induction kit for cupra R

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
What is the best induction kit for a 2004 leon cupra R. At the moment iv got a standard K/N cone, which is losing me alot of power. Iv been looking at the BMC cda induction kit, is this the best one to go for, as its highly rated, any suggestions would be helpful, cheers Alex:headhurt:

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
What is the best induction kit for a 2004 leon cupra R. At the moment iv got a standard K/N cone, which is losing me alot of power.

How do you know?

Iv been looking at the BMC cda induction kit, is this the best one to go for, as its highly rated, any suggestions would be helpful, cheers Alex:headhurt:

The BMC was good as was the Dynatwist (quality and sound)

Although none felt any better performance wise than the std air box with a decent filter (Green Cotton) and a slightly larger air feed

Depends what you are after though

AwesomeSarah

Forum Sponsor
Mar 6, 2006
I know on the TTforum , they go mad for the Neuspeed one
One of their guys Wak , did quite a bit of testing on quite a few Induction kits
I can have a look to see if I can find it for you
Sarah

Last edited:

terry

SPEED FREAK !!!!
Feb 21, 2002
worcestershire
Visit site
Hi
icestorm if you have no plans for an exhaust/sports cat or de-decat with a custom re-map you are im affraid to say better off using the standard air box.:doh:
I know you get claims of 5 to15 bhp on various air filters:rolleyes: but unless your car is custom mapped to any mods you have sometimes your car will loss bhp not gain it.
I would keep the standard air box and use a quality foam panel filter if i was going to spend a few quid.
But dont throw your cash down the drain on a big air filter unless your spending the money on the other mods to go with it in the near future.
Also a custom map would tell you that the engine is being fueled correctly (not running lean etc).
Quick example my Evo was 366 tested on dyno pack then had the following done
HKS racing suction kit, APS full 3" turbo back de-cat exhaust.
Put it back on dyno pack and got 372bhp (6BHP GAIN).
Then had the car re-mapped to the mods and new plugs and got 446.3bhp so as you can see its all about having the car tuned to the bits you have on the car at that time.
Cheers

D.K

LCR 225
Oct 24, 2007
se london
Mod your O/E airbox mate, Search for "smoothed airbox" It will cost nowere near as much as an induction kit and will perform just as well.

turbin

What is the best induction kit for a 2004 leon cupra R. At the moment iv got a standard K/N cone, which is losing me alot of power. Iv been looking at the BMC cda induction kit, is this the best one to go for, as its highly rated, any suggestions would be helpful, cheers Alex:headhurt:

I have K/N 57i cone filter. Not loosing any power here... quite the oposite Id say...

rsmith

Robbie
Apr 28, 2004
Tipperary, Ireland

I have recently put a Nuespeed P-Flo on my 05 LCR, i do notice a better throttle response and slight but not much MPG increase. i don;t have any logs to prove any BHP gain but it does feel like it pulls harder, it may be in my head, but hey it feels good.The only downside i have noticed it that it is very loud outside the car when dumping, which isn't everyones cup of tea.

Also if you search the forums there is a huge amount of stuff on induction kits, try searching for "induction war"

trialsmaster81

I have a Ramair in my 03 Cupra R, Sounds awesome! Like someone else said does sound like Darth Vader in the glove box! I have however just purchased the BMC CDA Induction will be fitting this weekend, willl get back to you on the difference, if any!

RobDon

Pro Detailer
Cone filter will not lose you power, I lost power with a BMC because it's too restrictive. Many tests have shown a cone filter gives good gains and the sucking in hot air thing is nonsense on turbo cars, the intercooler cools the charge air before it enters the engine, air filter temp means nothing when the turbo heats the air to 130+ degrees.

I did back-to-back tests myself with an enclosed filter and then an open cone - intake temp was exactly the same but the car felt stronger using the open cone.

andy_h

Robdon, just a wee point, if the air coming into the turbo is cooler it will carry more oxygen and will help get a little bit more boost from the turbo because it doesnt have to compress the air as much or something like that, its 5am and iv had a few lol, ill dig out my engineering text book tonight and try to explain it better. but i get your point, not as important as on a na car.

icestorm81

Sep 9, 2008
Dorset, Dorchester
Forge induction kit

Just letting all you guys know, i have just fitted a Forge induction kit to replace the K/N i had. The quality is top notch, the carbon fibre is finished to a much higher stardard than the bmc cda one, it was 30 pounds cheaper and it looks the dogs bollocks, i will be putting up some pictures soon. The car drives alot better now, does'nt jerk like it used too and the throttel respose is a hell of alot better, plus you get a nice meaty growl higher up the rev range:lol:

turbin

Just letting all you guys know, i have just fitted a Forge induction kit to replace the K/N i had. The quality is top notch, the carbon fibre is finished to a much higher stardard than the bmc cda one, it was 30 pounds cheaper and it looks the dogs bollocks, i will be putting up some pictures soon. The car drives alot better now, does'nt jerk like it used too and the throttel respose is a hell of alot better, plus you get a nice meaty growl higher up the rev range:lol:

prove it

Jonny

slightly insane monkey
Jul 5, 2005
South Wales
Robdon, just a wee point, if the air coming into the turbo is cooler it will carry more oxygen and will help get a little bit more boost from the turbo because it doesnt have to compress the air as much or something like that, its 5am and iv had a few lol, ill dig out my engineering text book tonight and try to explain it better. but i get your point, not as important as on a na car.

Our gas turbines work much the same way... (intake, filter housing, compressor, combustion cans, turbine, exhaust) The difference in output between hot & cold air inlet temperature is huge... during the summer (20+ degrees) we can be as much as 25MW down on power compaired to winter (~5 degrees)... or to put it another way, around 10%

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
Our gas turbines work much the same way... (intake, filter housing, compressor, combustion cans, turbine, exhaust) The difference in output between hot & cold air inlet temperature is huge... during the summer (20+ degrees) we can be as much as 25MW down on power compaired to winter (~5 degrees)... or to put it another way, around 10%

but if you added a FMIC after compressor, wouldnt it bring the temps back down? if efficient enough wouldnt that reduce any hot air to the ambiant temp?

i have a heat shield on mine but more for cleaner air if honest.