White Dial Kit

White Dial Kit

• Total voters

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Anybody fitted a white dial kit to their Toledo?
Thought it might be a way to spuce it up inside along with the chrome fascia kit.

Seen these on flea bay and they seem quite cheap - maybe too cheap :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/White-Dial-speedo-Seat-Toledo-140-and-Leon-Cupra-160_W0QQitemZ290260422854QQihZ019QQcategoryZ72216QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I noticed for the V5 170 it would have to be the 160MPH version to match the current ones.

Also anyone know how easy is it to remove the speedo to do this job?

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
I'm guessing you think they're a bit chavtastic :(

mate, i have said it time and again..........if your happy with it, it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks...

We strive to make our cars individual....if we were all liked the same thing, we would all be driving different colour clones of the tolly.....;)
just remember to take piccies when you have done it!:D

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Well you know that old saying 'I told you so' :cry:

Ok the white dials arrived and the first signs weren't great, the postie had squashed the envelope through my letterbox and creased the dials slightly. To say the dials were something of a dissapointment would be an understatement. They look like they are photocopied onto a piece of white cardboard and then cut around by a young infant let loose with a pair of scissors. But I wasn't going to let this get me down, these would still look great once they were fitted, I was convinced, and the pictures i could upload to SCN would make Sam eat her words. Now initially removing the needles slightly worried me, but as there was nothing in the supplied instructions about how to replace them I thought this would be a doddle. :whistle:

So off came the old dials and needles and on went the new dials with the old needles replaced back on to the '0' positions. I connected it all back up and refiitted back into it's recess. Twas looking pretty damn fine if you half closed your eyes. Turned the ignition on to check all was ok and low and behold my rev counter settled at a nice 4.7K rpm and my speedo about -(yes minus)30mph. The temp gauge and petrol were also screwed. Whilst watching in horror as the needles dived in every direction I then noticed a fine red glow from the back of the dials and realised this special material cardboard allowed light through from all directions - looking absolutely cheap and nasty.

Needles to say the white dials are now removed and the originals replaced. I have my speedo and Rev counter needles set back properly though I'm not quite sure how I managed it. The Temp and fuel still read a bit low. If anyone know the correct way to sort this please let me know.

In summary PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T BUY THESE DIALS! :headhurt:

and SAM, you were right my friend.

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
One other thing you could do 'kewe' - but i'm not sure of the cost - would be to buy (whether it be from eBay, scrap or main steeler) a instrument panel from a 2004 (04 or 54 plate) toledo SE DTi 130. The white dials are standard fit!

My opinion is that, along with the back lit display lamps that are always on giving a red glow, they look quite something! :funk:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
One other thing you could do 'kewe' - but i'm not sure of the cost - would be to buy (whether it be from eBay, scrap or main steeler) a instrument panel from a 2004 (04 or 54 plate) toledo SE DTi 130. The white dials are standard fit!

My opinion is that, along with the back lit display lamps that are always on giving a red glow, they look quite something! :funk:

Thanks for the info, this did cross my mind. But wouldn't the Revs for the TDI be different from a V5? I think I would need the Cupra ones that go to 160mph and redline at 6.5K which is same as LCR I think?

Dai Rob

Apr 11, 2008
Blaenau Gwent
Yeah good point! Not sure what mine go up to without looking. As you rightly say it won't be as high as a petrol head'd tolly!

Good luck with the upgrade if you decide to head that way. I think on the right car they look great and not out of place at all. :shrug:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
cheers mate, i'll keep a lookout on e-bay. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether you can just replace the whole speedo and how it would affect the mileage counter or any other settings from the ecu for example?

I also e-mailed the guy about the white dials on e-bay and he has offered to send me a new improved version foc. I wait in anticipation :D

nak

May 13, 2006
Things we do, but a good learning curve for all mate, ,definately more switched on to these dial kits now, i know there are some really good dial kits out there, but don't cover the Tolly, so keep in touch and tell us about the new improved version hmmmmmmmm
What about changing yor dash blubs to blue, instead of the white dials ?

Last edited:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Things we do, but a good learning curve for all mate, ,definately more switched on to these dial kits now, i know there are some really good dial kits out there, but don't cover the Tolly, so keep in touch and tell us about the new improved version hmmmmmmmm
What about changing yor dash blubs to blue, instead of the white dials ?

Yeah seems strange why Lockwood don't do the Toledo or Leon, only the Beezer i think.
I used to have a VW with the blue backlit dials + red needles and have to say I loved them, but to work on the tolly I think everything would have to change to blue on the dash i.e. climate control, switches etc.. I also think the 'bulbs' in the speedo are in fact small surface mount led's that would need to be removed from the PCB and replaced with Blue ones - high risk you could screw the whole thing up, so probably wont go down that road.

I'll let you know how I get on with the new version dial kit if it ever arrives :rolleyes:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It's a shame these have let you down... however white dials isn't something I ever bothered about.

I'll bear this in mind... I'm seriouslly considering another Toledo at the moment and think I may be back over this way soon.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
It's a shame these have let you down... however white dials isn't something I ever bothered about.

I'll bear this in mind... I'm seriouslly considering another Toledo at the moment and think I may be back over this way soon.

Yeah we'll see if the new batch is any better, if not i'll stick with the originals.
I guess your missing some of the home comforts and refinement the Toledo has to offer?
What model would you be thinking of then?

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
Yeah we'll see if the new batch is any better, if not i'll stick with the originals.
I guess your missing some of the home comforts and refinement the Toledo has to offer?
What model would you be thinking of then?

I've said from the day I got my Ibiza Mk4 that the Toledo was a lot better - I've recently found a lad selling a Toledo 1.9 TDI SE with decent miles on it so I've offered him a swap with my Ibiza (Which has above average miles, and needs a couple of sensors) but we'll see what happens. :)

The other thing is that I let my girlfriend drive the car at the weekends, she hasn't been driving long and would rather the Ibiza than the Toledo - but I'm the one who does 80 miles every day in it.

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
Soz to hear that you were caught out with inferior goods.....
should have them under trades description if the picture is different from the goods you received...
hope the new dials are better mate:)

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
I've said from the day I got my Ibiza Mk4 that the Toledo was a lot better - I've recently found a lad selling a Toledo 1.9 TDI SE with decent miles on it so I've offered him a swap with my Ibiza (Which has above average miles, and needs a couple of sensors) but we'll see what happens. :)

The other thing is that I let my girlfriend drive the car at the weekends, she hasn't been driving long and would rather the Ibiza than the Toledo - but I'm the one who does 80 miles every day in it.

Now there's a nice looking WRX going cheap at a garage down your way.
Evans Halshaw in Kilmarnock have one at less than £5K. If it was a bit nearer to home that's where I'd be heading. :whistle:

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
Soz to hear that you were caught out with inferior goods.....
should have them under trades description if the picture is different from the goods you received...
hope the new dials are better mate:)

Didn't really expect too much for £10 tbh and the photos are of the actual dials sent, just you cannot tell from the pics that they're cardboard.

kewe

Jun 20, 2001
Edinburgh
Visit site
OK, I was bored today with time on my hands and the new dials never showed yet. so I thought i'd give the originals one last go as I know how to refit the needles now.

Added a poll to see what folks think as we haven't had one for a wee while :D

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.