Toledo - Opinions

Mat

Just rang the guy, he has sold it!

Anyway, seein as I'm looking around, opinions on which engines/models would be great

Well, the tolly I have is my second car (first was a daihatsu sportrak 1.6), its a P-reg mk1 2.0 Litre 16 Valve GTi producing around 150BHP and I gotta say its bloody quick. It's got all the creature comfords (all electric inc sunroof, aircon). The stereo that came with it is dated (some old landrover autoreverse casette / digital radio) but the speakers are quite good. Half leather seats are nice, car is very reliable.

My only gripes with it are the following, and these are exclusively problems with my car, not the series:

1. The front offside (the drivers door) electric window has come off its runner so I have to pull it up to get it to go up straight after I've put the window down
2. Clutch sticks a little, makes hill starts quite amusing (its either spin the wheels or stall it)
3. Drivers door interior courtesy lamp switch appears to be knackered - Fixed, copper contacts had corroded, sandpaper fixed it
4. Other half broke off one of the plastic door sills, then tried to insist it was broke before that - Fixed
5. Great big whopping scratch down the left side, I think the previous owner cheated on his mrs

With exception to the scratch, I've got the time to fix the rest this bank holiday weekend, gonna clean her up and get her looking the biz again :)

Last edited:

rdv

Bought a 2.0 GLX in 1994, no probs in 60,000 miles but sunroof failed for next owner. Bought a 2.0 SXE in 1998, so far only had to replace the ECU relay in 65,000 miles. So for a well specified cheap car I like them

spike70

spike70
Sep 26, 2008
UK
Had my V5 for 5 years never given any trouble (except tyres....which is probably
my fault)
Always astonished by performance....and that engine noise..superb.
Big drawback.........depreciation
:cry:

MarkBournemouth

Depends what you mean by "old" Toledo. Mk.1 or Mk.2? I've got a Mk.2 20V SE, so this is for that model. If you are looking at a Mk.1, then don't read any of this(!)

Very good car mechanically, solid and well put together. The only problems seem to be the odd electrical fault.

Watch out for the brake light switch. It's not a very good design and it's common for them to go without warning. It's the same unit as on all the equivalent VW's, Audi's and Skoda's, so pretty easy to get a hold of. Not so much of a problem if you've got a manual, but if like me, you've got an automatic, it's a right pain. Essentially you'll be stuck in 'park' until you replace it. I speak from experience.....[:@] My advice if you do get a Mk.2 Tolly is, get a spare switch from the dealer, only about £10. Keep it in the car then if it goes when you're out and about, get the AA or RAC guy to fit it. You'll save yourself a packet in dealer labour costs.

The other potential problem I would mention is the electric window regulator. Funnily enough, mine went yesterday, resulting in the drivers window disappearing into the door. Again, not hard to put right- a new regulator is around £43 (without the door membrane) and £73 (with the door membrane- MUCH easier to fit) from my local dealer.

Oh, make sure you check the timing belt has been changed if it's done over 60-70k miles. If the belt sheds it will total the engine, so check that's been done. The period between service intervals are not sparkling I'm afraid. Every 10,000 miles but as with all VW stuff, if you keep these up to date you should be okay.

The MAF sensor can go on these as well. Another fairly common fault. That's it for electricals, but there may be others I'm not aware of.

One other thing that may or may not become a pain, is the boot opening....remember this is for a Mk.2 not a Mk.1 (which is a hatchback). Although the boot is cavernous, (the back seats fold as well); the opening is pretty 'letter-boxy' and fairly low so it can be a bit of a squeeze.

Other than that, if you make sure the service history is sound, it should give you good service. I love mine, despite the little problems. Something a little different from the more common Leon. Anyway, if you do get one, best of luck. Two years of ownership, and I'd still happily buy another one hands down.

HTH;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam20v

Nov 8, 2003
Dubai UAE
Visit site
1.820v

Temperature sender sometimes goes........the little temperature guage will develop a mind of its own!!!
My MAF went, easy to fix though with replacement.

Common to all MKIV Vdub chassis is the dreaded bushes....wishbone and rear axle....with age they rip....(excellent opportunity to replace with poly bushes though)

there are the re occuring leaks....wet floor carpets, but when identified it can be sorted by resealing the doors....no drama.

Water pump.....the OEM plastic ones deteriorate with time....costs pence to get it replaced at the same time as the timing belt and tensioners

they are cracking cars, but like anything with age they wear out....i wouldnt hold it against the mk2 though....i really miss mine!!!

Cibao

Had a 2002 TDi manual transmission. very nice car. Besides maintenance (filters, oil, etc) no known problems.
Have now a 2001 1.6 petrol automatic transm. Nice also, but small engine power for the weight of the car. Auto trans, not very good, it has "some valves" issues and not shifting good form P to R and D to R.
Besides that will recommend the Toledo very much. At least more reliable car than Peugeots which I've had before.

Last edited by a moderator: