New Cupra, well they retail for €38,000 standard in Ireland, say no more, maybe next year!

At the end of the Day, i felt the LCR looked the nicest by far, best performance, best value for money, 4 doors, so you can give more than one person a lift without people have to get out to let the rear passenger out, booth space etc.....Plus in Ireland they are not common at all, I have only seen 4 in the last 3 years, the above cars u see around every corner.

Of course there are cars i do like, but to be honest they are out of my price league and the above is only my opinion others may differ.

Agree with all of that except the S3 comment... They are quick! I'd have a new one over my LCR I think..

t0m

LCR 225
Apr 29, 2007
Kent
Off course i am pitting the S3 against my remapped LCR, i would thoroughly recommend a remap if u want more power.

Yeah, my view was purely standard v standard. S3's are tasty cars. But the LCR for the money/value isn't worth changing in today's climate, imo.

Mitchy

TTRS
Oct 12, 2004
Fair play to you!

I currently drive a remapped Leon FR+ PD150, and to be honest it hurts puttign £65 worth of Diesel in her when I fill up, but it gets me 500ish miles

Mike

£65 is that all, you must be filling up with a 1/4 tank left ;)

55litres x 132.9 = £73 a tank;)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.