Maf on the way out? Edit - Fixed - now reading 163g/s

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
I have been experiencing limp mode in 5th lately and inconsistant power/boost levels ( How it feels, i have no boost gauge to be sure) and a week ago the engine management light came on.

Vagcom says:
16501 - Engine Coolant Temp. Sensor (G62): Signal too Low
17536 - Long Term Fuel Trim mult.,Bank1 System too Lean
17832 - 17832 P1424 Sec.Air Inj.Sys.,Bank1 Leak Detected
18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low

Im obviously not bothered about the bottom two but im worried about the lean-code.

Im still getting good mpg (39mpg at solid 75mph motorway and combined 35mpg still) - so i wouldnt expect the lambda to be out?

I have logged the car and in 3rd at 5300rpm it was reading 98.39 g/s thats with a ptorque remap.

I should expect more than this even on a standard car shouldnt i? - The car is still coming on boost as hard as usual but as i say its inconsistant and often feels like its overboosting higher than it used to.

From the maf reading would people say its the maf? - Im going to get a new coolant temp sensor, and later change the n75 and maf for items from my dads toledo 1.8t and see what i log then.

Any suggestions/ views welcome, i dont want to waste money on sensors that dont need changing.

Rick

Last edited:

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
Just unplugged the maf, doesnt drive too differently to before, boost is smoother though.

Im going to get a bosch maf from gsf a bit later and a coolant temp sensor.

Taa for the help chaps.
Rick

Last edited:

Rick1.8t

Feb 18, 2006
All sorted now.

Got and fitted the new Maf, reset the ECU and did some logs.

Its pulling average 163g/s @ 6200 in 3rd - which i think may be a little optimistic for a stg1 remapped cupra. - anyone care to comment?

Last edited:

laffaklad

I also have this problem, which has been slowly getting worse over the last month. I unplugged my MAF yesterday and the car performed like a dream (as it should do), but the dash warning light is still on after I plugged the MAF back in.

Firstly is it normal for the light to remain on and secondly, how long is it safe to drive round with the MAF unplugged?

Reuvers

I is a Dutch man!
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
there is people here that have driven for quite some time (weeks maybe months) with maf unplugged, however I advise you not to.

as for the light, certain fault codes remain in the memory of car until you delete them with vagcom. Even if you dissconnect battery the fault code reappears after driving for a few meters

SeatR

Mar 17, 2008
Norway, Bergen
Hey ppl. i've don a read with vagcom an got 141g/s maf reading. and wondering if this is my cause to low boost.

if i unplug the maf, would the g/s go higher?

May 25, 2004
Newport, South Wales
If you unplug the maf it isn't going to 'read' anything because it's unplugged! It'll run of default settings within the ECU.
141g/s seems about right for a standard cupra maybe slightly low for a remapped one. But then, at what rpm and gear was that reading taken?

Last edited:
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.