SEAT Sport UK call time on the BTCC

Andywarr

Feb 27, 2008
The cartridge world team are trying something new with the Bio Fuel Car, that deserves support, and Adam Jones/Air Cool have proved that they have the pace to challenge, so thats good. Stockton has had his run of bad luck, and doing well in a dated car, but still deserves the support, so I'll be getting behind all the boys next year, whatever may happen. (with the exception of them defecting to other makes of car of course)

here here

tris

The Daddy
Feb 25, 2005
Kent & Track Days
www.leoncupra.net
I dont belive it after all this time of getting so close to winning both titles and all the time to get the TDI working it seems a waste of time and work
I think I speck for most when I say I am gutted to hear this very sad news

F2 Stu

I. Am. Legend.
Oct 4, 2001
Crawley, UK
Visit site
Oh ****:(

One would of thought the switch to the TDI engines would mean they would of carried on a couple of years more :shrug: ovbiously not......

Well all good things must come to an end as they say, Ive imensley enjoyed the past 6 years of complimentory passes & tickets etc, the great racing and the great memories thats come with it. I just hope they do the business once again at Brands next week and take a bow in style:)

alx_chung

Dark Lord of the Torque
Sep 11, 2006
In front of a PC....
Agreed.....gutted as I was hoping to see the TDI's in action next year :(
But well done on what Seat Sport UK has acheived over the past 6 years. Hope that they come back in the near future.
Alex

andyb

Admin -SCN Canada:)
Aug 29, 2001
Vancouver
www.andyblackmoredesign.com
it wouldnt surprise me if there are more Indie Leon's next year in the BTCC.

However, its a sad end. They came, the saw, they took part and they are finally starting to conquer.

Problem with SEAT for me, is, its the motor racing which helps make it a sporty brand. Too many models, marketing and ad campaigns are budget led. SEAT Had a reputation as a budget brand, then they went someway to become a sporty brand, but its still budget to many.

Wonder where Plato will end up

Jul 17, 2004
West Lothian
I can only surmise that they are suffering as a result of the downturn, that seems to be really hurting the motor vehicle trade at the moment. That's if you read the trade press releases at least.

Could well be why. It's not cheap to do the BTCC either, we've not seen any of the usual mid-season entries this year as a result of the cost and the 'credit crunch'.

Although I've never been a fan of the team as such, I doubt I would have ever owned a SEAT had I not looked over them at their displays at the circuits back in 2004 and decided that was the car for me. :)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
Gutted that seat won't be there next year; is there any news on whether Jason and Darren will be driving other cars? Looks like Matt Jackson and Adam Jones will be getting my support..

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
‘Now it is time to emphasise SEAT’s sporty and stylish image through other marketing activities, which will continue to enhance the brand’s profile. I would like to thank all the many people that have helped us achieve so much in both the BTCC and SCC over the past few years – they can be very proud of what they have contributed. I would also like to thank, on behalf of everyone at SEAT UK and SEAT Sport UK, the many fans who have followed our progress over these past few years. Your support is hugely appreciated.’

I find it a little disappointing really, that they want to carry on to emphasise the sporty and stylish image of the brand. Yet they will no longer be racing. I just hope the new marketing suits don't drop the ball that has been so well molded over the last few years. :think: I await with interest.

I hope our support is appreciated in the future too, because SCN has no plans to shut up shop. :) The motor racing came several years after SCN and I would say the forum has grown more of a result of it's own successes as much as SEAT's too.

But we will miss supporting them, and pledge our support to the independents that carry on flying the SEAT flag.

Last edited:

ZBOYD

Looking up at the stars!
May 19, 2001
Cheshire
www.seatcupra.net
I doubt Darren will struggle for work, he has a pretty good career as a sports car driver anyway. No doubt he will look for more jobs in that line. Plato has a fairly successful media career that he can fall back onto.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him move to the WTCC team though. However there has been rumours of another manufacturer entering the BTCC. So you never know what might happen.

Personally I really hope it's not the last we see of SEAT in the BTCC, and they might come back in the future. Maybe with the EXEO. ;)

DannyC87

Rubbing is Racing :-)
Mar 4, 2008
It would be good to see them return in the future. Hopefully they end on a high with some good racing at Brands :)

CupraSport

Mar 8, 2004
Bolton
Visit site
I have just read the news as well what can I say but gutted, I was starting to hope that over the next few year we could of ended up with a string of manufactures in the BTCC but with SEAT dropping out and the credit crunch kicking in I think we may see a smaller field in 2009

Timthebrief

Barmy Army sleeper cell
I guess we can all understand that money is tight for all the car manufacturers and motorsport budgets are always vulnerable to the bean counters. That said for a brand that has totally reinvented itself as a sporting brand with a fair degree of on-track and sales success, it seems a crazy decision to pull out now when the TDI package is really coming good. What other marketing strategy can be half so effective in enthusing potential buyers and creating committed fans and ambassadors for a sporty brand? Barmy Army take a bow :wave:

Do they know something about impending rule tweaks to penalise the diesels or have other manufacturers thrown their weight about because they can't or won't go down the diesel route?
Hope they at least stick with the WTCC but I fear there's more to this than meets the eye. :(

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
Could well be why. It's not cheap to do the BTCC either, we've not seen any of the usual mid-season entries this year as a result of the cost and the 'credit crunch'.

£3M straight on the bottom line by stopping BTCC - sure makes sense if they don't have £3M

chungster

SCN Veteran
May 27, 2001
Bedfordshire, UK
Visit site
They haven't pulled the plug on the WTCC too have they?

This is just a decision of SEAT Sport UK not SEAT Sport Spain (who do the WTCC side of things i presume?)

Shame to see them go tho. I loved the SCN hospitality at BTCC this year!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members