Crazy Wipers

iolaire

I run a W plate 1.4S (MPI engine) the flaming front and rear wipers have a life of their own coming on of the own accord and then not going off for ages. Probably a SEAT ploy to increase wiper blade sales!

I had much the same problem on my old Mk II Golf, when I stripped down the column switch and cleaned up the contacts all worked OK for the next five years that I owned it. Just a bit unsure with the Ibiza about the steering column due to the airbag! I imagine it's not a relay problem as it's affecting both motors (front and rear)

Any assistance gratefully received.

Blucupra

Jan 1, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
I had the same a while ago. I got the stalk replaced, this cured it for me.

It also drived me mad, when the sun is shining I drove with the wipers on, very annoying

(the airbag can be detached with one plug. If you don't trust it you could always disconnect the battery. Then the airbag can't go off)

iolaire

Cheers

I thought as much - my local SEAT dealer reckoned they didn't know how to remove the steering wheel!!!

I will have a go over the weekend...

iolaire

Sorted!

The stealers had damaged one of the three star headed bolts behind the steering wheel, I spent all morning drilling the f*cking thing out (tricky place to get into). Once I had the steering wheel off I cleaned all the contacts, gave them a light smear of Vaseline and bingo jobs a good un!

I now have a steering wheel whose airbag is only secured with two bolts and a sheared bolt stuck in the airbag captive screw hole - no idea what they might cost me to replace! Plus a fell out of the car backwards when I broke off a grab handle smacking my head against my fence - all because some spotty herbert of a so-called mechanic chewed the head of the bolt with his air-line driven screwdriver! These clowns don't deserve to be trading under any brand/marque...

Cheers

iolaire

Still faffing about with this problem, air bag light now on permanently and wipers still have a life of their own...

Anyone got the VAG part number for the stalk for this model, it has a switch on the end for the rear wipers and looks like the same thing on a Polo of the same vintage.

Cheers in advance