Rear Tyre Consumption?

Rampage

Trainee Northener
May 24, 2003
They failed to fix it repeatedly and eventually told me that they all do that sir.
Then a kid in a BMW wrote it off for me.

It may surprise you that I wouldn't get another!

First time I read it, I thought it said : Kid on a BMX wrote if off.

For some reason it's always BMW's that crash into new cars :confused:

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
I got my rear geometery realigned when I bought the car new, read a few posts about the problem and decided that £25 to cure the problem was better than a set of tyres every farts end.

Anyway, car has now covered 32k and the tyres are nearly done on the back end. About another 2k left in them or so. ;)

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
I got my rear geometery realigned when I bought the car new, read a few posts about the problem and decided that £25 to cure the problem was better than a set of tyres every farts end.

Anyway, car has now covered 32k and the tyres are nearly done on the back end. About another 2k left in them or so. ;)

Hi Ya,

Thanks for the input - Where did you get yours done ? My dealer is quoting around the £100 mark to put this right if SEAT don't cover it.

Steve

p.s. Also did that mean you got 30K+ miles out of the rears as a result ?

captainzlog

I had mine done by Meadens (Lymington). The geometry re-alignment was done under warranty and SEAT paid for 60% of the cost of the new tyres - my bill was £65 for two new rears, which I thought was fair value as I'd had nearly 20K out of them and the cheapest I have seen these tyres is £95 each.

Touch wood this seems to have solved the problem.

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
I had mine done by Meadens (Lymington). The geometry re-alignment was done under warranty and SEAT paid for 60% of the cost of the new tyres - my bill was £65 for two new rears, which I thought was fair value as I'd had nearly 20K out of them and the cheapest I have seen these tyres is £95 each.

Touch wood this seems to have solved the problem.

Just spoke to them and they can help me should my local dealer not come up trumps.

Thanks for the comments

DaveysFR

May 28, 2008
Northern Ireland: Limavady
Hi mate, yes I got 30k+ out of my factory rear tyres.

I got mine done in a local tyre retailers called Rapid Fit, I think they are a national chain, cost £25.

Ask for a four wheel alignment check, thats what I had done. They adjusted the camber at the rear end of the car by adjusting the two large nuts located on the back axle which join the bottom arms onto the axle.

Somewhere like this or ATS Euromaster will be able to sort it out for you mate.

Hope this helps [B)]

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
Spot on DaveysFR - I will contact them now :)

Steve

Also did you get this adjustment done when the car was brand new ? Or did you discover this info a little later then get it done ?

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
Spoke to the dealer earlier and he let me know that my chassis number is NOT included in the faulty batch - Out by a tune of 100K units apperently :-S

They are now putting a case together to do the work as a good will case - I am not holding my breath TBH - Spoke to Meadens today and they reckon if SEAT don't cover it then it is about £400+

Current dealer reckons should have an answer by next week - Will keep you posted...

Thudd

£400?!?!

My dealers just took it to the local 2wheel geo place, took some readings, meddled with it, got the readings checked again.

It cost them 2x£17 a visit. I saw the receipt, and the geo readings.

That said, they never fixed the problem.
The second time I took it back to say it was no different I got the "It's within the manufacturer's parameters mate" brush off.

Swapped front to back and got vibration whitefinger off the steering :D

Good luck getting it sorted, but I strongly suspect that They All Do That Sir.

Out of interest, do you straddle speed cushions?

djnemesis

Aug 17, 2008
No sadly if I did straddle the speed cushions I wouldn't have anything to moan about...

The thing is I just want to get this sorted - I am now waiting for SEAT to come back to my dealer to find out whether they will cover it i.e. the geo work + a % of the new rears.

The whole saga is really starting to p*ss me off as I do around 2-3K miles per month.

Its funny your comment about the "They all do that Sir" - That's exactly what the lovely helpful man at SEAT customer services said.

mandy12

Although I've had my Seat Leon TFSI 2.0 for nearly 2 years, for the last 3 months I have had the roar/rumbling from the rear wheels that everyone else has been commenting on. I am so pleased to know that I am not the only one experiencing this problem!
Seat have just looked at the car and have done nothing but tell me that it is a known problem with the Seat Leon's, it is to do with the wheel alignment and and basically there is nothing they can do other than I need to get new replacement tyres.
It seems to be just the offside rear tyre affected and has feathered very badly on the inside of the tyre. The rest of the tyre seems to still have plenty of tread but the noise when driving is making driving quite an unpleasant experience. A shame when I have been so pleased up to now with my Leon.
After having read everyone's comments with regards to the same problem I shall now be going back to my Seat dealer armed with this info. They HAVE to do something and accept responsibility to what appears to be a real problem with the car and not the tyre. (I have Bridgestones).
If anyone has any more advice which they think may help my case, please let me know, I shall be really grateful!

Thanks!

mandy12

Hi
My Leon has a rear tyre problem similar to yours. What was the outcome with them looking at your car and was there a service bulletin?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mandy12

I have this problem at the moment. Can now done 20k just replace the fronts as they were shot, but rumble from the rear. Took it back to dealer who said the it was uneven wear on the inside edges of the rears, mever mentioned the service bullitin.

Does anyone have a bullitin number or somthing??
Hi
My Leon has a rear tyre problem similar to yours. What was the outcome with them looking at your car and was there a service bulletin?
Thanks

shafton red

I have had the same problem and my local dealer who i wont name but are very local have been useless and not only with this paticular issue. Cause they were that useless i thought i would send Seat UK an email...... look at this for a response, joke if you ask me!

Thank you for your recent enquiry and interest in SEAT UK.

Your vehicle the Leon 2.0 TDI FR has the rear wheel alignment set deliberately for best road holding, the down side to this is the tyre wear will not be even all around the tyre. Since the tyres are not wearing evenly, this may cause some road noise.

If you require any help or further information please do not hesitate to contact us at SEAT UK.

I have just sent them an email back telling them that this isnt acceptable and 4000miles before changing rear tyres isnt normal so we'll wait to see what they come back with this time!:censored:

MIKE THOMPSON

Sep 12, 2008
Bridgend- Mid Glamorgan
Rear tyre wear - Leon Mk 2 FR:

I have an 07 registration and have had similar problems - the rear bridgestones were according to the tyre dealer looking like 50p bits on the inside edges - sent tyre to Bridgies - bt no deal -shot after 14,500miles. last car a Leon 20VT rears never had this problem.
Fix is new tyres - try assymetric pattern and get the alignment on alll four wheels checked - mine was found to be in spec! So had the camber angle adjusted and now watching wear.
If there's any SEAT dealers out there this seems to be a problem with the aggressive set up at the rear - guess you can't have everything.

Mike

Thudd

They told me twice that the camber couldn't be adjusted, and when I pointed at the BIG FRIGGIN BOLT FOR ADJUSTMENT told me that they were the experts.

If the car wasn't dead i'd still be following this up.

As it stands i'm well shut and won't be having another - but it's also put me off eg Golf GTi on the same platform [:@]

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
Anyone got the service bulletin?

Minesi n for service in January, I've put up with it for this long so a few more months won't hurt....

lil_pidge

Aug 12, 2008
My Story!!

I know this post is old now, but I thought I'd add my story in case anyone is still reading this thread...
I had the suspected bearing rumble, progressively getting worse from 10k onwards (now at 17k), checked out the Forum and then looked at my rear tyres. Sure enough, had the dodgy wear. Dealer checked my VIN and it fell outside of the range that SEAT expects to have alignment problems.
Dealer told me to get the alignment checked at my own expense and then they would submit a claim to SEAT if the alignment was out. After much arguing, this I did this. Used Tyres & Exhaust Galore in Leicester. Excellent service - full check and adjustment for £35!
Submitted paperwork to dealer, showing passenger side rear wheel toe out, and they duly submitted claim. SEAT came back to say "Nothing wrong - within tolerances, here's £20 for your trouble".
Sounds to me like 'hush' money, but that's fine - I wasn't expecting anything!
During one of my many 'discussions' with my dealer service desk, they came up with a couple of nuggets of info...
1) SEAT are now recommending Continental Sport Contact 3 tyres now. (Apparently) they have a harder compound on the inside edge which will help with the way the rear camber is setup on the Leon.
2) This problem only tends to affect the 'sport' models, i.e. the FR and anything with a 'Sport Pack' (like mine!).
3) SEAT have recently enlarged their tolerances, so if you get your Leon checked at a dealer, bear in mind your car wheels may still be boss-eyed despite what they say!

BTW, since correcting the alignment, my fuel consumption has improved by approx 2mpg! Worth £15 in approx 2,800 miles by my calculations!! :confused:

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
Thanks for the info...

Has the rumble now gone away by simply getting the adjustment done?

Mine is a stylance with a sports pack, 56 plate, 15k miles and with the bridgestone's and the rumble is there with avengance...

lil_pidge

Aug 12, 2008
Afraid not - once the tyres are miss-shapen, that's it - the rumble will be there forever!
I'm told the tyres need to be replaced to get rid of the rumble noise. At £100 a pop though for new tyres, I'm waiting until they run out of tread! I need two new ones on the front now as well (normal wear!), and I really can't afford £400 at the mo!
Mine's a Stylance with sport pack, 57 plate, 17k.
Another gem for you...I think the dealer said there was a claim cut off point of 16k miles, so it might be worth getting yours checked out a little earlier (not that it will do you much good if my experience is anything to go by!)...
Cheers!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.