2.0 8v - increased fuel consumption.

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
My fuel consumption has mysteriously increased. I'm only getting about 27mpg at a steady 80 on the motorway and average consuption is around 27 too. Over 80 and it drops rapidly.

Nothing showing on vag-com.
I've checked the breather hose thoroughly, no splits.
Plugs look fine.
It starts fine and there are no other obvious signs of a problem. However, when first started cold (outside temp 10 degrees) the idle isn't much above 1000 rpm - I'd expect it to be higher.
I fitted a new air temp sensor to the airbox a while ago as it didn't have one (and a fault code went).

I'm going to look at the throttle body next and change the Coolant Temperature Sensor. (I don't think it's the throttle body)

Any other suggestions please? :)

Jun 17, 2007
Aberdeenshire
Coolant Temperature Sensor, i had to change that along woth my lamba sensor for the poor fuel consumption ( the coolant temp sensor was the culprit so the garage said)

Feb 20, 2005
Telford ay it...
Yep, coolant temp sensor is always a good one to change.

The 8v is a great engine but when it comes to finding an electrical/sensor problem it can be a nightmare.

....they do idle quite low on warm up from memory ;)

Saul

<b>SCN Admin</b>
May 21, 2001
check the fuel hoses into the engine bay and to the fuel rail, have a habit of perishing and leaking when cold (seal up when warm)

cant remember if they have a map sensor on the 8v?

orangemuffin

i love you all.......
Sep 24, 2008
yesterday
An FSE Boost Valve...

There like an uprated fuel managment system....increases fuel delivery into the engine...it has a cap on the top you can adjust. it made my 8v alot more responsive.

Cupra Kid

Has a TDI!!
Oct 13, 2005
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
they do hit just 1000 on warm up really, drops to around 850 when warmed up.

I'm getting high 30's on mine thanks to the loss in temperature (was 40's) so i guess yours should do that if going well.