Faulty aerial and AM reception

gilligan905

Thanks to searching through this forum I think I've sussed that my lack of AM reception is likely to be down to a fault with the powered signal amplifier in the roof aerial. What I can't work out though is the best way to remedy this. I searched through EBAY, and can't find a complete aerial that also also includes the base unit. I still have the factory installed head unit, so I wondered if using a powered signal amplifier that people use when installing new head units would do the trick? Any thoughts? Also, if I was able to get hold of a complete aerial I can't for life of me see how you detach the current base from the roof.

Stu_HR

Odd Member
Jun 9, 2005
The base of the standard beesting aerial includes a built-in amplifier unit - its usually water ingress into this that dstroys reception. The aerial is held on with a big nut - you need to remove the rear pillar trim which allows the headling to be lowered enough to get a spanner in.

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
I got an Auto-Leads one off ebay. Its easy to fit. One end goes into the headunit, the other bit goes on the wire that goes to the aerial on the roof. You then put the remote/power aerial wire. Its usually blue. The one you would usually connect and amp to.

Mine was only £7 or something and it works. Before I could never pick up some stations, like Radio 2, but now I can with no problems.

Heres the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-SEAT-SKODA...70|39:1|66:2|65:12&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1318

Thats the place where I got mine from aswell.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members