Forum maintenance upgrade - 02/09/08

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
Nowhere near, i.e. Norway.
the black/grey bars imo make the forum section index quite hard on the eyes, not sure if its just me.
I second that. The grey text on the "grey" background is exhausting on my eyes.

Not just what he mentions, but the time stamp on the posts is virtually impossible to read. I tried IE, FF, Opera, Chrome all the same.

Is it just me? (I use 1920x1200 on a 24" and I'm sitting in a distance according to that and usually don't need binoculars or squinting.)

Fl@pper

Back older greyer and less oilier but always hope
Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
I second that. The grey text on the "grey" background is exhausting on my eyes.

Not just what he mentions, but the time stamp on the posts is virtually impossible to read. I tried IE, FF, Opera, Chrome all the same.

Is it just me? (I use 1920x1200 on a 24" and I'm sitting in a distance according to that and usually don't need binoculars or squinting.)

try safari and select view text bigger or see if any you use show facility

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
SCN should have the thanks thingy that briskoda has! so people can thank members when thyv helped out.
si

I like the trader count on forums as well. For when people sell something they can get a rating. Least can be see who has a good history etc..

andycupra

status subject to change
Well its been a few days now since the update...

I'll take this chance to say i think we need to keep an eye on avatar text and signature/footnote sizes as each posts can take up most of the screen yet only have 1 line of text in the post. - although other users may like this?.

but..
i have to say the forum is looking very good. So well done to all those involved, the effort may not be appreciated as much as it should, but it is appreciated all the same :)

While i have my own personal likes and (minor) dislikes i can see that for the clear majority of people the forum will be good to use and view and is a great improvement on the old set up which wasnt bad itself!

You cant please all the people all of the time but you have given it a good go!

:cheers:

lc_allan

Northern Monkey
Sep 15, 2006
I like looking at people sigs but take this user for example 'paul26982'.
He has two pictures of his car that are not even side by side :lol:
One line of text for most of his replies but a huge sig.

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
guy's, since the forum has been updated i am no longer able to log on to the site using my mobile phone. may not be the most major thing but its a little annoying when trying to check stuff when out and about

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
try safari and select view text bigger (...)

Of course the text gets bigger when it's selected like that in Safari (and all browsers).

My point was that if the text needs to have almost the same colour as the background, it should be bigger.

6s and 8s are hard to tell apart. 3s and 5s can also be a problem.

(...) or see if any you use show facility
Sorry, but I've no idea what you're saying.

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
i have tried all browsers at all sizes and to be honest even on smallest i cant see how u cant read it ?

might be just me though ?

v-g

is an alien.
Mar 10, 2004
i have tried all browsers at all sizes and to be honest even on smallest i cant see how u cant read it ?

might be just me though ?

Yes! It's you! You can't possibly read the smallest text in Firefox, no way:

smallest_text_FF.jpg

(Pic is not messed with. It's a screen grab.)

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
wow that is small lol my firefox doesn't go down as small as that ?

what the hell you done to that ???

ill post a pic later but i'm not surprised yuo can't read it if it goes that far :)

andycupra

status subject to change
andycupra, you can turn sigs off you know?

a good point,
when i turned signatures off i got pages like below, so guess id need to turn off avatars also to be able to view multiple post per page.
However i tend to use bright colours avatars so i can quickly find my posts in long threads..

For long popular threads, i dont suppose there is a way to go to the last post/page that you have previously viewed, or the last post you have made easily is there?

Or perhaps can it be set up so that if i am logged in, my name to myself only appears in a different colour?

singaturesoff.jpg

Last edited:

Fl@pper

Jun 19, 2001
Gloucester
on my works one (3.0.1) it goes smaller like that to well unreadable but mines set same as one above and going one step smaller the time posted dissapears into a blur so i get what you mean

safari doesnt go as small (no point anyway if there's text to read really) but with truefont on it's still readable at its smallest as it's so clear

why not give it a try ? prefer it over firefox myself at present

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.