why aint dump valve's very loud on 20v t

drvince

May 10, 2004
The Netherlands
And this is with open cone and 007p with a remap of some kind? what boost you runnning. Cause thats louder than my split-r valve.

No, I have a standard car. Standard airbox. No remap or whatever.

Yes it is a 007p, but it could as well be the the original plastic Bosch one.
It doesn't matter when dumping atmospheric !!

Just unplug the bottom of your DV from the intake hose (and block intake hose
with a cork) , and you're all done.

Loudest Woosh possible.
You don't need any addition to your car, to get that sound.

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
No, I have a standard car. Standard airbox. No remap or whatever.

Yes it is a 007p, but it could as well be the the original plastic Bosch one.
It doesn't matter when dumping atmospheric !!

Just unplug the bottom of your DV from the intake hose (and block intake hose
with a cork) , and you're all done.

Loudest Woosh possible.
You don't need any addition to your car, to get that sound.

Bye bye turbo :wave:

drvince

May 10, 2004
The Netherlands
No need to be sorry to me mate its your turbo you should be saying it to lol

The engines are set up for recirc valves for a reason, turbo go bang bang otherwise

Haha !

I see you have a lot of knowledge.

Yes the turbo will blow up :)
Because it knows it is dumping to air instead of a hose connected to ... air

Myki da Pyki

Jul 15, 2007
Bristol
www.facebook.com
Haha !

I see you have a lot of knowledge.

Yes the turbo will blow up :)
Because it knows it is dumping to air instead of a hose connected to ... air

Well actually yeh i do. Spent many hours researching about DV's before i made my choice.

I never said the turbo knows whats going on because it simply doesnt, but the ECU does. By having it set up the way you have it there is excess pressure on the turbo so it WILL go bang alot quicker than if it had a recirc valve on it.

Now try telling me i dont know what im talking about....

truCido

Race Lupo in progress...
Dec 11, 2003
Bristol
www.vagowners.co.uk
Well actually yeh i do. Spent many hours researching about DV's before i made my choice.

I never said the turbo knows whats going on because it simply doesnt, but the ECU does. By having it set up the way you have it there is excess pressure on the turbo so it WILL go bang alot quicker than if it had a recirc valve on it.

you dont know what your talking about till i get my £10 deposit for karting :p

drvince

May 10, 2004
The Netherlands

I am sorry but you are wrong.
Read some other posts around here, about recirc and atmospheric dumping.

Mat

can't just say he's wrong.

at least give a reason why he's wrong. even if it's just to educate mr d :cartman:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
The whole point of a re-circ is to equalise the pressure difference, before and after the compressor blades. If you cork it, the TB side will be a LOT higher pressure than the Intercooler side because the air has no-where to go. This often makes the "Pigeon Flutter" effect as the compressor blades stall because the air is wanting to go backwards to equalise.

In low boost applications (<1.4bar ish) this shouldn't do any damage, however at higher boost it should be avoided. Either way it will cause more lag, especially when shifting on maximum boost.

:)

drvince

May 10, 2004
The Netherlands
The whole point of a re-circ is to equalise the pressure difference, before and after the compressor blades. If you cork it, the TB side will be a LOT higher pressure than the Intercooler side because the air has no-where to go. This often makes the "Pigeon Flutter" effect as the compressor blades stall because the air is wanting to go backwards to equalise.

In low boost applications (<1.4bar ish) this shouldn't do any damage, however at higher boost it should be avoided. Either way it will cause more lag, especially when shifting on maximum boost.

:)

Eehm ?! What ?!

Then you all didn't get me correct.
Now I understand what you mean with turbo problems/blowing up etc. Hahaha !

You don't CORK the DV !!!!! (otherwise how would I get my woosh then?)

You simply just cork the connection that's left open, when you disconnect the DV from the air-intake hose.
Nothing else !!!

If you wouldn't cork it after removing the DV, it may suck some unfiltered air in there.
(it is an AIR intake hose, eh ?)

Last edited:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
Ahh ok, well if you're dumping to atmosphere, you're really going to confuse the ECU and loose power on a 1.8T due to the MAF positioning...

After all the MAF has read all the air that has passed it and the ECU thinks its still recirculating, whereas you have just let it all go to atmosphere! Therefore the engine will be momentarily strangled and over fuelling massively until fresh air is sucked through the circuit.

But must agree, it wont bugger up the turbo in that case :)

drvince

May 10, 2004
The Netherlands
Ahh ok, well if you're dumping to atmosphere, you're really going to confuse the ECU and loose power on a 1.8T due to the MAF positioning...

After all the MAF has read all the air that has passed it and the ECU thinks its still recirculating, whereas you have just let it all go to atmosphere! Therefore the engine will be momentarily strangled and over fuelling massively until fresh air is sucked through the circuit.

But must agree, it wont bugger up the turbo in that case :)

That's also a big misunderstanding generally read in this forum.
How would the MAF register this ? The DV is upstream of the MAF ! :)

Unless you mean the MAP perhaps ? (manifold pressure)
That's right.

Some software versions in ECU will produce (erronous) fault codes.
(my car doesn't by the way). Because it thinks there's a leak.

But what would it matter?
You know where they come from, because you did it on purpose.

onephatcupra

so re circ is the small hose that comes off the top of the dump valve??