Advise on an Extended warranty?

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
Hi all :)

My Cordoba TDI 130 is 3 years old at the weekend so my seat warranty expires.

I've been in contact with a company called 'Warranty Direct' and they have given me a price of £338 for a years cover.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with this company or could suggest somewhere better.

My local Seat dealer has quoted me between £450 and £500 which i think is ridiculous :cry:

The salesman at warranty direct told me that they will cover the FULL amount of labour and part costs at seat rates. Also I can pay in 12 monthly , interest free installments.

Any advice on this matter will be greatly appreciated ,

Mark :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Fuzzy123

Read the terms and conditions very carefully. Your not neccesarily buying what the salesman says, you are buying the paperwork that you sign. You need to now exactly what the warranty covers and what it doesn't. Generally speaking the more money you spend the more is covered.

joonspoon

175hp. 275lbs/ft.
Nov 18, 2006
Oxfordshire
Do you mean having a service contract/warranty thing?

I'd do a Google search and check out a few others.
Then try playing one off against the other for a better deal.
Remember that sales people earn money by selling things (ie commission).
Don't assume that the person you're talking to is working to get the best deal for you.

You might like to consider these points;
What did your Seat warranty cover? (Paint corrosion etc. are covered for more than 3 years on my Ibiza).
What do you want the new warranty to cover?
You can use an independent service place which will likely offer a lower hourly rate. (30,000 service on my car £241 including VAT)
If you look after your car and have it serviced as per the Seat schedule, is it worth paying for cover on something that is unlikely to go wrong?

Personally I'd take the chance and not bother with another warranty.
£338 for a service on a 4 year old car seems a bit pricey to me.
By the way what's the mileage on the car?

JMHO! :)

Regards Guy.

luckymjr

cordy's are cool
Nov 29, 2006
hertfordshire
By the way what's the mileage on the car?

JMHO! :)

Regards Guy.

The current mileage is 38400k.

At the beginning of this week the car failed its first MOT on the 2 front bushes :cry:
This took me by surprise as i did not expect a 3 year old car with a full seat service history to fail .
( Luckily for me though i still have a few days left on the existing warranty)

It was for this reason that i started to consider taking out an extended warranty. What if the Turbo should fail , or the ecu unit , and all the other expensive things.

Oh and thanks for your replies ,

Mark :)

Trumpetman21

Fully Membered
Jan 17, 2006
Manchester
I wouldn't bother.

My car turned 3 years old just under a month ago and I too was offered an extra year's warranty at an absolutely ridiculous price - over £400 IIRC.

If it was for 3 or even 2 years extra I may have given it a moment's thought but as soon as I saw it was only for 12 months (and the fact the 'What is not covered' section was three times larger than the 'What is covered' section) I shredded it immediately.

Robbers.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members