Honest TDI FR Fuel Consumption

MatthewB

Oct 14, 2007
Be grateful! I'm struggling to find 27mpg driving like a granny, I did wonder why eveyone bought the FR in Diesel, now I know why.

Graham123

May 13, 2007
Mine got about 1500 miles on it and the overwhelming majority of my driving is stop start single carriageway stuff. Can't get it above 35 mpg. To be fair though motorways and steady constant speeds seem to improve it massively. I also suffer from a sllightly heavy right foot, which probably doesn't help.

CupraDaft

Jun 8, 2002
Scotland
Visit site
My best yet...602 miles out of one tank!!

I was forced to drive like a Granny. I shredded a tyre on the way home one night a couple of weeks ago and it took eight days before I could get a new tyre on so had to drive at 50mph with the silly little spare wheel.

After I got the new tyres on (was getting to the point of needing two fronts anyway so replaced the other tyre too), I tried to keep the speed down to see what I could get as I didn't have much fuel left.

I certainly couldn't live with having to drive like that all the time, but it was an interesting little experiment.

lil_pidge

Aug 12, 2008
I'll throw my hat in the ring and tell you that my 140PD Stylance with sport pack is getting about 46-47mpg (about 18,000 miles).
I drive like an old man - with the occasional overtaking manoeuvre just so I remember what the good old days of fuel at 60p/litre were like!!).
It did improve by about 2mpg once I got the rear wheels aligned and pointing in the same direction!!
I also check the computer against my sums fairly regularly, and it's pretty damn close!

adriaticman

Jan 13, 2008
essex
Ive got a pd140 dsg stylance. Done 21000 mls average 43.6 over last 3000 miles (uncorrected up to 4-5 % overeading), since new average only 40.67 mpg (tank to tank corrected) using millers + shell or bp fuel. Drive sedately now, which is boring, but get just over 500 miles per tank mixed driving conditions. Only really hammered it on one journey, when mpg improved and coverred a 90 mile journey in 20 minutes less!

dannybyrnes

My FR TDI has 8k on the clock and I average 28 - 32 mpg and the best I've had is 40mpg on an 80 mile journey. I've been back to Seat many times with no joy. I've even considered giving the car back and going back to my 1999 Ibiza GTI which only has 44k on the clock!!

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I purposely didn't use millers on my last tank and have been getting 4-5mpg worse than normal... I needed to get a new bottle and wasn't sure it was making much of a difference but it seems it does!
I have been getting 46-47mpg on my commute to work when I usually get 50 easily...
Even on short trips I normally get close to 40 but been struggling last couple of weeks to get past 35!!

Feb 12, 2006
North Lincolnshire.
I usually get mid 30s to 40 odd in my fr.Anyone who says otherwise is either kidding themselves or driving grandad style or on an exceptionally good run on motorway or something. After all in these cars you feel the need to drive it lead footed anyay.

Dec 15, 2007
South East London
I usually get mid 30s to 40 odd in my fr.Anyone who says otherwise is either kidding themselves or driving grandad style or on an exceptionally good run on motorway or something. After all in these cars you feel the need to drive it lead footed anyay.

Very true, you can get decent mpg if you stick to about 2k revs which is what I do on my way to work, I mean who wants to race to work?

I got an FR TDI because I wanted a car that can get me to work and back (35miles a day) without breaking the bank and that I could also have some fun in too (which I do)

I had to drive an elderly relative from London to Andover a couple of months ago and easily got 50+mpg but then I could have been wearing a cloth cap and leather gloves...

Your estimate of mid 30's to low 40's is probably towards the bottom end of the averages but then with a name like Fast Al it should be!

DaveP

Small Member
Oct 3, 2001
Wiltshire
Visit site
Sunday started out at 5.30am and set the cruise at 70-75, wasn't in a rush to the 160miles needed. Got 42mpg - was disappointed. Return journey was exactly the same road in reverse, and was faster (on a special motorway system where 80-90 was legal) and the average was 45mpg!

dannybyrnes

I've been back to Seat a few times and even written to Mr Schmitt and was basically told that they wouldn't expect anyone to get the figures they quote as they are only there for guidence.......nice customer service!

demonear

Sep 18, 2008
Edinburgh
I've been back to Seat a few times and even written to Mr Schmitt and was basically told that they wouldn't expect anyone to get the figures they quote as they are only there for guidence.......nice customer service!

Seems like they're (the quoted figures) only there to mislead customers & sell cars. After that we get the real figures. Stealers can't be trusted & manufacturers can't either half the time the :censored:

Nocturnity

Wow - I must be a 'grandad' driver then - I always get 50+.

I ended up photographing my average MPG the other day - 73.4!!!!!!

Nocturnity

The photo will be posted in this thread when I get back from work :D

Then I'll get accused of photoshopping lol :)

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.