Milltek OR Mufflerectomy?

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Evening all,

I've read various posts on how good the Milltek system is and how good a mufflerectomy is too. My girlfriend has said she will buy me the Milltek cat-back for my birthday next month. I will also be getting the hi-flow cat/downpipe if I do get the Milltek and the cat/downpipe is worth it.

Just wanted people's opinions on what's best? Milltek or Mufflerectomy?

It's to go on a FR TDI.

Cheers,
Ross

PS - Where's the cheapest place to get a Milltek? Was going to order from Awesome GTI.

DazWood

W60DY D
Mar 30, 2008
Hartlepool
Id go for miltek, just coz thats wot im gettin lol. but i think the miltek system will be worth the cash spent. i think Awsome GTI is the cheapest u can find brand new anyways.

Mar 8, 2007
Whether you get just the backbox lopped of or not is up to you.

I didn't as it seems a bit of a bodgey half arsed way to go about things IMHO - no offence to anyone who has done it but thats how I feel.

However, as for the CAT - either keep it in or get rid of it all together. Sports cat is a waste of time and money on a diesel.

With a DECAT you'll get quicker spool up from the turbo and it will feel less restricted in the upper echelons of the rev range. It also sounds VERY VERY NICE when booting it and the turbo sucks like a hoover.

However, the exhaust will smell a little.

RossIBIZATDI

RossTDI
Dec 26, 2007
Yeah I agree, and I did ring around a few gargages and none of them seemed to want to do it for me. Think I will go with the Milltek.

Not really read up on the high flow downpipe thing but heard it gives a bit more power. For now though, I'm just going to get the cat-back system non-res.

T. Spark

Your only upgrading for sound I assume, as no power increase will be had either (really) so why spend £100's when you can spend less, and get the same thing?

If you wanna piss money down the drain you should have got a VW badge ;)

Honestly mate, whats the point in a miltek? I dont have one and I dont see miltek ibiza tdi's running 13.8 second 1/4 times and running 230bhp ;)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Your only upgrading for sound I assume, as no power increase will be had either (really) so why spend £100's when you can spend less, and get the same thing?

If you wanna piss money down the drain you should have got a VW badge ;)

Honestly mate, whats the point in a miltek? I dont have one and I dont see miltek ibiza tdi's running 13.8 second 1/4 times and running 230bhp ;)

What I was thinking ^^

Altech

Ibiza PD170
Oct 3, 2007
London
I recently had my back box taken out and a custom pipe n R32 style exit made. This weekend I replaced my middle silencer with a straight pipe n dare I say it...it sounds a bit scoobyish!!

Dec 16, 2007
Gloucester/Cheltenham
Milteks sound lovely. But for the same power gains and similar sound (well unique!) you can save 200 quid.

Plus your open to anything sizewise. 3'' turbo back etc. Im tempted to get mine opened up more, but slightly concerned it may become to loud? Running 2.25 straight through from cat and the sound is there when you want it. Quiet as a whistle at any high speed unless your on the pedal.

Yella Beeza

Now which way?
Jun 4, 2007
Edinburgh
It really depends why you want the exhaust changed in the first place.

Does the existing one need replacing? Want to keep the car for a few years? Looking for a better sound?

If none of these apply, then get it remapped (Stage 1) and still have a bit of cash to spare for a few other bits.

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Also wondering the same as you

Miltek reasons for - well known, good sounding - with downpipe you hear the turbo spool and woosh sound ( technical term :) )

Mufler - cheap! Bt don't hear the turbo like a miltek :(

T. Spark

Milteks sound lovely. But for the same power gains and similar sound (well unique!) you can save 200 quid.

Plus your open to anything sizewise. 3'' turbo back etc. Im tempted to get mine opened up more, but slightly concerned it may become to loud? Running 2.25 straight through from cat and the sound is there when you want it. Quiet as a whistle at any high speed unless your on the pedal.

I heard someone got quoted near on £700 for a Milltek exhaust, fitted. WTF?!

Mine cost alot less, infact less than half and its a full system, 2.5 straight from turbo!

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Well yea, i suppose you ( me also ) could go to our local performance exhaust centre and get a Full system inc down pipe that should be cheaper? And still give the nice turbo sound that spark gets

Mar 8, 2007
Thats what I did, went to Prospeed cardiff got the full system done for £300 and got to choose my own tip and size of sports backbox.

Plus I've got a helpful local outlet should any problems arise backed by lifetime warranty :)

Mr_Dave

lnk cr b82rez 2g4!
Aug 8, 2007
Cheshire
Had my Milltek fitted on Friday.. decat and non-res.. Still quiet in normal driving, sounds amazing when you plant it.. And the turbo definately kicks in sooner! It's been worth every penny.

Dec 5, 2007
Kilmarnock, Ayrshire
Thats what I did, went to Prospeed cardiff got the full system done for £300 and got to choose my own tip and size of sports backbox.

Plus I've got a helpful local outlet should any problems arise backed by lifetime warranty :)

Was that with a new downpipe? If not then thats not much cheaper than a miltek...

Dave, how much did the lot cost you? My back box is pretty rusty so could use a new system.

Cheers

EdButler

Apr 24, 2005
Sheffield
No point in a Milltek - its the same diameter as the OE one isn't it!?

Mufflerectomy any day for me, 25% of the cost for the same gain. If you need something for big power, get a 4-1 manifold back 2.5-3" system. Job done.

T. Spark

No point in a Milltek - its the same diameter as the OE one isn't it!?

Mufflerectomy any day for me, 25% of the cost for the same gain. If you need something for big power, get a 4-1 manifold back 2.5-3" system. Job done.

Job done then :)

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members