DSG - yes or no

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
What is the DSG like without the paddles? I am gunning for an FR DSG but I know that when I do the sums and shake the piggy bank I may not be able to stretch for it so may go for the 2.0 TDI DSG. I think that I would really miss the paddles and am just wondering what people think of the manual usage with the stick? Is it still fun or do you end up just leaving it in auto all of the time?

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
perfect for 'sporty' driving with the TFSi, paddles or not.

utter shite on the PD140 - just didn't feel right

DSG haters (on tfsi) clearly haven't driven one.. DSG on track haters clearly haven't driven one - it was ace

However, new technology with a hefty replacement pricetag would see me running scared

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
it just felt like it wanted to upshift as it was just about to spool up, then the car just kicked down when all I wanted it to do was 'ride the torque'

maybe I was driving it 'wrong' but do try it for yourself

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
What is the DSG like without the paddles? I am gunning for an FR DSG but I know that when I do the sums and shake the piggy bank I may not be able to stretch for it so may go for the 2.0 TDI DSG. I think that I would really miss the paddles and am just wondering what people think of the manual usage with the stick? Is it still fun or do you end up just leaving it in auto all of the time?

The paddles are standard on the Leon FR (170 quid extra on the Golf :blink:), arent they standard across the range??? :shrug:

It's fine driving with the stick, the paddles are a bit more gimmicky for weekend playing anyway really, unless you drive 10 - 2 ALL the time.

rpmleon

RPM
Sep 9, 2007
Bedfordshire
My reply is based on your question.

I. E. not read previous responses!

Do not need to! The DSG box on the 2.0 Ltr TFSi FR is phenominal (great ++++++ if I have spelt it wrong :D)

As a TFSi DSG FR driver just waiting for the TFSi DSG Cupra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robdrums

"Bitchtits"
Feb 18, 2006
Surrey
I would say 'utter shite' is maybe a bit harsh on the diesel application of DSG. I have it on a PD140 and the only thing I don't like is the absence of paddles (and frankly I don't understand why it isn't an option, I would have paid for it, and indeed still would if I could find someone to retro fit them). However, it is alright in manual mode, but I can't say I use it very often.

97% of my time is spent in Drive and I find that fine, especially as in Sport the diesel engine doesn't always need more revs. However, for bendy country roads it's great as when you come out of a corner you're on the turbo's sweet spot right away without having to kick down.

I would agree, people that still bleat about manuals just haven't driven one or haven't learnt to use it properly. I can't honestly see many manual cars being produced in ten years' time. I drove one the other day for the first time in 6 months and I couldn't believe what a palaver driving used to be, more 'engaging' or not (pffft)

And I'm sorry to say, a PC really CAN shift better than a human - faster and at the right time. You control when it shifts with your right boot!

Rob

rpmleon

RPM
Sep 9, 2007
Bedfordshire

Stuff the paddles! Nice when on holiday for a bit of fun, same with the "push up" and "push down" facility with the gear lever!!!!!!!!!!!

Normal "Drive" "I personally find" will do the business with "Sports Mode" to sort out the Sunday Drivers and Chavs!

Not a "Granny Driver" or "Boy Racer" (i.e. not always quite legal!), I seem to be averaging approximately 30mpg with my 2.0 TFSi DSG!

Sorry not answered the question:

Test drove both Petrol and Diesel DSG Leons! My opinion is that petrol is far, far, far...................... superior!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Personal opinion of course!

Last edited:

G!zmond0

What the hell are you talking about ??

Go read up on how DSG works, and then think about whether you can disengage a single clutch, change gear and re-engage the clutch faster

It's never been about "how fast" mr. speciallist it's been about "when"

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
I am going to go for the Petrol FR with DSG, it has been decided. I don't really give a stuff about the fuel consumption as I only do a few miles anyway.

All I need to do now is sell the bleedin' Car I have got now and I will be away :)

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
the paddles are a bit more gimmicky for weekend playing anyway really, unless you drive 10 - 2 ALL the time.

Well I drive mostly with the paddles and leave my hands at 10-2. There's only the odd rare situation, say going round a mini roundabout, when you'd need to go from 1st to 2nd in the corner requiring more than 180 degrees of steering so the paddles are hard to use. In that case I use the stick or mostly just go for second as soon as I'm rolling, no need to change in the corner then, no problem.

I quite often find that I've been driving with the paddles fior a long time without taking my hands of the wheel. In fact having to take my hands of the wheel feels a bit odd now.

Last edited:

FlatCap

Aug 6, 2008
Bolton, Lancs
I am going to go for the Petrol FR with DSG, it has been decided. I don't really give a stuff about the fuel consumption as I only do a few miles anyway.

Man after my own heart!!! At about 6 or 7K a year who gives a flying about fuel consumption :thumbup:

Well I drive mostly with the paddles and leave my hands at 10-2. There's only the odd rare situation, say going round a mini roundabout, when you'd need to go from 1st to 2nd in the corner requiring more than 180 degrees of steering so the paddles are hard to use. In that case I use the stick or mostly just go for second as soon as I'm rolling, no need to change in the corner then, no problem.

I quite often find that I've been driving with the paddles fior a long time without taking my hands of the wheel. In fact having to take my hands of the wheel feels a bit odd now.

Fair play, maybe i've just not got used to them yet..... Note for self: Drive using paddles all wee.
See!! How great is a car where there's that many ways to drive it you need to decide!!?!?
:seatgod:

bclark1979

Feb 6, 2004
Visit site
Man after my own heart!!! At about 6 or 7K a year who gives a flying about fuel consumption :thumbup:

Fair play, maybe i've just not got used to them yet..... Note for self: Drive using paddles all wee.
See!! How great is a car where there's that many ways to drive it you need to decide!!?!?
:seatgod:

Thats what really appeals to me about the Car, the fact that the driving experience can be so different each time! Its like you just get so much extra bang for your buck. :D

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
My FR is like 2 completely different cars, or maybe even 3 if you count S along with D and paddle mode.

In D its like an easy drive city car and in paddle mode its like a BTCC racer.

cupralite

Nov 26, 2004
Warrington
Novice alert !! :D

I am looking at the possibility of getting a Mark 2 Leon diesel - either Stylance or FR. I very much like the idea of the DSG gearbox and, from the above posts it seems like its a good option to go for.

Can someone tell me how it works when it doesn't have the paddles? Obviously it has the normal Drive mode like an automatic but how does the semi-auto bit work?

Apologies for the lame question!

Mogster

Apr 2, 2008
Its easier to drive than describe.

There's 3 driving modes D, S and Manual. As you say D is sort of city mode, saving pertol and changing up at about 3K, unless you push the pedal far enough to activate kickdown. S moves the changeup point to about 5K or more and gives ultimate traffic light GP performance. Moving the lever to the left in D mode lets you shift gears with the paddles or push/pull the lever.

The clever bit is that you can use the paddles even in D mode, click the paddles and the box will drop out of auto mode and shift gear as you want, after about 30 secs it'll return to auto mode or you can hold the right paddle and it'll return to auto.

In manual mode the gearbox will still auto downshift if the revs drop very low and upshift if you hold against the 6K rev limit for a second or so, so you can't damage the engine or get caught out in too high a gear at low speed. Apart from the aniti stall and rev limit it lets you do your own thing.

As I say its a lot easier to drive than it is to explain.

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
I vote yes for the DSG.

Last 3 cars have all had it and I don't ever want to go back to one of those antique things....oh what are they called now? ....Oh, yes.....manuals:cartman:

Justa

Nov 24, 2007
Derby
thanks for all the responses !

well good to see so many happy DSG drivers !

In the end I've gone for a normal box - I'll be picking up a 57 plate Leon FR T FSI on Friday !!

Can't wait.....

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
It's never been about "how fast" mr. speciallist it's been about "when"

What do you actually mean by this? I'm not sure on the details, but the whole point of the DSG as opposed to some traditional "flappy paddles" is that you decide when you can change gear, and it does it incredibly quickly.

I'm not arguing that it's necessarily better than a manual, but Gizmondo needs the correct facts first.

predo

Dec 26, 2005
Edinburgh
Ohhh please just stop bringing these topics up... I DO NOT want to read how fantastic this FR TFSI with DSG gearbox is... I WANT TO BUY one but need to shift my car first and wait until end of the month to sort out remortgaging first!

it hurts me reading how much fun you all lot have! :)

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise