Head lights/HIDs

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Right i want some better headlights. Basically i don't want the yellow tinge that mine currently have. Has anyone just changed the bulbs to get rid of this? Im thinking this is a much cheaper option than getting HIDs.

How much are HIDs out of curiosity?

Mckellar

how longs a piece of string?

mines were nearly £200

some other folk have paid like £30 for them

Mckellar

xenon bulbs are rubbish, a wee bit whiter but nothing else, just eliminates the yellow ever so slightly.

i tried philips blue vision before i had HID's in both of my ibizas, terrible, glad i got them 1/2 price

Sep 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ok, i assume just keep an eye out on ebay for cheap HID kits. In the mean time ill get a set on xenon bulbs and see if they safice or not!

Next question is what code/size (how the hell do you measure bulbs lol) are the mk2 cupra bulbs? Are they H4?

And has anyone fitted led's to replace the rear number plate bulbs? A mate of mine has done it on his BMW and they do look awsome. Anyone know the size/code for these number plate bulbs?

Cheers

Mckellar

You not a big fan of HID's then Dave

Ollie

No, im a big fan of HID's - just not xenon type bulbs which do not work.
I've had HID conversions installed on both of my ibizas and i paid £180 for my GTI HID kit direct from possibly one of the best manufacturers - Bosch

Ok, i assume just keep an eye out on ebay for cheap HID kits.

Next question is what code/size (how the hell do you measure bulbs lol) are the mk2 cupra bulbs? Are they H4?

And has anyone fitted led's to replace the rear number plate bulbs? A mate of mine has done it on his BMW and they do look awsome. Anyone know the size/code for these number plate bulbs?

Cheers

1) Buy the cheap ones if you like, but they dont last as long, look as good and you can spot the ebay specials a mile off.

2) For GTI's the fitment is H1, for 1.4 is H4

3) I have replaced the number plate bulbs, its the same as the interior ones as far as i remember, and yes - they look good.
A tip for you, when replacing side light bulbs and number plate bulbs get White LED's as blue ones arent like HID's and are infact, royal blue - i realised this before, thankfully got my money back though and swapped for White LED.

Hope that clears some stuff up

Mckellar

M0rk off of here bought the ebay ones, you're aswell to ask him what he thinks of them

CraigW

Craig.
Apr 12, 2007
Hawick, Scottish Borders, Scotland
xenon bulbs are rubbish, a wee bit whiter but nothing else, just eliminates the yellow ever so slightly.

i tried philips blue vision before i had HID's in both of my ibizas, terrible, glad i got them 1/2 price

Ive got phillips blue vision bulbs in my ibiza and I think they are good. The ones I have give off more of a white glow, they have a tiny bit blue but not much. They are so much better than the bulbs I had before.

Im just about to change the rear number plate bulbs for white ones. Arent they the same bulbs as the sidelights??

Mckellar

feel free to come up to glasgow and compare your bulbs to my HID's lol :D

Travis

Mar 23, 2008
Isle of Man / Chester
I had these fancy Phillips bulbs in my Megane and could barely tell the difference in light output, and the colour was near enough the same.

I bought some HID's for my Ibiza off ebay, the £40 ones that many members on here have and they are brilliant. They're not really a nightmare to fit, actually very easy, it took me just over an hour but I had never even held a HID bulb before then. Could fit another set now in under 30 mins. The most awkward part is finding somewhere to mount the ballast but on the drivers side I found a threaded hole with nothing in it so bolted one of my mounts to that. And the passenger side has a gap under the headlight that the ballast slots into perfectly.

If you're interested in going for HID's mate this is the link for them. Very good price for the product.

Mckellar

I know that the phillips blue vision bulbs wont be better than HID's but I find them better than standard.

Although Im now tempted to go for a set of HID's, but will I need Bi-Xenon ones for my 1.4?

H4 bi-xenon or H4 dipped beam, it doesnt really matter

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.