ABF exhaust V's 20Vt

T108

Jul 2, 2008
Ok guys the exhaust on my mk2 cupra 16v ABF is 2"bore

questions are

a. should it only be 2"bore
b. is the mk3 20vt standard exhaust 2.5"bore?

basicly i dont feel 2"is large enough for a 2.0 150bhp engine

my saxo track car ran a 130bhp 1.6 16v and i ran a 2"system on that

i want a free'er flowing exhaust but dont want a loud exhaust, and like the oem stealth look

WeeJase

pert
Jun 2, 2001
biggest restriction on the abf is the exhaust manifold if what i have read on here is anything to go by.

Feb 17, 2008
huntingdon
i wish i could remember where i saw it ( think it was in practical performance car magazine) but there is a size index that gives you the most efficient size depending your engine's bhp per ltr output. i'll have a look today and try and find it. if i remember though most cars that were 2.0L producing between 150-220 bhp needed a 2.25" system. but on most higher revving engines the manifold is a very large restriction compared with the rest of the system. 8v's are ok cos the manifolds dont restrict all that much cos it's vertually pointless revving over 6k!:lol:

T108

Jul 2, 2008
hmm, but there's no off the shelf manifold that'll fit an abf in a mk2 bay without beating the bulkhead to a pulp!

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
not noticed in all honesty - same bore size but the twin tail pipe needs a trim for the bumper

hoseman

Hi there, wanting to replace pipe on my mk 2 2.0 16v GTI and thinking of using 20VT after reading this post. £208 from main dealer, all motor factors I tried said dealer part only, any advice welcome.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
aftermarket factors wise i can tell you bosal don't list one even though they make the original

all they supply is a 50 mm one whereas it's 55.5 mm

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
for £208 i would have a stainless one made up but tell them you want it quiet like an original! sorted

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
all motor factors I tried said dealer part only, any advice welcome.

annoying Bosal don't release it aftermarket when they make the original anyway - grrr

they only do the 8v 50mm one not 55.5mm

hoseman

Theres a powerflow exhaust systems near here, are they any good?

crezz

pedro motorsports
Jun 30, 2007
Woolacombe
ahh right! perhaps it was me looking at a supersprint one and decided i didnt need to spend money on any more bits! lol

my samco hoses came today! should be all on tomorrow

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members