Sparks from the back maybe?

cubias

Mar 12, 2007
Harrogate, N.Yorks
Hi everyone

Having a bit of a stress....

Just been out for a bit of a drive. Put my foot down going up this hill and accelerated to about 90 mph. Come off the gas at the top of the hill and look in the mirror and it looks like there were sparks flying up at the back.

:confused: Wtf could it be?

Don't think it was mud been kicked up and then been illuminated in my lights and there isn't anything hanging off.

Should I take it to get checked?

Cheers

PS its a remapped FR tdi

Mar 15, 2008
Hatfield, Herts
Only time I've had sparks out the exhaust in a diesel was my Mondeo TD and that was when I blew the engine up :lol:

Had flames out the exhaust of my "running a bit rich" RS Turbo in the past as well - good 6ft flame on the over-run - looked good in the dark, not so much fun cleaning Diamond White paintwork afterwards though :cry:

CHR15B

May 5, 2005
Scotland
It's normal... I've had it on my car too.

Something to do with heated particles coming out of the exhaust. :)

depresion

Dec 14, 2005
How hard were you pushing it? It was probably just carbon heated by the turbo.

Though if you can see them glowing you are looking at temperatures in excess of 1100c. Or "a bit warm" in technical terms.

Last edited:

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
My old Ibiza used to do it quite a lot apparently- had 4 people on different occasions comment on it. They basically involved and 'enthusiastic' drive after a few weeks without blowing out the cobwebs. Basically its some carbon igniting. It also had a mufflerectomy fyi.

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
Ive had this twice... Doing the same thing :) spirited drive in 6th gear for about a mile, creates a nice view for others. Just the crap coming out the exhaust a bit hot, clearing out the pipes :).

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
When I was younger, I used to end up driving tractors quite a bit and when you were towing a heavy load for a long time and forcing the fuel distribution system (DPA pump) to deliver maximum fuel at maximum engine load, the exhaust note was quite "full" and lots of hot carbon would get chucked out - a great noise!

Red Rum

Using "the fuel of Satan"
Jun 29, 2007
Durham
Yeah , had it happen quite a few times. Its fun to watch and even better when your mate its behind you cr@pping himself because the thinks the cars on fire:lol: