Possible water leak Ibiza FR (3dr)

vinyldj

Please note: I have already posted this in the Problem Issues Q&A thread not much response - so I'll try my luck here.

Seat Ibiza FR (3dr)

Maybe someone else has had this problem?

Water is getting in somewhere around the top of the passenger door outside at the rubber seal above the window, it gets inside onto the velvety part that goes around the inside of the door. This happens when it rains or when I jet wash it (its worse when I jet wash it). The rubber seal certainly seems to attach itself to the metal ok when the door is closed - any ideas ppl? Silicone Sealent possible fix but where?

Keen to avoid a trip to my dealer.

Thanks in advance.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
there is a sort of loop attached to the body of the car
It is visible when the door is open (opposite side of the hinges)

you can loosen the screws and move the loop in wards (to wards the seats) a few millimeters (draw round it with a felt tip pen before you move it so that you can see exactly how much you have moved it

only move it in wards/out wards as if you move it up/down you will make the door sit at an angle and stress the hinges

I think you will need a set of TORX bits to loosen the screws, these are very cheep, you can get a full set for a couple of quid at the local market or a couple of quid each for quality ones

TORX bits look like allen bits but they are a sort of star shape

any more info needed let me know

vinyldj

would need to buy the Spline bit, not in the tool box ;)

trip to the dealer :think:

thanks for advice will get it done. Hope it works

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
doubt the dealers will sell you one of their tools

just go to halfords or B@Q mate and get a set for a few quid

or go to the dealers and ask them to adjust your door in a little on the striker

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I think you will need a set of TORX bits to loosen the screws, these are very cheep, you can get a full set for a couple of quid at the local market or a couple of quid each for quality ones

TORX bits look like allen bits but they are a sort of star shape

Its definitley NOT torx too many points.. and I had to order them off the tinterweb as I couldn't find anyone local who stocked them

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
well mate mine are deffo TORX bits, got them from the tool van at work
and they fit perfectly

AFAIK TORX are the people who invented the star type of fitment so that they can be "torqued" up more due to the bigger surface area

I am an engineer and I am not aware of another type of fitment like TORX, I thought it was an industry standard

have looked on mine and my TORX bits have 6 points as do the screws on my IBIZA FR

also looked on the RS cdrom that I have and the other cheep copy's are also 6 point

check here too

http://www.toolspot.co.uk/Torx?gclid=CM2MzZyt5osCFRROQwodtzN9Uw

Last edited:

vinyldj

Thanks for the advice guys, will try and get from Halfords and the likes and give it a go.

Nath.

The Gentlemans Express
Jan 1, 2006
EASTLEIGH, HAMPSHIRE
Just going from my 02 and 52 plate leons, 2x52 plate and an 05 plate ibiza and they were all 12 point splines on the door and boot strike plates.

Splines are also called trisquare.

As a fellow engineer I know these can often be found in places where the maximum torque for a torx head is exceed for tightening.

http://www.diytools.co.uk/diy/Main/Product.asp?iProductID=35141

ok, not noticed anything other that the 6 point (torx) ones on any cars that I have worked on

then again I am a printing press engineer and most stuff is pretty big (56 mm sockets) are the norm

interesting that the screws are changing on the SEAT'S, pedro must run out of a box of one type and then start on another :(

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
ive always called the 6 points torx and the 12 points mulisplined torx they chop and change across all vag models weird!

D4V2K1

Please note: I have already posted this in the Problem Issues Q&A thread not much response - so I'll try my luck here.

Seat Ibiza FR (3dr)

Water is getting in somewhere around the top of the passenger door outside at the rubber seal above the window, it gets inside onto the velvety part that goes around the inside of the door. This happens when it rains or when I jet wash it (its worse when I jet wash it). The rubber seal certainly seems to attach itself to the metal ok when the door is closed - any ideas ppl? Silicone Sealent possible fix but where?

Thanks in advance.

Did you get this problem sorted mate?

I sometimes get the same issue on my drivers door but only when it rains really bad. :doh:

BlackFR

Jan 22, 2002
Not too far away
I managed to fix the problem with water on my ibiza after months of searching by me and a dealer!

It turned out it was the appeture seal around the door opening. It wasn't pinching the body tightly enough and was litterally sucking water up that was pooling on the sill via cappillary action.

In heavy rain with the carpet up it would take about a litre of water on in 2 hours. The new seal was £23 ish if your car is out of warrenty and is fixable.

To test if it is happening to yours open the door on the side its happening on, pull up the carpet and have someone observe the area of metalwork on the floor pan with a rebate in it that goes up to the sill. Then pour water down the outside edge of the appeture seal near to the door striker. After a bit the rear footwell will start to fill with water.

Hope that helps someone out!

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello

Seat Ibiza FR (3dr)

Thanks in advance.

Ive had this problem on and off.

My local dealer have changed the door seals 3 times now(warranty of course) but it still carrys on . All as i get is little drips every now and again .i think it might be a design fault

Blakrover

Apr 28, 2010
Preston/Wigan
Sorry to bring a thread back from the dead but still.

Draper also call this fitment XZN

This looks about the right name for the piece I need after trying all the Torx, star and any other type of bit I have to no real avail. Just wondering does anyone know the size of the bit I should buy? I figure a fiver is cheaper than a trek to get it fixed at the dealers

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.