Tuning the 150

volvic

It's just water
Jun 28, 2008
House of Batiatus
re: the slating of DMF

isnt there a member running 300+ bhp with a DMF? with no problems?(sorry i cant remember his user name, its an audi a3...)
it seems like a 50/50 issue with dmf and smf....

i guess i cant speak from experience, but i wouldnt want to change the flywheel at all if mine is ok... just need to win the lottery :whistle:

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
re: the slating of DMF

isnt there a member running 300+ bhp with a DMF? with no problems?(sorry i cant remember his user name, its an audi a3...)
it seems like a 50/50 issue with dmf and smf....

i guess i cant speak from experience, but i wouldnt want to change the flywheel at all if mine is ok... just need to win the lottery :whistle:

I think the point is that if you're getting a new clutch, you might as well import a decent full clutch including an SMF from the USA and pay one labour charge and never need to fit another again on the basis that at some point, the DMF is going to fail. I think that's my view :)

dozza.13

PS3 Tag - Dozza1979
Jun 30, 2006
Grimsby
I get a bit of chatter with the solid friction plate, so doubt id notice a bit more rattling from the engine bay caused by a SMF! :lol:

Anyway its a diesel, it clatters like an old bus on tickover anyway, who's gonna notice a couple more rattles! :lol:

jasengine

2.0L TDI
Oct 29, 2007
Wiltshire
Look up clutch chatter on youtube, Iv'e seen someone doing the foot peddle test, can't find the link at work's pc are bared from youtube site!

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
I have that friction disc in mine with the stock DMF ... i'm still not happy with the feel of the clutch but it doesn't slip.

Given the same choices again, i'd have gone for a full SPEC clutch and single mass flywheel.

New clutch is a definate, no point getting your bhp upto 230 if you haveto limit your torque to near enough stock levels.

....by the way Fester , my SPEC clutch and SMF is being fitted tomorrow so keep your eyes open for a review type thing ;)

Aug 1, 2005
Cullompton . Devon
Personally i hate SMF with a vengance and don`t understand why so many people want one. My Spec SMF rattles a lot worse then the Helix i had on my old Cupra. I was running 440-460lb torque on my stock DMF for nearly 1.5 years with no problems but then i am a careful drive:whistle:. I only went with a SMF as nobody makes a clutch with a DMF that hold 600 lb torque. It can be heard rattling when in reverse and in low gears when curb crawling bloody hate the thing.

Husbandofstinky

Out from the Wilderness
Nov 8, 2007
Temperate Regions
I would stick with Dual Mass unless it needed replacement. It was there for a reason (refinement) so why change it unless its knackered.

Unless you're talking silly power i.e. at least hybrid then its not worth 'just' to change imo. I understand totally where Pat's coming from though.

T. Spark

I just got mine back from RS Tuning in Leeds, its abit nippy to say the least, im looking at air intakes and making sure the Forge FMIC is up to the job at the moment, think RS Tuning didnt want to push it incase it couldnt keep things cool!

However, near on 230bhp and a steady 375lb.ft means in a car that weights in @ 1000KG's its a little fast, and also a little raw!!!

I whent for the Helix uprated clutch and SMF. However word of warning, the SMF is loud, very loud. But then again, so is my exhaust, and the rest of the bleeding thing!

turkish

Mar 14, 2003
Kent
Visit site
I run the traditional Sachs uprated clutch kit with new DMF, it copes with all the Stage 2 power, has never slipped once, and feels as smooth and as easy to use as an original clutch.

Unless you are going for big big torque over 450 lbft then avoid the SMF and stick with a DMF and get the sachs kit.

strugers1

i get60 from mine lol!!!festers eyes are probably going ue to ol age!!! the on board comp prob said 60 lol

Feb 1, 2007
Nottingham
For a sachs organic disc and clutch cover try
Competition braking products
I got mine for £442 inc vat but that was a trade deal
Glynn

skullmunki

Ding Ding Round 2!!!
Nov 12, 2006
Spec stg2 clutch and steel single mass flywheel

£650 including import duty direct from spec

its all on the spec website including part numbers (although with recent problems i'm not so sure spec is a popular choice at the moment)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.