Regal Autosport Vf Engineering RS/S S3

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Hey all

First post on here but thought I would share my great experience with you!

I have an Audi S3 (same engine as the Leon Cupra) The car is now ready for me to collect from Regal tomorrow after having the Vf Engineering RS/S big turbo kit fitted, had a good chat with Chris (owner of Regal Autosport) today about the work carried out and he's extremely pleased with the results and the installation!

The car is running perfectly, Regal have spent a long time adapting the kit for the 8P S3 and perfecting the map along with GIAC to have the car run safely and within the limits of the standard engine internals, power and torque figures were important but not the main aim of the project, overall drivability and reliability were paramount!

I will be posting up full logs and graphs later on today once I have them but to give you a quick idea of what affect the conversion has had on the car here are some before and after power/torque figure comparisons..

With all the mods on the car previous to the conversion the car made

358bhp
348ft/lbs

With the Regal Autosport Vf Engineering RS/S kit the car made

417bhp
385ft/lbs

Although the top end figures are impressive, Chris tells me that one of the most noticeable differences is in the mid range pull, so the car is going to feel like it has a lot more than the power increase suggests!

Picking up the car tomorrow, ill nick my brothers camera for the day and get a load of pics of the conversion too.. My god, I cant wait!!!

Full review of the car tomorrow, ill have a good long drive back from Southampton so should have a good idea how well it goes after that!

Update 1:

Here is the dyno graphs comparing the car when it drove into Regal and how it is performing now..

You may notice the noise in the lines past 5500rpm on the Big turbo plot, this is the car trying to jump out of the dyno!! cool ey!

You can run a filter on the results to get rid of any noise in the graph lines but Chris wanted to see a true result from the plot, notice just how smooth the lines are and the shape of the torque curve!!

Its making 340bhp & 380ft/lbs at 4500rpm!!!!

This is going to be amazing!

(Dashed line pre RS/S - Solid line after conversion)

RSS_S3_JC_compare_bigpower-1.jpg

Update 2:

So just got home from driving the car back 300 miles from Southampton, I have to say the car feels very very different after the conversion, even more so now its two cars in one!

Cruising back at normal motorway speeds I achieved 31.9MPG which is better than usual, I put it down to a couple of things, the mapping has been 100% tailored to my specific car so no wasted fuel and also with the car now having a bigger turbo, at cruising speeds in 6th the car is not creating any boost, therefore needs less fueling!

Anyways im sure you all want to hear about the performance, well.. Its pretty stunning to be honest!

Even smoother power delivery than the K04, and all the way to the 7k rev limit, the car has been mapped such that the turbo boost is progressively introduced from 2500rpm so when you accelerate you ride a super smooth wave of torque and power, it feels less aggressive than the K04 kit, but its firing the car down the road much quicker!

Bit cliche but its really one of those cars than anyone could jump into a drive and not even be aware that its running over 400bhp! Very much the feeling you get from a big engined car really!

So all in all its pretty amazing, im extremely pleased with the results and cant wait to come accross some 'fast' cars!:D

Oh.. And it sounds AMAZING!!

Pics and video to follow in the next few days!

Update 3:

So had a chance to drive the car in a few different conditions today, what keeps on impressing me is how smoothly the car comes onto boost and accelerates, really feels like a standard car, but not, if you knwo what I mean! :)

From the engine bay things look pretty much the same as before, I chose to retain my Evoms intake, it had to be cut down very slightly before the MAF housing to fit but it enabled me to keep the cold air feed that I had spent a lot of time sorting out!

IMG_5426.jpg

Heres a quick picture of the PCV mod that I have been talking about, this blocks off the inlet manifold and you run the hose from the PCV to atmosphere, in certain conditions you will prevent yourself loosing 1-2psi boost when the PCV opens with this mod..

IMG_5425.jpg

On a side note I have also fitted the facelight tail lights, at the same time I installed the silver rear indicator bulbs which really clean them up! Look so much better than the non-facelift lights, they are tinted slightly, think thats what does it!

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5419.jpg

Also the Lamin-X headlights, they need a while to settle in, looks like they have conensation behind them at the moment but that will burn off over time, really pleased with the look of them, pretty mean!

IMG_5423.jpg

IMG_5421.jpg

Next step for the car is to get the Low compression forged pistons and forged rods in, de-cat the exhaust, go with bigger FSI injectors and re tune the car to suit, should be able to achieve 450bhp and 400ft/lbs after them modifications and run the car a little bit more aggressively on the boost in the mid range..

IMG_5420.jpg

Big thanks to all the guys at Regal, top job once again!!

Jonny

Last edited:

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
So have you come on here to advertise that then?

I have the APR Stage 3 big turbo kit if you want to compare.

Im very dubious how the car made 358hp on the standard turbo.

Big turbo's are great, although you will miss low end power, I certainly did.

Last edited:

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
I was sharing my experience, planning on posting up logs etc once I have the car back from Regal, make of it what you will but I thought it was pretty interesting lol..

I would love to compare cars:)

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Hi Jonny, Good to see you over here.

I met jonny at the Prosport RR day in Stockport, his was a good runner it did high 330's when I saw it. Difficult to know what the loadings were on that day but his car has got a tidy setup on it.

My own produced just over 316hp but we found the RR figures were measuring a german PS figure so in that sense it's actual output was around 311hp if you converted it. At Awesome mine often produces usually around 305hp, so different RR different conditions. I felt Prosports had a fairly good setup if at worst a little generous on the calculations.

To be fair a K04 is going to really struggle to push out 340's plus let alone 350's, I think the 358 figure is a bit ambitious really. Were other cars run on that day, just seems overly generous to me.

I'm sure Regal will love the attention, I'll begrudge them that being have so far been a tough cookie to crack. ;) I don't think the power of the internet has really caught up with them yet though, or maybe it has :p but I won't hold it against them on this occasion. Just be aware other companies sponsor us and were pretty strict on advertising. Regal might want to be aware of that fact before they send folks out pimping their wares.

However, very interested to hear your experiences with the kit Jonny, I always apply a healthy level of skepticism of power claims by any tuner. At some stage I'd like to see some independent figures maybe run at a RR day with other cars as a bench mark. The 417 figure I expect to be a flywheel claim, because I doubt its at the wheels. So a calculation of the transmission loss would be interesting, I think overall Dan's Stage 3 Leon would be fairly close under similar conditions.

No doubt it will go like the clappers though. [B)]

Last edited:

Deckedr32

it does, but it is not. Knew I had seen this somewhere else, my mate emailed me the link. he is awaiting the arrival of his S3 and cant wait to spend money on it lol

anyway, here is the link - http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=60140

LOL, not sure about a big turbo yet..... Want to know what the daily drive is like and MPG first. If it's good I may bypass the Revo remap! But spending money with VF again i'm not so sure about!

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
lol, how many forums do you have to post on to get the discount then?

Deckedr32

Im very dubious how the car made 358hp on the standard turbo.

I've got to say, I've seen quite a few dyno's with K04 cars hitting 350bhp.
remap, intake, exhaust, S3 intercooler, 99ron+ fuel and a cool engine/enviroment it's possible!

Poverty

If I had a big turbo conversion on my car I would share the results on all the relevant websites!

Perhaps I woudlnt mention the company name till asked though!

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
I have posted on all of the relevant sites really, if people are not happy with me posting here then ill stop, no problem! Just thought it would be of interest to some of you guys as you may be looking into doing something similar in the future!?

Update 2 added! :)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I've got to say, I've seen quite a few dyno's with K04 cars hitting 350bhp.
remap, intake, exhaust, S3 intercooler, 99ron+ fuel and a cool engine/enviroment it's possible!

Got any links to these graphs?

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
Peak figures maybe at a push. But as djhorace inquires I too would be interested to see the graphs. 340hp plus is great pub chat but if it lasts for about 500rpm its close to pointless.

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Peak figures maybe at a push. But as djhorace inquires I too would be interested to see the graphs. 340hp plus is great pub chat but if it lasts for about 500rpm its close to pointless.

Since the Prosport RR day I had the full exhaust made to 3" which certainly made a big difference and also fitted the PCV mod which allows the car to hold another 2psi in certain conditions..

Also Regal have BIG fans when dyno testing the car, and they run the bonnet open, makes a big difference!!

As I said to you on the Prosport day the intake has never been that hot before, after a drive on the road its very cool to the touch, because of the heat tape and the CAI that I run..

If you check out the graph, the dashed line is the car with the K04 turbo, pretty nice curve really..

Jonny

jonnyc

Sep 3, 2008
Also have a vid of the car, dont want to post for obvious reasons so if you would like to see it ill send you the link! :)